Thread: Internet Start-up Issues

nancynancy Guest

Default Internet Start-up Issues

Have ZA Free 6.5.737.000.
    Most configurations and programs run fine except when booting up computer.
    At start up, I have to wait at least 15 minutes before I can access the internet (have cable connection) and then only after I "repair" my internet connection through the settings on the start menu (running XP SP2).
    If I repair the internet connection before 15 minutes, the internet is not accessible.
    This only works after about 15 minutes.
    This happens at all restarts, too...there is a 15 minute wait time whenever the computer is booted up before being able to access the internet and then only after "repairing" the internet connection.
    This also happens after about 12 hours of my computer being left on.
    I leave it on most of the day and when I try to access the internet after the computer has been on for 12 hours or more, I need to again "repair" the internet connection...I assume to renew my IP address.
    This is not a start-up issue with my computer since before installing ZA, start-ups were very quick and I never had to repair the connection.
    It was as it is supposed to be with a cable connection...internet access immediately.
    This is not system components that are starting slowly which is what the ZA help files say...again, this did not happen before ZA.
    Any ideas on what is not set up correctly?
    What needs to be changed/configured to get the internet to work without repairing the connection and without waiting at least 15 minutes?
    Thanks for any help....

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)
    Software Version:6.5

Default Re: Internet Start-up Issues

Hi

First, check to se that the DHCP, DNS and gateway servers addesses listed as Trusted in the Zone of the Firewall.

Something like this>

1. Go to Run type in command , hit 'ok', and type ipconfig /all then press enter. In the returned data list will be a line DNS and DHCP Servers with the IP address(s) listed out to the side.
    2. In ZA on your machine on the Firewall>Zones tab click Add and then select IP Address. Make sure the Zone is set to Trusted.
    3. Click OK and then Apply and see if that works to fix it.
    4. The loopback or localhost (127.0.0.1) must be listed as Trusted.
    5. The Generic Host Process (svchost.exe) must have server rights for the Trusted Zone.
    Plus it must have both Trusted and Internet Access.

Plus a little graphic detail at>

http://www.donhoover.net/dnsdhcp.html

Second, make sure the Generic Host Process (svchost.exe) listed in the Program list with three green bars and access for the Trusted and Internet Zones and has server rights for the Trusted Zone.

Third make sure that there are no components listed any server rights for the Internet Zone of the Program list of the Program Control.

Fourth if the email checker of the antivirus is used, then disable the email security of the Zone Alarm. Also disable the antivirus monitor of the Zone Alarm. The antiviruses usually do a good job of updating and self monitoring, plus the Windows Security Center monitors the antivirus as well.

Fifth, make sure any that any type of Internet Messenger or Google Desktop does not start with the Windows Start Up. Also do you have an antivirus or antispy or similar software installed with some web filtering or any ad blocking or any spy site blocking or cookie filtering?

Sixth, make sure the Windows firewall is completely off and there should be no other software firewall installed on the PC. Also was the previous software firewall just uninstalled or were the remmants cleaned using a proper cleanup utility?

Seventh the other security applications could be the problem.Is the zlclient.exe and the vsmon.exe listed as trusted processes in the antivirus and antispy applications. Make sure there are no security scanners scanning at the Windows startup.

Try these suggestions and lets see what happens after the next reboot of the PC.

If a Trojan is active on the PC, this could also be the reason for the internet problems. So try a few scans for trojans/malware>

download and install and update this freeware>

http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/free/

and pick the free version from here>

http://www.superantispyware.com/

or do the online scans with the Internet Explorer from these sites>

http://www.ewido.net/en/onlinescan/

http://www.bitdefender.com/scan8/ie.html

Oldsod

Message Edited by Oldsod on 12-14-2006 06:00 AM
    Best regards.
    oldsod

nancynancy Guest

Thanks for the help...unfortunately none of the suggestions work or change anything...and most of my configurations were already set up the way you suggested.X-(
    "First, check to se that the DHCP, DNS and gateway servers addresses listed as Trusted in the Zone of the Firewall."
    Yes, all trusted and have server access.
    "4. The loopback or localhost (127.0.0.1) must be listed as Trusted."
    Yup...this was automatically set up during the install, but I double-checked anyway and it is fine.
    "5. The Generic Host Process (svchost.exe) must have server rights for the Trusted Zone.
    Plus it must have both Trusted and Internet Access."
    Already set up that way and was ok.
    "Third make sure that there are no components listed any server rights for the Internet Zone of the Program list of the Program Control."
    I didn't really understand what was meant, but the
    programs that have server/internet permission is IE, the generic host process, Outlook Express, Spybot, and Zone Labs.
    Everything else is set to ask or prompt for permission, or blocked.
    Programs run ok with no problems at all.
    "Fourth if the email checker of the antivirus is used, then disable the email security of the Zone Alarm. Also disable the antivirus monitor of the Zone Alarm. The antiviruses usually do a good job of updating and self monitoring, plus the Windows Security Center monitors the antivirus as well."
    I have no e-mail checker thing and the "basic Mail Safe" for ZA is enabled...but it really doesn't do anything.
    I tried turning this off and it made no difference.
    Did the same with the AV of Zone Alarm...tried both off and on and it made no difference.
    I have disabled
    all MS security center 'features' and they have been disabled from before the install of ZA.

"Fifth, make sure any that any type of Internet Messenger or Google Desktop does not start with the Windows Start Up. Also do you have an antivirus or antispy or similar software installed with some web filtering or any ad blocking or any spy site blocking or cookie filtering?"
    I have no IM at all and nothing is installed.
    Windows messaging is removed from the computer.
    I do have the Google toolbar, but I tried uninstalling that and then trying ZA and it didn't make a difference.
    I did reinstall it and it doesn't seem to change anything or
    make any difference.
    I have AVG as my AV with updates scheduled for a certain time and not at start up.
    I have Spyware Blaster which does prevent access to blacklisted sites, but ZA is not listed obviously.
    And Spybot also has an "immunization" feature.
    So what affect
    might these programs have on ZA and how can I get everything to work together?
    "Sixth, make sure the Windows firewall is completely off and there should be no other software firewall installed on the PC. Also was the previous software firewall just uninstalled or were the remmants cleaned using a proper cleanup utility?"
    Nope...now
    Windows firewall and it is
    cannot start
    because of admin. settings
    in the services.
    Nothing in the security center is allowed to run.
    I have no other firewall besides ZA and did not have a firewall before ZA so there would be nothing to uninstall or remove.
    "Seventh the other security applications could be the problem.Is the zlclient.exe and the vsmon.exe listed as trusted processes in the antivirus and antispy applications. Make sure there are no security scanners scanning at the Windows startup."
    Yes, zlclient and vsmon are trusted and have server rights with ZA and are whitelisted with both Spybot.
    AVG does not have the option to whitelist, but I do have ZA set to be ignored by AVG.
    No AVG scans have had an issue with ZA at all.
    All security programs are set to execute manually by command...nothing is automatic or starts at startup.
    No, I have no trojans, viruses, rootkits, etc. and scan daily.

The problem definitely has to do with ZA since if I uninstall ZA, I can access the internet immediately on startup.
    I've also tried using the option of NOT loading ZA at startup and that doesn't make a difference.
    I really appreciate all your suggestions, but none of them make any difference unfortunately.
    Obviously SOMETHING isn't configured right though.
    We've just got to figure out what.
    Anything else you can think of to try?
    And am I the only one with this issue or is this a common problem?
    Thanks again....

By your reply i would say things look correct. But I do have some thoughts and suggestions to add.

The only components that need any server rights are the security (usually just one or two antivirus components) and the Generic Host Process (svchost.exe). This is only for the Trusted Zone and not for the Internet Zone. If anything does need server rights, always try it with the Trusted Zone first before trying it with the Internet Zone. Much safer this way than leaving an open port to the Internet.

There is the possibility that some Windows service and the ZA are inconflict or the Windows service is the problem. Running an unneccesary Sevice could be the root of the problem. Please check section One and Eight of>

http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...ssage.id=60318

Also the SpyBot maybe the one to give some trouble in regards to process controll with the Tea Timer. Try it with the Tea Timer disabled for the real time monitoring and startup with Windows Startup and see what happens.

" The problem definitely has to do with ZA since if I uninstall ZA, I can access the internet immediately on startup. I've also tried using the option of NOT loading ZA at startup and that doesn't make a difference."

Maybe but if an application is turned off, then it is off and cannot do any thing to interfer with the startup.

There is the possibility that the ZA database may have become corrupted. To remove this corrupt database and start a new database, just do these steps>

Boot your computer into the Safe Mode

Navigate to the c:\windows\internet logs folder

Delete the backup.rdb and iamdb.rdb files in the folder

Clean the disk using the Windows disk clean utility or just empty the Recycle Bin

Reboot into the normal mode

The database has been removed and the ZA will now begin to create a new database.
    It will appear as when it was first installed and there was no database yet created.

Hope this works for you.

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information