Thread: zone alarm keeps cutting my internet connection

drswift Guest

Default zone alarm keeps cutting my internet connection

hi this is my first time here. i have a feeling that my problem could be a common one so if you know of any messages that already exist on the forum that could help me, feel free to just point me in the right direction...
    anyway, on my pc with xp home sp2, I have recently installed zone alarm free, and have also recently joined aapt broadband (using adsl router, ethernet connection). The problem seems to be that zone alarm now and then boots me off the net. the logs of these errors say the program is scvhost.exe, outgoing, destination ip 10.1.1.1.53, destination dns mygateway1.ar7. The source ip for these logs start with 10.1.1.2 and finishes with different 4 digit combinations.
    listed in firewall zones, i have something beginning with 10.1.1.2 and ending with more numbers. this one is in the 'internet' zone.I also have a loopback adapter listed with ip address 127.0.0.1 in the trusted zone.
    do i simply just need to a dd a new ip address to this list?
    with my internet zone security on med instead of high the problem appears cease.
    incase this is related to this problem, my avg scan picked up downloader.small which it could not fix, and spybot picked up LSA which it could not fix.
    thanks for your help!

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)
    Software Version:6.5

billc Guest

Default Re: zone alarm keeps cutting my internet connection

You need to change the IP entry from the Internet Zone to the Trusted zone. Just go to your Zones panel, click on the entry, then click 'edit', and change to Trusted in the drop-down menu. Then you should be able to move your Internet zone security slider back to 'High'. What is likely happening is that ZA is blocking the UDP packet sent by your DHCP server which basically keeps you online. Also make sure in your Program Control > Programs List you have granted Generic Host Process 'sever' rights in the Trusted zone but not the Internet zone.

drswift Guest

hi thanks for that. so im not putting my computer at more of a risk by changing the value from internet to trusted? i don't understand it all completely, but i just thought it must have defaulted to internet for a reason??
    also, is that thing that reads 'mygateway1.ar7' a normal destination dns to find in a log? it's not related to a virus or anything is it?
    thanks again

billc Guest

I understand you think this seems strange but all is well and as it should be. You will not increase your computers risk by changing the zone from Internet to Trusted. The IP 10.1.1.1 is reserved for a Private Network which in this case is your DSL modem/router. I believe the router uses mygateway1.ar7 as a DNS destination. This is not a virus or anything harmful. This behavior is normal for a modem that does NAT (Network Address Translator). This graphic might help you understand what's going on.

Thread Information