Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Web Site Access problems

  1. #1
    oldshep Guest

    Default Web Site Access problems

    I've noticed lately that I have some problems with certain websites hanging or failing to load properly. Often I can hit reload and that will fix the problem (PCmag.com for example). Some websites this doesn't work though. I recently tried to get a software update from Solidworks website and when I clicked the link,
    the file download failed to initiate. When I shut down ZA, the download starts but IE informs me that the website wants me to load a download accelerator (slimdownload... something like that). Is there some setting in ZASS that I can change to minimize these access issues? I don't like to shut down the firewall to get access to these type of websites.
    Thanks,
    Oldshep
    XP Pro SP2IE7ZASS 6.5.737Spysweeper 5.2 w/AV

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    9,056

    Default Re: Web Site Access problems

    Hi Oldshep

    Adjust the Mobile Code for the sites in the ZA Privacy. If the site is not listed, then use the Add feature, and make sure that particular site has all green checks to it.

    Guru Hoov has a brief intro to this>

    http://www.donhoover.net/privacy.html



    Specifying which types of mobile code to block
    You can customize mobile code control by which types of active content to block and which to allow.

    To customize mobile code control

    Select Privacy|Main.
    In the Mobile Code Control area, click Custom.
    The Custom Privacy settings dialog appears.

    In the Mobile Code Control area, specify the types of mobile code to block.
    Block JavaScript Blocks JavaScript content, including that required for common uses such as Back and History links, rollover images, and opening and closing browser windows.
    Block scripts (vbscript, etc.) Blocks scripts that execute automatically, including those required for displaying banners, pop-up ads, and dynamic menus.
    Block embedded objects (java, ActiveX) Blocks objects embedded in Web pages, including sound and image files.
    Block mime-type integrated objects Block mime-type integrated objects Blocks objects whose MIME-type indicates that they are applications.
    Note: This option also blocks legitimate executable files sent through the browser, including downloads that you may want to allow. When this occurs, you'll see the error "This object has been blocked" in the browser. For downloads initiated by you, it is safe to disable the Block mime-type integrated objects feature.

    The "Common Ad Sites" of the Network found in the Shields section of the SpySweeper from Webroot has been known to block some web sites and sometime their feature.

    "Blocks known advertising web sites from displaying ads in your browser."


    The antiphising filter of the IE7 can possibily block sites, even mistakenly.

    Oldsod

    Message Edited by Oldsod on 11-20-2006 05:39 AM

    Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:5.x
    Best regards.
    oldsod

  3. #3
    oldshep Guest

    Default Re: Web Site Access problems

    Many Thanks Oldsod. I added the sites to the privacy site list w/ green checks across and everything seems to load fine now. I had forgot to mention in my previous post that Mapquest maps weren't showing up but when I added
    Mapquest to the privacy site list
    like you said it
    works just fine. As for your other suggestions:My mobile code control is off so I'm not sure if changing anything there would be helpful. I downloaded the info from Don Hoover's site and I'll take a look at that when I get a chance.Cookie control and Ad blocking are set to medium.I had disabled the Common Ad Sites shield from Webroot some time back because it was interfering with some other websites.As far as IE7 is concerned, this issue might be related because these problems seemed to start up around the time I updated to IE7. Anyway, looks like you got me on the right track and I very much appreciate it.
    Oldshep

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    9,056

    Default Re: Web Site Access problems

    Hi Oldshep

    A lot of overlap concerning content and site blocking from various software and applications- the firewall, the browser itself, the antispy, the antivirus, host lists, the router, adblockers and dedicated content filters and IP site blockers. Sometimes, this can be very confusing.

    I use all of these with the exception of the antispy. Some days that site or link just does not load. It does make life a little more interesting.

    Take care.

    Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •