Thread: 7.0 Beta killed Halo on my system

bennyboy Guest

Default 7.0 Beta killed Halo on my system

I just installed the ZA Suite 7.0 beta and Halo ceased to connect anymore. It keeps telling me that it cannot connect to the GameSpy master server. I then went to program controls and allowed Halo for everything (not the best practice but a good test), and it still didn't work. I then turned off the firewall and scanners, and it still didn't work. I uninstalled the Suite, it still didn't work. I reinstalled the Suite and then reinstalled Halo... and it still does not work.

It worked perfectly an hour before I upgraded to 7.0. Can anyone help?

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

billc Guest

Default Re: 7.0 Beta killed Halo on my system

I'm not sure what happened, but what I'd try is a System Restore to yesterday or earlier.

bennyboy Guest

I got 6.5 reinstalled, then uninstalled it... and lo and behold, Halo broke again. I did a clean uninstall, using the clean and rminstall options at the command line with the uninstaller. Using a program called Port Explorer, I can see that Halo isn't connecting to anything at all. I find this to be a very odd situation that I can only run Halo with 6.5 installed normally, its as if my system has developed a dependency somehow.

Edit: Yes, it seems to be the case. I've reinstalled 6.5... again... and Halo works again. Very strange.

Message Edited by Bennyboy on 11-23-200604:34 AM

billc Guest

Thank you for telling us just what did happen. I too find that very strange if you did a 'clean' uninstall of Zone Alarm and Halo did not connect but will with a fresh install. I'll have to think about that one. My guess is something got modified deep in the bowels of your registry along the way. I 'm thinking if you did a complete manual uninstall of Halo, a 'clean' uninstall of Zone Alarm followed by a fresh Halo install, it would then work. But if things are ok now, I'd not mess with it.

Thread Information