Thread: Script errors, no pics, and 3rd party cookies

armandi Guest

Default Script errors, no pics, and 3rd party cookies

Hi, everyone!
    I've had Zone Alarm Pro installed on my computer for about a week now, and I'm reaching new levels of frustration.
    I also have AVG anti-virus, which I installed about the same time when I discovered that my original software was outdated by 2yrs!
    X-(
    Shame on me.
    Anyway -- I'm fairly new at this, and I'm probably missing a very simple, glaring solution to this problem, but I'm throwing it out to you anyway.
    Logging on to my Internet sites has become such a chore that I dread checking any of them.
    Every time I log on, I'll go to say,
    the ZoneAlarm home page.
    All the smileys, graphics, avatars, etc. are gone.
    If I want to click on something, I have to know where the "button" is and position my pointer on that spot.
    This is really annoying when someone wants to share photos, since I can't see any of them.
    I've also discovered that most of the sites, this one included, will give me script errors.
    More often than not, my sites don't even recognize me as a user, and keep asking me to register!
    Sometimes I can fix some of these problems by enabling my 3rd party cookies (which is what I had to do to log on to this forum), but I'd really prefer not to have to do that.
    Then again, sometimes that doesn't solve anything!
    Sometimes by the end of the day, pictures and avatars appear.
    Other times they don't.
    Please help before I'm completely bald from pulling out my hair!
    I'm female -- that'd be really unattractive!
    Chris

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:

Default Re: Script errors, no pics, and 3rd party cookies

It looks like a corrupt ZoneAlarm database but before lets be sure about it...If you shutdown ZA Pro do you still have problems?
    If yes, than re-enable ZA--> go to the Privacy Tab --> and set everything off (cokkies, ad blocking, mobile code)
    Do you still have problems?
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

armandi Guest

I shut down ZA like you suggested, Fax.
    Of course everything worked just fine then, because there was nothing interfering.
    I re-enabled it and set everything off, and didn't seem to have any problems then, either.
    In fact, it was amazing how quickly I was able to move from site to site and page to page withing a site.
    How safe is it to leave everything in the "off" position, tho?
    BTW -- thanks for responding!
    Chris

Well, now the third step...The problem that you experience is only for one or few sites or for the majority of the sites you visit?FaxP.S. Well, if you surf safely you should have any problemwith everything off butreally not ideal...but lets try to fix it...

armandi Guest

Well, let me muck things up a bit.
    The problem is for all my sites.
    Under the privacy tab on ZA, I tried to customize certain sites that I felt were trustworthy and allow them a little bit more liberty.
    At first I thought the problem was due to the third-party cookies not being allowed, but this proved not to be the case.
    Only when taking your suggestion and turning everything off on the main page did I get any relief at all.
    Okay, time to go do a virus scan, since I've been cavorting on the Web without protection!
    lol
    Chris

Hi!most of the time these problems can be resolved if you play a bit with "ad blocking" options for the site...So let's try to have back things as they were... please go back to Privacy and re-unable "Cookie Control" to Medium, "Ad Blocking" to High and "Mobile Code Control" to OFF.Test again the sites... if you have problems than got to Privacy Tab--> Site List Tab --> Look for the site --> select it, right click of the mouse button and select 'options', under options go to "ad blocking" Tab untick everything. Than try again the site... does it work better? It should... otherwise also untick everything under the "cookies" tab If you want to maximise your security while browsing you could also activate the "Mobile code control" in the main "privacy" section. But please be aware that you should browse the sites you visit, and if they do not work, customise them one-by-one under the "Site list" tab via the "option" menu (as above) but, this time, you will need to untick the checkboxes under the "mobilecode' tab.Hope this helps...Cheers,Fax

Message Edited by fax on 12-14-2006 08:28 AM

armandi Guest

Thanks, Fax!
    I'll give that a try tonight.
    I set my controls back on and have been fighting with this thing all afternoon, so I need a break!
    But, I wanted to respond before I signed off.
    I'll let you know what comes of it.
    I didn't think to right-click on each site.
    I was just sticking to the viewable "X's" and check marks.
    My concern is that I'll accidentally delete the wrong thing.
    But, at least the back up disc came in the mail, so I can always re-install if need be!
    Chris

armandi Guest

Thanks, Fax!
    I think that's going to do the trick.
    It'll take some tweaking, but I'm seeing improvement.
    I appreciate all the help!
    Chris

critterjoe Guest

<blockquote><hr>armandi wrote:
    Thanks, Fax! I'll give that a try tonight. I set my controls back on and have been fighting with this thing all afternoon, so I need a break! But, I wanted to respond before I signed off. I'll let you know what comes of it. I didn't think to right-click on each site. I was just sticking to the viewable &quot;X's&quot; and check marks. My concern is that I'll accidentally delete the wrong thing. But, at least the back up disc came in the mail, so I can always re-install if need be!Chris
    <hr></blockquote>

If you change various settings in ZA as far as program permissions, privacy settings, etc., and want to revert you shouldn't have to do a complete reinstall. If you ever want to go back to a &quot;virgin&quot; position like just after a new install you can do a &quot;database reset&quot; which will revert your ZA security settings to baseline as well as your program permissions. So you have to configure everything over, but it's much easier and faster than a complete uninstall/re-install of the whole ZA program (in which case you'd have to configure everything over anyway). Briefly it involves rebooting your PC into safe mode, deleting a couple ZA database files. Then ZA regenerates new versions of the two files when you reboot again. There are numerous posts (at least every couple days) about how to do the database reset should you ever need or want to start over with your customized settings. Just search on &quot;database reset&quot; in the forum search box or ask.

The other option is to &quot;save&quot; your current settings as a backup by going to ZA Control Pain under Overview&gt;Preferences and choose &quot;Backup&quot; settings. Then you can change things around and if you end up worse off, then you can go back to that screen and click the &quot;Restore&quot; settings button. Once you get everything exactly like you like it, you can do a new &quot;Backup&quot; for future use if needed. Good luck.

Message Edited by Critterjoe on 12-15-200607:31 PM

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:6.1

You're welcome!Thanks for reporting back...Fax

Thread Information