Thread: Printer problem

rhomie Guest

Default Printer problem

I am new to this, so please forgive me if I bable.
    I have a HP color laser jet 3600 attached to my pc via a USB cable. It seems that every time I print my dsl modem reboots the broadband link.
    I am at my wits end.
    I am not sure if this is due to my zonealarm pro settings
    or if its due to the recent mcafee updates.
    If anyone has any insight, I would be extremely gratefull.
    Thom.

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:6.5

critterjoe Guest

Default Re: Printer problem

<blockquote><hr>rhomie wrote:
    I am new to this, so please forgive me if I bable. I have a HP color laser jet 3600 attached to my pc via a USB cable. It seems that every time I print my dsl modem reboots the broadband link. I am at my wits end. I am not sure if this is due to my zonealarm pro settings or if its due to the recent mcafee updates. If anyone has any insight, I would be extremely gratefull.Thom.

Operating System:
    Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:

<hr></blockquote>

How does your DSL modem connect to your PC? Does it go from modem directly to your PC, or is there a router in between? And how does the internet physically connect to your PC-- wired or wireless? And through integrated ethernet port, an ethernet card, a USB ethernet adapter?
    It doesn't sound like a problem caused by antivirus updates. When this happens, are you trying to print something from a browser page that's open to the Internet, or are you trying to print from a program running on your drive such as Word; or does it occur with any kind of printing? And is the printing successful; i.e., even though it reboots your broadband link, does the printing still occur and turn out correctly, or does the printing fail?

rhomie Guest

Hey CritterJoe,
    The dsl modem is connected to my pc via an ethernet card/cable. The actual dsl connection is from the wall via a telephone line. As for the actual printing, it doesn't matter where I print from (ie notepad, html, word, etc.) the internet goes down. However, the page does print; it's just annoying to have to wait for the internet to come back up. This has only started happening in the past month or so.
    During that time, the only things that have changed are: new zonelabs update, mcafee update and microsoft updates.

critterjoe Guest

<blockquote><hr>rhomie wrote:
    Hey CritterJoe,The dsl modem is connected to my pc via an ethernet card/cable. The actual dsl connection is from the wall via a telephone line. As for the actual printing, it doesn't matter where I print from (ie notepad, html, word, etc.) the internet goes down. However, the page does print; it's just annoying to have to wait for the internet to come back up. This has only started happening in the past month or so. During that time, the only things that have changed are: new zonelabs update, mcafee update and microsoft updates.
    <hr></blockquote>

So it looks like when you send the print job, the instruction and data does make it to your printer OK, but it also looks like some instruction is also being sent simultaneously to your network that disrupts your network connection.

One thing to consider is that there *could* be an IRQ conflict between the network card and the USB printer. You can look in Device Manger and see if there are any yellow question marks or red X's signifying device problems (normally there should be neither). START&gt;Control Panel&gt;System&gt;Hardware&gt;Device Manager. Since you say everything was working OK before a month ago, this is less likely. If someone *were* getting an IRQ conflict, it can sometimes be solved by moving the network card to a different PCI slot. You can look at the specs for your motherboard and see which, if any, of the PCI slots might &quot;share&quot; an IRQ with your USB ports, and if the network card was in such a shared PCI slot, you could consider moving it to a different one. Again, since it worked before, this is less likely.

I'm just thinking out loud here, but I can think of 4 options to try first. The first 3 are the easiest to check first. The third option is a little more involved, but not hard to do, but requires configuring your settings again.

The first thing I'd do is try a different USB port, using one in the back of the PC if possible. That's quick and simple. If that doesn't work, then the next thing I'd try if it were me is to look in the ZA Control Panel at a program called &quot;Spooler Subsystem AP&quot; (spoolsv.exe) and see what permissions it has. For me, I have ? all the way across, in all 6 columns. That way if that program ever tries to access the Internet or perform other unusual activity, I will get an alert. So, look there first, and if you have anything enabled on that line, you might want to try the all ?'s for spoolsv.exe.

If that didn't do anything, then I'd remove &quot;Spooler..&quot; from the ZA Program List, by highlighting it and pressing &quot;Delete&quot; or alternatively by Right-clicking it and selecting &quot;Remove.&quot; ZA will place it back into the Program List the next time that program runs, but it will have the baseline ZA settings for it. This is sort of like a &quot;reset&quot; for just that one program. Exactly HOW ZA configures it will likely depend on whether you use SmartDefense Advisor and have it set to Auto or Manual. As I recall, I didn't like ZA's initial choice, so that's why I put mine at all ?'s.

If that doesn't solve the problem, and since you said this only started recently after various updates on your PC, I'd probably resort to a &quot;database reset.&quot; Unfortunately, such a reset will return all ZA program and security settings to a &quot;virgin&quot; state. You will lose all customized security and program settings. The first time you connect after doing that, ZA will identity your network as a &quot;new network&quot; and ask if you want it trusted or internet zone. i.e., it will sort of be like starting over right after a new installation, without having to do a full re-installation. You will also have to manually add your &quot;loopback adapter&quot; (127.0.0.1) back onto the Firewall settings in the Trusted Zone. Then you will have to reconfigure any customized permissions you had previously set up for the Program List, Privacy, and some other options, sort of like a &quot;new install.&quot;

If you choose to do the database reset, you reboot into SAFE mode. Find a folder called c:\windows\internet logs. Delete files called &quot;iamdb.rdb&quot; and &quot;backup.rdb&quot;. Empty the Recycle Bin. Reboot back into Normal Mode. ZA will rebuild those two files and start them over at ground zero again. ZA will then discover your &quot;new network&quot;, etc. Choose the zone you want it in (ZA will offer a default or you can choose) and name it. Add the loopback adapter IP back into the Trusted Zone of your Firewall, and configure any program permissions like you want them. I also run through all the ZA panel's pages to be sure the settings are like I had them previously. ZA defaults the global Firewall settings (the sliders) to HIGH for internet zone, and MED for trusted zone, which is normal for most people.

Post back your results. Another question for you: is your &quot;DSL modem&quot; a basic modem or is it combined with a &quot;gateway&quot; device?

Message Edited by Critterjoe on 12-07-200606:22 PM

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:6.1

Thread Information