Thread: Zone Alarm Free & Smart FTP issues (I'M DESPERATE!)

phyllismc Guest

Default Zone Alarm Free & Smart FTP issues (I'M DESPERATE!)

After hours of searching the supports boards and implementing the suggestions I have found (to no avail), I'm hoping that anyone *bangs head on keyboard* can think of something different to help.

I run a website that requires daily updates. At this point, I can no longer upload anything using my Smart FTP program. After having that problem with McAfee Security Suite 2007, I uninstalled it and installed Zone Alarm, Free edition. I am still having the same issue; however. A problem I never had until I installed the firewall. I like Zone Alarm, but so far, have not been able to get useful answers.

Here are the steps I have taken so far:
    * Read support boards for both Zone Alarm and Smart FTP
    * Gave Smart FTP permission to access the internet
    * Set SMART FTP up with server permissions, as well.
    * Enabled Passive Mode in Smart FTP
    * Changed Program Control to Medium in Zone Alarm
    * Set Internet Zone Security to Medium in Zone Alarm
    * Added my site URL and IP tothe trusted list in Zone Alarm
    * Requested help on support boards for both programs.
    * Even installed a different FTP program to try it, and it doesn't work either.

Other things to consider:
    * My computer is on a 3 computer home network. It is not the main computer.
    * Smart FTP has worked flawlessly for a year and a half, and worked the day before I installed a firewall.
    * Smart FTP WILL CONNECT to my website, and show the directories. It simply will not upload to or download from it.

Needless to say, I'm at my wit's end! I have gone days without being able to update my website. And at this point, I feel like I'm out of options.

Can any of you help?
    Thanks so much in advance.

Message Edited by phyllismc on 11-23-200611:42 AM

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)
    Software Version:6.5

Default Re: Zone Alarm Free & Smart FTP issues (I'M DESPERATE!)

Hi

No software firewall installed before implies the Windows Firewall? This would mean all of the outbound ports were by default always open. The ZAFree and the ZAPro both keep ports closed by default. Allowing server rights in the ZAFree does set the ZA firewall to open and close the ports as needed, but the ZAPro does have advanced firewalling capabilities- specific ports to be opened can be designated.

The FTP uses the ports 20 and 21 or is it performed inside the browser? If the browser is used, then try allowing server rights to the browser.

Is the machine connected directly to a router or is this PC using another PC as a gateway? Is the gateway PC listed as trusted?

Are the gateway, DNS servers, DHCP server, loopback addresses listed as Trusted in the Zones of the Firewall?

Does the Generic Host Process (svchost.exe) have server rights for the Trusted Zone? Have you tried it with server rights for the Internet Zone?

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

phyllismc Guest

Hi, yes I had no firewall previously as my windows firewall had been corrupted and disabled a couple months ago by a bug. When it stopped functioning, I started using an old version of McAfee that came with my Dell. Once it expired, I ordered the new McAfee Security Suite 2007. Finding I had a problem with FTP using the new McAfee, I reluctantly uninstalled it and installed Zone Alarm. I liked Zone Alarm and I felt it was just as good and just as strong as the McAfee that I had just spent $90 for. So for all accounts and purposes, I would have been happy to keep ZA, except for that one FTP issue.

This computer uses a router/hub for connection.

I did set the ports 20-21 as open with my FTP program, as well as port 80. I believe I also set the FTP program with server permissions.

Some of the other things you mentioned I'm not sure how to do, as I was very new to the Zone Alarm program and don't know where some of the items are.

As I said, I really like Zone Alarm and all the security it offered, including the stealth surfing. However, I had been unable to update my website for almost a week at this point, and I was so frustrated and desperate, that I finally uninstalled all firewalls I had, ran a registry cleanup to get rid of all the old remnants of programs, and installed another one that I had been told specifically would work with my FTP. It's simple and easy, but doesn't have stealth mode, or some of the stronger measures that Zone ALarm has. My choice would be to go back to ZA if I could get it to work. But at this point, I'm just happy to be able to keep my website updated using my ftp.

Thanks so much for your suggestions, and I may try all of them if I reinstall ZA. But right now, I'm too gun-shy to play around with it now that I've got it working. LOL I do however, think I would like to put zone alarm on the other household computers; since they don't use FTP programs and are only used for simple tasks such as web surfing, bill paying, shopping and word processing, etc . . . I know ZA would not affect any of their programs.

Thanks again. I will definitely keep this page bookmarked for future reference.

Hi

Those things to do are simple and often done with many firewalls and networking, but they are done manually.

Open the command prompt and type in "ipconfig /all" (without the quotation marks and leave a space between the ipconfig and the /all). Hit the Enter key of the keyboard.
    Then look for and write down the two "DNS Servers" addresses and the "Default Gateway" address and or the DHCP server. Then type in "exit" and hit the Enter key.
    Please note that the IP (assigned by the router) of that computer should be listed.

Next open the ZA and open the "Zones" in the "Firewall". Use the Add button and enter, individually, the DNS server addresses, the DHCP address and/or the router address (Default Gateway address in actual fact). The address 127.0.0.1 is in fact the PC internal address and is used by various software and the Windows to talk with itself. Set all of these as Trusted. So the router address, the two DNS servers ( maybe only one address as well) and the loopback address should all be there and as "Trusted".

Usually the hub has no address, but that is not always true. Did you mean router and a hub or router used as a hub?

You could try the "ipconfig /all" in all your home PCs on the home LAN to see if there is any differencs of the DHCP, gatetway and the DNS server(s) addresses.

Look for the Generic Host Process (svchost.exe) in the Program list of the Program Control. If it is not there, use the Add and look for it in the WINDOWS\system32. make sure it has three green bars and access for the Trusted and Internet Zones plus the server rights for the Trusted Zone. It could be tried with the server rights for the Internet Zone when the work with your web site is tried.

Also give server rights for the Trusted Zone and Internet Zone for the browser if the FTP is done via the browser. Unassign those rights after doing the work, because that is safer and easier on the firewall of the ZA.

Even if you do noy do this for the website accessing PC, you should do all of the preceding for the PCs that will use the ZA (either free or paid ZA versions, since they both work the same).

The ZAPro does offer better firewalling capability. The ports that need to be opened can be specified, instead of relying on the "give server rights for the software".

Take care.

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

phyllismc Guest

Thanks so much, Oldsod.

I like step by step instructions. Wish more people posted that way.

Thanks again.

You are very welcome

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information