Thread: Remote access? - Paranoid? Can someone help?

beame Guest

Default Remote access? - Paranoid? Can someone help?

I am not that IT smart so please be patient with me. I am possibly being v paranoid about something which is perfectly ordinary / safe or at least entirely unrelated to my concerns.

Anyway I keep getting alerts with Zonealarm Pro that tell me that someone/thing is attempting to access - their source IP is always 192.168.0.3. Isn't that reserved for internal networks?? I only have one wireless laptop a printer and a router.
    I get these alerts many times a day. Sometimes there are 5/6 attempts at a go trying a different port each time -usually starting with 139. Also Zonealarm is blocking outgoing attempts by my laptop every 10 minutes whenever I am online.
    The reason for my
    concerns is that I would not be surprised
    if someone who is now very angry with me downloaded stealth remote viewing software on my Pc before he left - unfortunately I can't
    wipe my disk etc - as I need to keep other stuff that's on it for legal reasons.
    Can anyway tell me if the ZA alerts indicate this and what I can do to tell for sure that will not cost me a fortune.

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:6.5

billc Guest

Default Re: Remote access? - Paranoid? Can someone help?

Worry not, that is likely the IP assigned to your computer. Do this. Go to Run type in command , hit 'ok', and type ipconfig /all then press enter. In the returned data list will be a line DNS and DHCP Servers with the IP address(s) listed out to the side. Is your IP 192.168.0.3?

beame Guest

Thanks so much for the reply. Did that and the short answer appears to be "no".What I got was -
    IP Addresss............192.168.0.2Subnet Mask ..........255.255.255.0Default Gateway.....192.168.0.2DHCP Server..........192.168.0.2DNS Servers...........192.168.0.2
    Each time the incoming access is denied to source IP
    My ZA log shows -
    65 intrusions have been blocked since install53 of those were high rated. - thats in less than a fortnight.
    Also in the firewall logs shows 100's of outgoing "packets" from my source
    IP (192.168.0.2) to the destination IP 192.168.0.2.

Can't help but still wonder..anything else that might put my mind at rest?.
    Thanks again Bill

Message Edited by Beame on 11-27-200609:48 PM

billc Guest

Ah. I think I'm reading something now I missed before. The IP 192.168.0.3 is an incoming block, not an outgoing block. As you correctly stated, it is reserved for internal networks. So this could be your printer that has this address. Are the packets being block UDP and not TCP?

Have you logged onto your router to see what you might discover there about the IP? Chances are you'll be able to identify what device has that IP assigned. There is another possibility of course. Depending on where you live it could be a computer in the near area around your home. Do you have any close neighbors? I've know of people to use other's internet connection via a wireless router in an apartment complex.

Thread Information