Thread: Can only access certain websites

connor Guest

Default Can only access certain websites

Hello, firstly I will describe the situation that I have a problem with ... We have two PC's at home which are connected in a network via an Ethernet Cable, ICS is enabled and both computers use the latest edition of Zone Alarm Security Suite. PC "A" uses Tiscali 8MB Broadband to connect to the internet, and provides PC "B" with internet also with ICS.

Up until recently PC "A" has been supplying PC "B" with internet access after a few set up problems. But the other day PC "B" could not access certain websites, here are a few ....

www.bebo.com
    www.myspace.com
    Windows Updates
    www.microsoft.com
    www.hotmail.com

And also if I applied any filters in BF1942 it would hang on the server screen and not show any. Also MSN Live messenger would never connect. Interestingly the MSN Connection Wizard suggested it might be a port problem which I believe it maybe. It could however access websites such as www.google.com and a few Forums that I frequent, but for the most part it wouldn't connect to many websites

This problem was quite annoying and I couldn't seem to resolve it so I finally decided to reinstall XP on PC "B" and start from scratch. Only to discover that I had the exact same problem as before once I got PC "B" back up and running again ...

My question is why do certain websites & programs work and others do not?

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:6.5

lipmanson Guest

Default Re: Can only access certain websites

When you find the answer to this, let me know. I've installed ZA SS on a brand new computer about 1 month ago. Everything worked fine at first, then gradually I find that I cannot load more and more sites. No error messages, but a never-ending "Loading..." message. It happens with Firefox 2, IE7, etc. Have read every support article around and nothing fixes the problem. I'm not sure it's ZA. Maybe it is, but right now I'm replacing my router as I've friends who fixed their access problems, by tossing their routers and replacing them with a newer model.

As for Windows Live Messenger, forget about loggging on with ZA running. No one can. Unload ZA SS (or whatever you have), log into Live Messenger, reload ZA. This should do it.

connor Guest

Well its good to see that I'm not the only one with this problem MSN Live used to work eventually after retrying about 5 times and running the troubleshooter, but I have the exact same symptoms that you describe.

Likewise if you ever find out the cure for this let me know. I've been recommended to buy a router with an inbuilt ADSL Modem because it might solve the problem, would this solve it? How long you been looking for a solution to this problem?

It may just be worth me getting another Firewall if I ever establish that its Zone Alarm in the first place.

connor Guest

Well its good to see that I'm not the only one with this problem MSN Live used to work eventually after retrying about 5 times and running the troubleshooter, but I have the exact same symptoms that you describe.

Likewise if you ever find out the cure for this let me know. I've been recommended to buy a router with an inbuilt ADSL Modem because it might solve the problem, would this solve it? How long you been looking for a solution to this problem?

It may just be worth me getting another Firewall if I ever establish that its Zone Alarm in the first place.

lipmanson Guest

Conner:

I just spent this past weekend testing this out thoroughly -- as best as I could w/o the new router. The only variable that seemed to make a difference in my ability to access all web sites was the router. Without it I can load every page; with it I can not get into most of my forums, download sites, and just some main pages. I really believe that the chips in the "not recent" routers cannot handle the new secure browsers nor the secure sites online. I would bet Linksys and the other router mfgrs know this but did not announce the fact because they would be blitzed with a slew of requests for free replacements. Instead, they updated their chips in their recently mfgr'd routers. They probably think the problem will go away by itself as people eventually change their routers.

My router was purchased last March. I don't know when it was mfgr'd. I do know that Linksys is no longer providing any firmware updates for it, and I'm guessing it's because they cannot fix the access problem by updating the firmware. They recomended another model, a newer one, that is the one some of my friends bought for this same problem and which was the fix.

By the way, when I cabled my modem directly to the computer I set ZA SS to it's highest Internet and Trusted security levels, and had absolutely no problem with access because I had these sites listed as "OK" addresses. I also tested out an older browser I have, Maxthon, which pre-dates all the new security frenzy. I was able to get onto more sites than with IE7 or Firefox, so I think this problem is primarily a function of the new web site security measures butting heads with the router security.

As for the Live Messenger problem with its newer version, I think that's a separate problem and has nothing to do with the router. Whatever MS did to increase Security butts heads with ZA. I've heard that it's fixed in the beta version of ZA that is now out there, but I, for one, do not intend to try it until a final release is available. I merely get rid of ZA for the Messenger log-in and then re-load. Inconvenient but it works.

connor Guest

Sorry but I don't fully understand your reply, do you mean your using a router and having the same problem as me. Because at the moment I'm not using an router, just an Ethernet Cable with ICS enabled. Seems from what I read your having the same problem as me but with a router, infact to solve this very problem I have been recommened to buy an actual router. So as you can see I'm very confused as to your reply

lipmanson Guest

Connor:

Yes, my problem appears to be related to the router, and others whom I know have had the same problem with this kind of setup.

I didn't know you weren't using a router, but what, exactly, is ICS, as in ICS enabled? I've heard the term but cannot place it.

My setup is a home office. I use my router to ethernet cable my main computer, a backup computer, and a laptop in a network. The laptop and backup computer are seldom powered up, but are connected to the router ready for use.

I'm surprised that a router was recommended for you. Maybe your setup arrangement is different, but I know that if anyone calls Comcast tech support because of slow loading, the first thing they tell you to do to isolate the problem is to cable the modem directly into the computer and see how things run. Comcast and Cox Cable both claim that most customer complaints stem from their routers. I always discounted this advice, but have had to reconsider.

connor Guest

ICS is internet Connection Service for windows, basically you have two PC's but only one can connect to the internet with an external Modem. Therefore you buy an Ethernet cable and connect the two PC's, rather than sharing a whole network like files ect, you just share internet between them

I'm thinking of changing the firewalls now anyway because its just stupid not being able to access the internet because of this ... And no-one seems to have a simple solution, so might move to **bleep** ... Heard good things about them!

connor Guest

I've sorted this problem out now it seems, uninstalled the ICS providers Zone Alarm Internet Security Suite, then reinstalled Zone Alarm Pro and it seemed to work ... so might be an issue with Security Suite not sure. Not running a firewall on this PC at the moment though because the ICS gateway has one and I don't want to be without internet again :P

Thread Information