Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can't access internet anymore with Zonealarm Pro enabled

dridge Guest

Default Re: Can't access internet anymore with Zonealarm Pro enabled

sorry for the delay getting back to you.
    Needed to work on this on a non-family night.
    Uninstalled/Reinstalled everything (how do i put my license key back in?).
    Checked the Program Control area and the following came up with green marks across the board, except mail: Dashboard module (yahoo); Com surrogate; Yahoo Common Exe Mod; Tmproxy.exe; and Windows Explorer.
    Of those, I went back under the column Server: Trusted/Internet and put question marks in all but Tmproxy.exe and Windows explorer.
    When I tried to put question marks under Windows Explorer, Zone alarm labs stuff came up asking if I was sure--so I'll ask the expert whether I should be sure or not.
    Otherwise, the only programs that have a green check mark in Server/trusted are: Applications layer Gateway Service; Generic Host; Internet Explorer; LSA Shell and Services and Controller App.
    Let me know,
    Dave

critterjoe Guest

Default Re: Can't access internet anymore with Zonealarm Pro enabled

<blockquote><hr>dridge wrote:
    sorry for the delay getting back to you. Needed to work on this on a non-family night.Uninstalled/Reinstalled everything (how do i put my license key back in?).Checked the Program Control area and the following came up with green marks across the board, except mail: Dashboard module (yahoo); Com surrogate; Yahoo Common Exe Mod; Tmproxy.exe; and Windows Explorer. Of those, I went back under the column Server: Trusted/Internet and put question marks in all but Tmproxy.exe and Windows explorer. When I tried to put question marks under Windows Explorer, Zone alarm labs stuff came up asking if I was sure--so I'll ask the expert whether I should be sure or not. Otherwise, the only programs that have a green check mark in Server/trusted are: Applications layer Gateway Service; Generic Host; Internet Explorer; LSA Shell and Services and Controller App.Let me know,Dave
    <hr></blockquote>

Hi:
    I'm no &quot;expert&quot; just a satisfied ZA user who has used it for a long time. You're lucky I saw this. Usually people don't look back at old posts after a few days. If this happens again where you have a long absence, you need to start a new thread; that will get more people to see it, which equals more ideas and suggestions.

I don't know what these programs are: yahoo dashboard module; com surrogate; yahoo common exe mod. TMproxy is part of your Trend Micro software I presume, but I don't know what it does. What program is &quot;com surrogate&quot; a part of, or what is it's actual filename?

For most people nothing will need trusted server rights except &quot;Generic Host (svchost)&quot;. (However, I don't know about tmproxy since I don't know what it's function is and how it works). You may want to start a thread and ask how tmproxy should be configured and maybe a Trend Micro user will respond.

For most people, nothing at all will need &quot;internet server&quot; rights and this entire column would be either ? or X. I leave mine at ? so I can be alerted if something tries to act as a server. &quot;Send mail&quot; is only necessary for your email program in most cases. Don't grant it to other programs in case some trojan were to hijack it and send mail out via that program.

As for these: Applications Layer Gateway (alg.exe), Windows Explorer, Internet Explorer, LSA Shell, Services and Controller App, none should need any server access, either trusted or internet. Again, for most people only &quot;Generic Host&quot; needs any server access, and it only needs &quot;trusted.&quot; Usually everything else in both columns (trusted server and internet server) can be ? or X. You can always try them with lower rights (? instead of a checkmark) and see if they work; ZA should give you alerts then telling you what they are trying to do. . Of these 5 programs, IE is probably the only one that needs any internet access at all. TMproxy *may* need internet ACCESS depending on how it works and what it does; I'm just not familiar with it, or &quot;com surrogate&quot;.

ZA always pops up a warning about changing settings for system files like Windows Explorer. But you will be granting them less privileges in most cases, which means ZA will alert you if they try to do something, so you will actually learn more about them. For instance, I don't want Explorer to be getting Internet access all the time when I try to do a file search on my computer or some local stuff. In fact, I have no need for Explorer to ever go onto the Internet. So my settings for Win Explorer are: ? for &quot;trusted access&quot;, X for &quot;internet access&quot;, X for &quot;trusted server&quot;, X for &quot;internet server&quot;, and X for &quot;send mail&quot;. For the first column (Trust) I have 2 green bars. You can try either 2 or 3 bars; 3 bars will give you lower alerts and gives Win Explorer more freedom, but I like 2 bars so I can have a little idea about what is going on. Most people usually leave the other windows systems files with 3 bars or however ZA configured them automatically.

If it turns out that you configure something that doesn't work, you can always put it back manually or do a database reset to start your program list over without doing a reinstall (this resets all program permissions and security settings).

As for your license key, when you uninstalled and reinstalled, it should have asked you during the opening registration wizard about inserting the license key. One of the options , if I recall correctly (it's been a while), is &quot;I already have a license key and would like to insert it now.&quot; If it didn't ask you, look here and see if it allows you to insert it: Go to ZA Control Panel&gt;Overview&gt;Product Info tab&gt;Licensing Information. If there's no way to do it there, start a new thread about problem inserting your license key, and folks who know more about that will see it. Good luck.

Message Edited by Critterjoe on 12-12-200609:04 PM

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:6.1

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information