Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cannot connect to internet - DNS error?

olena Guest

Default Cannot connect to internet - DNS error?

I wonder if someone can help. For the last few months I have been using a wireless connection (router)
    between my laptop and my normal PC. I have had no problem until now. Between one day and the next I have been unable to connect to the internet on either machine. I have wireless connection, adsl connection (usb connection as well) but the internet connection does not work.
    If I open IE, at the bottom left, it says dnserror. I have checked everything, replaced the router with a new one, reloaded the connection program but still nothing. I may add I recently down loaded ZA Security suite on the laptop and yesterday on the pc. I have used ZA pro for years and have never had any problem. Anyone out there got any suggestions.. Thanks.

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:Other ZoneAlarm Product
    Software Version:6.5

billc Guest

Default Re: Cannot connect to internet - DNS error?

It may not be a Zone Alarm caused problem. If you right click on the Zone Alarm icon in your system tray, select 'Shutdown Zone Alarm', can you the access the internet? Have you rebooted both your router and your modem? Do you have your router's IP and submask in the Trusted zone of your Zone Alarm >Firewall > Zones panel? It should look something like this 192.168.x.x/255.255.255.0

olena Guest

Hi Bill,
    Thanks for your quick reply. I shut down ZA on both computers and was still unable to connect. The IP
    s are in the trusted zone and are as you described. I have rebooted the router various times and have gone through the process of reinstalling from the cd supplied. I
    m not sure what you mean by rebooting the modem. Does the modem continue working in conjunction with the router. I thought it was only with dial up. I
    m not that brilliant when it comes to computers but I have always been able to solve problems myself but this one has really got me. There is something else
    I don
    t understand. I am able to connect using adsl with a usb connection.
    This is not going through the router. I did think that this might not be a ZA problem but was unsure. It is most probibly very simple. Any suggestions and thanks for your help.

Try a TCP/IP reset. Use this freeware from majorgeeks.com>

http://www.majorgeeks.com/XP_TCPIP_Repair_d4521.html

This could be the problem, but not neccessarily.

To reboot the modem, just turn the PC and the router and the modem off. Unplug all power cords. Then power up the modem. Wait till all LEDS are showing- this could take a few minutes. Then power up the router and wait it is completed. Then turn on the PC.

The router reset is an almost invisible red button. Push it in as far as possible and then power off everything. Then follow the steps in the previous paragraph.

Oldsod

Message Edited by Oldsod on 12-15-2006 06:04 PM
    Best regards.
    oldsod

olena Guest

Hi,
    Thank you for your tips. I have downloaded the TCP repair, reset the router, basically done what you have said but still nothing. I was a bit reluctant to reset the winsock as it talks about LSP
    s that may have to be reinstalled. I
    m not sure what LSP
    s are. When I try to open IE I get this line in the lefthand bottom corner (ieframe.dll/dnserror.htm#) I have tried a diagnostic test and I get 2 numbers that come up (12007) and (0x2afc). I have found out that 12007 is "server name cannot be resolved". Thats about as far as I have got. I have also recently upgraded to IE 7. Im not sure if there could be a problem there. Any help would be appreciated, Thanks.

billc Guest

Two things I'd like you to try. First, I assume your router is connected to your modem, correct? What I mean by rebooting your modem is to unplug it and while your at it, unplug your router as well. Wait about 30 seconds then plug your modem back in first, let it get connected then plug your router back in. When I say unplug, I mean from the electrical outlet, not your computer.

If that did not work, open Zone Alarm on one of the machines, go to your Program Control > Programs List, right click on your IE entry, then select 'remove'. Close all browsers, then open IE again and now see if you can connect.

olena Guest

Hi Bill,
    I will try to explain my setup.
    I have one adsl modem which I connect to my pc via a usb connection and telephone line. This works without any problem. This is how I started with just my pc. A few months ago I bought a laptop and decided to buy a router so I could use both via wireless.The router is a modem as well which I can connect via usb and a telephone line or via wireless.When I connect the router the adsl modem is disconnected and vica versa. In fact I totally disconnected the adsl modem because the router was working fine.I will try what you have said and see what happens. Thanks once again.

olena Guest

Hi Bill,
    I have tried both your suggestions but no luck. Its 2am here so I will carry on tomorrow. If you have any more ideas I would appreciate your help. Thanks.

critterjoe Guest

<blockquote><hr>Olena wrote:
    Hi Bill,I have tried both your suggestions but no luck. Its 2am here so I will carry on tomorrow. If you have any more ideas I would appreciate your help. Thanks.
    <hr></blockquote>

Have you tried this yet? With everything hooked up, and from an administrative account (can't do it from a user account), right click on the network icon in your systray down in the bottom right corner of your screen. Choose &quot;repair.&quot; Win XP will flush several DNS and other settings, and frequently that will restore connectivity. Good luck.

Message Edited by Critterjoe on 12-15-200607:06 PM

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:6.1

olena Guest

Hi All,
    I
    m still not able to connect to the internet, I
    ve tried all your suggestions but to no avail. If anyone can help I would appreciate it, Thanks

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information