Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cannot connect to internet - DNS error?

Default Re: Cannot connect to internet - DNS error?

So if I am correct, then there are two methods of connecting to the internet and two sets of DNS and DHCP servers?

In this case both sets of DNS and DHCP and possiblely the gateway server addresses must be listed in the Zones of the Firewall and listed as Trusted.

Using a wide Trusted LAN range such as 102.168.0.0 to 192.168.255.255 will probably help in this setting arrangement.

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

olena Guest

Hi Oldsod,
    You are correct but only one IP addrress appears at a time depending on which connection I
    m using. For instance at the moment I am using you could say a direct connection, modem and telephone line connected to the computer via a usb cable. My settings in Firewall>Zones
    are as follows:
    Name

IP address

Entry type

Zoneconnection adsl

85.94.178.XXX

Network

TrustedLoopback adapter

IP address

Trusted
    If I try and
    connect via wireless
    using a router/modem, telephone line ( and I can connect
    via usb cable as well from the router) the settings are as follows:
    Name

IP address

Entry type

ZoneNetwork connection 1

192.168.1.1/255...
    Network

TrustedLoopback adapter

IP address

Trusted
    You will most probibly understand this more than me. Are these settings correct as you see them.
    Thanks for your help,

Even though only one will appear at a time- when that one is being used, just place both setups in as Trusted.

Add the 85.94.178.XXX as Trusted and add the 192.168.1.1/255 as Trusted. Or even just use the LAN as 192.168.0.0 to 192.168.255.255- this will cover every possible range.

Using the comprehensive range will not reduce your Internet Security as this is a private address.

Perhaps by doing the ipconfig /all in both connection arrangements and adding the DNS, DHCP and the Gateway addresses as Trusted from both will solve the problem.

There is no risk to security by doing this and hopefully this allows for using both.

To further things

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/305553

and add the DNS servers but not the DHCP servers (Windows has no option of ranges for the DHCP).

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

olena Guest

Hi Oldsod,
    Thanks for the information. I am away for a few days so I will try the setup when I get back. I will keep in touch.
    Thanks for your help.

rodrigt Guest

Bill wrote: Do you have your router's IP and submask in the Trusted zone of your Zone Alarm >Firewall > Zones panel? It should look something like this 192.168.x.x/255.255.255.0
    Bill, As I proceed to do implement your guidance I would appreciate a mini-tutorial on this; as a novice it seems counter intuitive to put the router IP and submask in the trusted zone (for fear of "letting everyone in&quot.
    Tom
    PS- I've just implemented your recommendation to add my ISP's DNS & DHCP servers into ZA's trusted zone and it seems to be working - Thanks!

blofeld Guest

Sounds like you need to go back to first principles, have a look at this:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314067/en-us
    There are some useful bits and pieces in this article particularly with regard to pinging external sites initially with their IP address and then their URL to discover whether your DNS is working properly.
    I would shutdown ZA initially until you sort the connectivity issues to discount any influence that it might have on proceedings, then when you get internet connectivity reinstate it and then you can worry about configuring it.

blofeld Guest

192.168.x.x/255.255.255.0

is a private address not a public address. No internet address can access privates addresses. So any internet user or device attempting to contact say the PC or a LAN printer just cannot do so. It is the router that has the internet address and not the PC.

So the PC "talks" to the router and the router "talks" to the internet. When the internet talks to the router, the router has an internet address. When the router talks to the PC it has a 192.168.x.x address.

The internet in turn talks to the router- unwanted "calls" or unwanted connections are dropped. The only time the internet gets allowed "talk" to the PC is when the PC initiated the "call" and never when the internet called the PC. This is why it is safe to place the router address in the Trusted Zone.

The PC when is connecting to the internet, it calls the DNS servers of your provider and "travels" the internet starting off from their servers. This is why it is safe to place the DNS servers address in the Trusted Zone.

Oldsod

Message Edited by Oldsod on 12-20-2006 07:29 PM
    Best regards.
    oldsod

rodrigt Guest

Thank you! I'm sure this will also be very informative to others on this forum.Tom

rondel Guest

Let me make sure I understand this.
    Are you saying that your old modem works...but when you connect the new modem you lose Internet connectivity?
    This might be a case where your ISP is not allowing you to connect with your new router/modem.
    Many ISP's
    restrict
    connections to their networks with only "known" modems.
    Just like with a network interface card (NIC), the modem has a globally unique MAC address.
    Check and see if your new router/modem has a utility for you to copy your old modem's MAC address (sometimes called MAC Cloning).
    If not, contact your ISP, and let them know that you have purchased your own modem.
    They will need to know the MAC address of the modem, which you can find by connecting the router/modem and your computer, open a DOS box, and then pinging the router (generally 192.168.x.1) - once you have pinged the router, use the command:
    ARP -a
    This will give you a display of all IP and MAC addresses in the cache - the Physical Address is what you are looking for, and will look like this:00-11-25-cd-98-ef.
    You will likely need to give your ISP your new router/modem's MAC address - which would be the one to the right of the IP address of the modem/router listed in the display.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information