Thread: Printer Sharing

Hybrid View

donal Guest

Default Printer Sharing

I just set up a home network and printer sharing using XP setup tools. I am having trouble printing on a Canon printer attached to a desktop computer, from my laptop. I am able to see the printer when choosing File/Print. But when I try to print, I receive an error. I tried to add the desktop computer's IP address as a trusted zone. I did this by going to the desktop computer's command line and typing IPCONFIG. I added this IP address to the Zone Alarm firewall on the Laptop computer. I still received an error when attempting to print. When I closed Zone Alarm, the page printed fine. The deskop computer uses the Microsoft firewall. Anyone have any ideas on what I should do to be able to print? Thanks.

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)
    Software Version:6.5

ad_hock Guest

Default Re: Printer Sharing

First add your LAN to trusted zone.It should be something like 192.168.x.x/255.255.255.0.As a complement to be on the safe side better than adding the ip add the host (name you gave to the computers when setting up the network).In ZA tab firewall zones,click add and choose host/site.Enter a brief description and add the host (as explained)and ensure the zone is setted to trusted.Also give full access to trusted and internet and server rights but only in trusted zone to spoolsv.exe.This should also be the right settings for GHPWin32 (svchost.exe).
    Best regards

donal Guest

Thanks for the information that enabled me to connect to my printer that is
    attached to another computer on the home network. It turned out that adding the LAN was sufficient. When I tested the connecting by trusting the IP address and the CPU name, with out the LAN setting, I was not able to connect.
    At the end of your message, you stated: "Also give full access to trusted and Internet and server rights but only in trusted zone to spoolsv.exe. This should also be the right settings for GHPWin32 (svchost.exe)."
    I'm not sure how to do this within the Firewall/Zones
    tab. Can you give me further information.
    Thanks again.

billc Guest

You need to do this in your Zone Alarm > Program Control . Programs List...noit the Firewall panel. Just left click next to the program under the appropriate columns and then select the green check mark.

donal Guest

Bill, Thank you for introducting me to Program Control. I am new to the workings of firewalls and this information helps me in underestanding how they work at the program level.
    Don

Thread Information