Thread: Initial config, ipconfig, and echo ping

taherte Guest

Default Initial config, ipconfig, and echo ping

I'm so confused .............
    1. When I installed ZA Pro it detected one network and asked me if I wanted to add it to the internet zone or the trusted zone. This is a home PC, used only by myself, not on a network, with
    a
    DSL connection. Should I have chosen internet zone or trusted zone? If I have chosen the wrong one, how do I change it?
    2. I've read numerous times about using ipconfig /all and putting the IP addresses in the trusted zone. However, when I use ipconfig, it doesn't pause so I can see it.
    3. When I use the internet lock for a long period of time, I cannot access my email or the internet and have to shutdown ZA and restart it. I read a thread somewhere that suggested changing a setting, echo ping I think it was. Can anyone point me to that thread or those instructions? I can't find them again.
    Thanks for any and all help.

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:6.5

ad_hock Guest

Default Re: Initial config, ipconfig, and echo ping

If you want to share resources among the computers in your LAN the easiest way is to leave the LAN in trusted zone as it's a private LAN (something like 192.168.x.x/255.255.255.0 which doesn't connect directly the external internet).If you have a standalone computer and don't want or need to share resources (folders,files printer than you may put it in internet zone).Whatever your situation is you may choose the zone by selecting the network entry in tab firewall zones and at the bottom click edit.In the next window you may choose the zone.
    Now the problem you describe about problems with your connection (I suggest you avoid the use of the internet lock that frequently causes that you loose the ip)points out that it would be better to add the ip's of DHCP and DNS servers to the trusted zone.I see you have problems accessing the command line by hitting start-run-cmd-Ok and then typing in the command line ipconfig /all to find the ip's of DHCP and DNS servers. Do it in another way.Hit start,all programs and accessories and then look down and click the command line.If you still have problems,right click over the local network icon in the system tray and choose state.In the new window choose page support and then click details and you'll see the ip's of DHCP and DNS servers.To add them go to tab firewall zones,click add and choose ip address.Enter a brief description, the ip's you found and ensure the zone is setted to trusted.You need to do this one by one.
    Best regards

Thread Information