Thread: Connection Problems

sonnyw Guest

Default Connection Problems

I m using ZAPro6.5.737. I have a Motorola cable modem, Ethernet connected to a wireless router which is connected to my computer running Windows XP Pro. The modem has a standby/off button which I use whenever I leave my computer unattended for long periods. I realize there may be other ways to protect my computer but this is what I ve become accustomed to. Unfortunately, many times when I reengage the modem to access the internet my browser(Firefox or IE) cannot make a connection. Oddly enough, I ve found that unplugging then plugging the power supply to my router corrects the connection problem. I don t understand what s happening, but I d like to setup some rule in ZA if possible to avoid this problem. Any help would be appreciated.

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:6.5

billc Guest

Default Re: Connection Problems

Personally, I'd just leave your modem on knowing that Zone Alarm will block any intrusion attempts to your computer. Nothing will be able to get in while your away that wasn't able to get in while using your computer. My guess is when you use the "standby/off switch, your ISP no longer knows you're there and thus drops your connection. When you 'reboot' your modem, it sends a signal to your ISP saying "Hello. I'm here. Please assign me an IP". I don't see any real additional security risk in leaving your machine connected.

kirkmmckay Guest

Default Re: Connection Problems

Another suggestion is to use the automatic Internet lock feature in ZA which effectively blocks all external access.
    It may cause other issues but in most cases it does not and is worth a try.
    I have also found that standby and hibernate functions messes up all sorts of things so I do not use it.

Thread Information