Thread: Connectivity lost on ZAPro 6.5 upgrade, but DNS & DHCP work

howleri Guest

Default Connectivity lost on ZAPro 6.5 upgrade, but DNS & DHCP work

I upgraded to 6.5.737.000, but after having done that, I've lost all connectivity, except for DNS and DHCP. I did the full uninstall as per the forum instructions and re-installed 6.1.744.001, but applications still can't get connectivity. Help?

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:6.5

billc Guest

Default Re: Connectivity lost on ZAPro 6.5 upgrade, but DNS & DHCP work

Do you have the IP's for your DNS & DHCP servers in the Trusted zone? Have you granted Generic Host Process For Win32 Services 'server' rights to the Trusted zone?

You should be able to upgrade. Try again only select a 'clean' install when your asked. The best way is to download & save the upgrade Zone Alarm file, go into the installed Zone Alarm Overview > Preferences tab, uncheck the 'Load Zone Alarm at Startup', reboot, then run the installation.

howleri Guest

Thanks for the speedy reply; DNS & DHCP are in the trusted zone, and they do work. Seems just that for applications to get any TCP/UDP traffic out does not work. I've tried a full uninstall, with the clean, new install on top. Still not working.

billc Guest

Your database might have gotten corrupt in the upgrade. Try a reset. Reset the database this way; you will lose your customizations and will need to reconfigure Zone Alarm.

1. Boot your computer into the Safe Mode. {Instructions if needed}
    2. Navigate to the c:\windows\internet logs folder.
    3. Delete the backup.rdb and iamdb.rdb files in the folder.
    4.Reboot into the normal mode.

howleri Guest

Thanks for the tip; this actually turned out to be a problem with my DSL box. After trying what you suggested, I still couldn't connect. Didn't suspect my DSL box, because I still had normal connectivity from my laptop. (Usually, the box nixes both connections, if it's acting up.)

After running Ethereal for a little while on the affected computer, I could see outbound TCP attempts, while IGMP & DNS queries were bouncing normally between the box, so I figured I'd give resetting it a shot. Sure enough, it helped. Odd that this happened right at the time of the 6.5 upgrade...

Sorry for the time wasted trying to debug a software problem in the wrong product.

billc Guest

No problem. I'm glad you got it worked out.

Thread Information