Thread: Can't anyone stop him?

matriloch Guest

Default Can't anyone stop him?

I switched from Norton's because it didn't work and had no comprehensible support. This seems like a better product, but ... I put an extremely strong password on it, which is still working. However, when I was having problems and decided to reload ZA, I found I couldn't delete it. Although my password works within the program, it does not work to delete the program. Someone put another password there. Can I somehow get to this new password and delete it?
    Also, I got two strange alerts. I have a dial-up connection. When I'm not using my computer, I don't even leave it plugged into the phone line. When I turned it on (without its being plugged into the phone line), I got the following alerts.
    Advanced program - RepeatWindows NT Logon Application is trying to use Generic Host Process for Win 32 Services to act as a server.

Application:
    winlogon.exe

Source IP:
    0.0.0.0:Port 135
    Then
    Window NT Logon Application is trying to use generic host process for Win 32 services to access the Internet.

Application:
    winlogon.exe

Destination:
    IP 239.255.255.250: Port 1900
    I wasn't trying to go online. I get this alert every time I turn on my computer.
    Also, in my firewall trusted zone there's something called

Loopback adapter 127.0.0.1

IP address
    I didn't put it there, and I don't know what it is.

Default Re: Can't anyone stop him?

Hi

The 239.255.255.250 address is legitimate and safe. It belongs to I.A.N.A. Their NetRange is 224.0.0.0 - 239.255.255.255
    The 0.0.0.0 is also the I.A.N.A. Their NetRange is 0.0.0.0 - 0.255.255.255
    Something is misconfigured in your firewall and the PC needed to go there and resolve a proper name/address. It did this for you to allow you to continue your Internet activities. Even though you are not connected, the PC will be determined to connect- it is designed to do this and do it well at that.

The loopback address is the internal address of your PC. It is used just internally and not for the Internet or the Trusted Zones.

The NT Logon needs Trusted Access.

The Generic Host Process or svchost does need server rights for the Trusted Zone.

Do this>

To remove your password>

Boot your computer into the Safe Mode

Navigate to the c:\windows\internet logs folder

Delete the backup.rdb and iamdb.rdb files in the folder

Clean the Recycle Bin

Reboot into the normal mode

ZA will be just like new with no previous settings or data

This includes your password!

To remove the ZA using the preferred "/clean" uninstall>

- Click on Start -> Programs -> Zone Labs
    - RIGHT-click on Uninstall ZoneAlarm, then select Properties
    - Under Target you will see the following line (the actual drive may
    be different on your system):

"C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zauninst.exe"

Change it to:

"C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zauninst.exe" /clean

(add a space and then the /clean)

Open the Zone Alarm and disable the "Load Zone Alarm .. at startup" in the Preferences of the Overview. Then reboot.

-Return to the Uninstall ZoneAlarm in the Zone Labs of the All Programs
    - Click OK to run the uninstaller, and OK any security alerts that
    pop up.
    - say "Yes when being prompted for the removal of all files.
    - Reboot

Clean your Temp folders and use the Windows Disk cleaning utility. Then reinstall the ZA and use the Remember and Allow and OK in all of the ensuing popups.

THEN DO THIS>

Make sure your DNS and DHCP server IP's are in your Firewall's Trusted zone. Finding DNS and DCHP servers, etc

1. Go to Run type in command , hit 'ok', and type ipconfig /all then press enter. In the returned data list will be a line DNS and DHCP Servers with the IP address(s) listed out to the side.
    2. In ZA on your machine on the Firewall>Zones tab click Add and then select IP Address. Make sure the Zone is set to Trusted.
    3. Click OK and then Apply and see if that works to fix it.
    4. The loopback or localhost (127.0.0.1) must be listed as Trusted.
    6. The Generic Host Process (svchost.exe) must have server rights for the Trusted Zone. Plus it must have both Trusted and Internet Access.

Make sure the Internet Security Zone slider is at High (if using a router the medium is acceptable) and that the Trusted Security Zone is at Medium.

Oldsod

Message Edited by Oldsod on 11-21-2006 11:39 AM

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:5.x
    Best regards.
    oldsod

matriloch Guest

Thank you. That worked fine. I didn't realize, though, that I had to type cmd in the Run box to be able to use a DOS command. I finally discovered that and got ipconfig /all to work.
    Now I'm going to have to go through the whole process again. My husband spends hours on the computer, and they got into Zone Alarm. I was getting pop-up warnings every few seconds. While he was on the computer, they suddenly stopped. I know what that means. I'll just have to go through the procedure you taught me every time he uses the computer.
    Thanks again.

Go into the Properties of the Network Connections. Then select the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and select Properties. Then select the Advanced button of the Feneral tab. Then pick the WINS tab. Then uncheck the "Default" and select "enable NetBIOS over TCP" and deselect the "Enable LMHOSTS LOOKUP" and OK and OK and Close and then reboot.

This simple method will eliminate those port 135 BIOS alerts.

Also uncheck the File and Printer sharing- does tighten the security some more.

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information