Thread: Webshots videos do not play with ZASS 6.5

Hybrid View

villagefox Guest

Default Webshots videos do not play with ZASS 6.5

Webshots recently launched video (I think using Adobe Flash). However, videos do not play using Zone Alarm Security Suite ... but will play on my other computer that uses the free version. Thus, I suspect it is some setting in the Suite. The ZA icon in the systray shows that I'm receiving packets, but the video doesn't play. I get no error messages or log entries to help me diagnose it on my own. Webshots' FAQs only talk about uploading videos, not playing them. Adobe's FAQs don't mention Webshots (probably because the launch is so recent ... 17 Nov 2006).
    You can see several video examples on their blog (blog.webshots.com) if you need to test this capability.
    Thanks in advance,Roger (villagefox)
    WinXP Media Center SP2Zone Alarm Security Suite 6.5.737.000

Operating System:Windows XP Pro x64
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:6.5

billc Guest

Default Re: Webshots videos do not play with ZASS 6.5

It is likely your Mobile Code control in your Main Privacy setting causing the problem. But if I were you rather than turning off my Main Mobile Code, I'd customize the site. Try this. Go to your ZASS >Privacy > Site List, click on the 'add' button, then enter blog.webshots.com now click 'ok'. Now locate the site you just entered on the Site List, right click on it and select 'options'. Next go through all three tabs to uncheck everything and click 'apply' as you go through each tab. Now clean your browser cache and try the site again.

villagefox Guest

Thanks Bill for the fast response. I followed the steps you suggested (but entered just webshots.com as the site since videos could be on several subdomains like travel.webshots.com, outdoors.webshots.com,
    and so on). Even with every option turned off, and after cleaning the browser cache, I still am unable to view the videos. I can view them only if I select "Shutdown ZoneAlarm Security Suite" from the systray ... and that's a bit of a drastic step. :robotsad:
    If you have any other suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

billc Guest

You should be able to see those videos if you followed the steps I outlined. Try this. Go to your ZASS Privacy > Main panel and turn off all your main Privacy blocking. Now clean your browser cache and see if you can view the videos with ZASS running. Let us know.

villagefox Guest

Well, I followed
    your most recent
    steps and now I can view the videos (though sometimes I can only
    view
    them once before having to go in and clean out my cookies, including the small flash player). So thank you for your help. I really appreciate it.
    My only question is: Since I've effectively shut down all the privacy in ZASS, should I be concerned? I mean, most of the videos on Webshots aren't that great ... so I only want to view one "occasionally." Should I leave the Main panel Privacy settings at their default settings and turn them off just whenever I want to view a particular video?

billc Guest

In my opinion, cookies and ads are very benign although some users find them annoying. I don't. I also clean all my cookies and browser cache on a regular bases. In fact, cookies or ads are sometimes needed for sites to work properly. So I leave my cookie and ad blocking off all the time.

However, for most users I would suggest you leave your Mobile Code control on and then turn it off only when you visit a site like Webshots that won't work with it on. Mobile Code control will block nasty active script and "drive-by" unwanted downloads. If you really want to download something, you'll need to turn it off. If you use Firefox as your default browser the need for Mobil Code control is reduced but not eleminated.

Thread Information