Thread: Must Allow Mobile Code to view most Web pages

bmwdmf Guest

Default Must Allow Mobile Code to view most Web pages

Hi,I am very frustrated and find that in order to view most web pages, I must set the mobile code to "allow".
    I find this is leaving my system wide open to attack because when I run adaware software tools, there are many more tracking items listed.
    I feel that purchasing the complete ZoneAlarm package has made my computer less secure than when I used McAffee anti-spam and virus with the free version of ZoneAlarm.
    Is this simply an "operator" issue or is it the configuration settings required for ZoneAlarm?

IE Version 6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2gdr.050301-151915

ZoneAlarm Security Suite version 6.5.737.000

TruVector security engine version 6.5.737.000

Driver version 6.5.737.000

Anti-virus Vet engine version 30.4.1.000

Anti-spyware engine version 5.0.83.0

AntiSpam version 4.8.2.7565

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:6.5

billc Guest

Default Re: Must Allow Mobile Code to view most Web pages

You say Mobile Code needs to be 'allowed' for most web pages to be viewed. While there are some requiring mobile code, my thought is most do not. It could be a problem with your database. Could you post the URL of a couple of the sites you're talking about?

bmwdmf Guest

Some good examples include
    http://www.youtube.com/
    and http://www.msnbc.com
    I can see the web pages but cannot view videos.
    msnbc will not let me view the video no matter what I allow - get a "blockedReferrer is undefined" error for line 473
    http://www.thedashmovie.com/
    - just shows a blank screen
    http://app1.sba.gov/
    - this site now says "directory listing denied"
    The virtual directory does not allow contents to be listed.
    Same comment for i.euniverse.com
    Some sites that I had to allow in order to view - I can now see after turning mobile code off.
    Does this help?

bmwdmf Guest

Just got an e-mail from a friend telling me to go to:
    http://www.dontshootyoureyeout.com/
    When I go to the web page all I see is a dark brown paneling , no picture, no text.
    I have no idea what is supposed to be on the web page.
    When this happens, I turn on the mobile code, hit F5 and can see whatever it is when the screen is refreshed.

zaswing Guest

It's not clear whether the question refers to allowing mobile code overall, or on per site basis.Normally you don't need mobile code, except to download things - but that's done on the site list, so the vulnerability for ALL sites is just not there. My Opinion :8}

billc Guest

Those sites you listed have active script on them and thus likely will need Mobile Code control turned off. Anytime you see a video, listen top streaming audio, or have interaction with a site, Mobile Code usually does need to be off. But "most" pages you can view with it on.

I'd suggest you 'customize' the sites you frequent that requires Mobile Code control to be off, cookies , etc. With those sites go to your Zone Alarm Privacy > Site List, click on the 'add' button, enter the URL of the sit,. then click 'ok'. Now locate the site you just entered on the Site List, right click on it and select 'options'. Next go through all three tabs to uncheck everything and click 'apply' as you go through each tab. Now clean your browser cache and try the site again.

bmwdmf Guest

Thanks - I have been doing just as you said - it just seems most pages require me to allow mobile code and I thought it was excessive.
    Why can't I still view MSN videos even if I turn everything to "allow"?
    Example:
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032608/
    When I click to view the video - another page opens with ther errorLine 473Char:
    25085Error:
    "blocked referrer is undefinedCode: 0
    Thanks Again!

billc Guest

Two things I want to mention. First, there is a difference between putting green checks next to an entry on your Site List verses clicking on the entry, selecting 'options', then go through to uncheck everything while clicking 'apply' as you go through. Putting green checks across the board does not unblock everything.

Second, there are some sites that will not work if any of your Main Privacy blocking is on. Customizing the site then unblocking everything still will not allow some sites to work. Even if you 'allow' everything, the JavaScript Zone Alarm uses to manage Main Privacy blocking will interfere with the scripting on some sites. If you have a problem after unblocking everything, then turn off all your Main Privacy.

One final point. If you changed your customization of a site, you should also clean your browser cache before you try the site again. If you customize without cleaning your browser cache, you may get a 'cached' page when you go back to the site.

bmwdmf Guest

I have always simply gone to the site list and click "allow" in order to view a particular webpage.
    I do not normally right
    click and go to "options" because I thought they were the same.

Now, that raises the question, even if I do the options individually, how do I know which to check and which to uncheck to make a web page work.
    I know I sound really ignorant - but I guess I really am.
    I'm so glad you are being so patient with me.
    Happy New Year!

zgreg Guest

Hi everyone,
    i had the same "blockedreferrer is undefined" error on msnbc.com and by adding this site to my site list(in the privacy menu) and unchecking everything on all three of its options tab i am now able to view the videos.
    Many thanks for Bill the Guru.
    Cheers and Happy New Year!
    Greg

Thread Information