Thread: Cant keep an internet connection

cumby Guest

Default Cant keep an internet connection

I recently upgraded ZA to version 6.1.744.001.
    Now I cant seem to keep an internet connection.
    I can walk away from my computer for 30 min to an hour and when I come back I get a IE error that says the page cant be accessed.
    If I run a test on my connection through my ISP, it seems to restart my access to the internet and works fine until the next time I leave the computer.
    Every time I sit down to it, I have to run the test before I can get online?

My ISP says my connections and modem seem to be wprking good but it also did this in safe mode.
    I am also running some new software: AVG antivirus and antispyware, spyware blaster, a-squared free, and microsoft defender.
    I changed/added all of this software prior to this problems starting.
    Any ideas why I keep loosing my connection?

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)
    Software Version:6.1

critterjoe Guest

Default Re: Cant keep an internet connection

<blockquote><hr>Cumby wrote:
    I recently upgraded ZA to version 6.1.744.001. Now I cant seem to keep an internet connection. I can walk away from my computer for 30 min to an hour and when I come back I get a IE error that says the page cant be accessed. If I run a test on my connection through my ISP, it seems to restart my access to the internet and works fine until the next time I leave the computer. Every time I sit down to it, I have to run the test before I can get online? My ISP says my connections and modem seem to be wprking good but it also did this in safe mode. I am also running some new software: AVG antivirus and antispyware, spyware blaster, a-squared free, and microsoft defender. I changed/added all of this software prior to this problems starting. Any ideas why I keep loosing my connection?

Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name: ZoneAlarm (Free)
    Software Version: 6.1

<hr></blockquote>

Tes. This is a common occurrence. The solution for most people is to be sure that the IP addresses of their DNS and DHCP servers are manually entered into the Trusted Zone of the firewall settings. Are you using a router or a &quot;gateway&quot; modem that does NAT? If so, the DNS and DHCP IP numbers will likely start with something like 192.168.x.x, or 10.x.x.x, or 172.x.x.x (varies by router brands). Also be sure that you have the correct settings for &quot;Generic Host&quot; (svchost.exe) discussed below.

You can retrieve the IP numbers for your DNS and DHCP 2 ways. The first way is, while you have an active internet connection, go to Start&gt;Run and in the command line box type &quot;cmd /k ipconfig /all&quot; without the quotes. You will see a black screen that shows the IP number assigned to your PC by the router, as well one for &quot;gateway&quot;, DNS, DHCP, etc. It may even be that several of them are the same number. And there may be 1 or 2 DNS numbers. Write the DNS and DHCP IP numbers down. Then go insert the DNS and DHCP numbers into your ZA firewall and give them Trusted status. To do this go to the ZA Control Panel, click Firewall, then the Zones tab. In the bottom right corner is an &quot;ADD&quot; button. Click Add and select &quot;IP Address&quot;, then insert the IP address for each as Trusted, and give it a name like &quot;DNS address&quot; or whatever you choose. Then enter the other one the same way. If your DNS and DHCP numbers happen to be the same, you only need to enter one of them. For the sake of completeness while you're there, also check to be sure your loopback adapter (127.0.0.1) is listed in the Trusted Zone of your firewall settings. ZA should put it there by default in an original installation.

Another way to get the IP numbers is to right-click on the network icon in the systray in the bottom right corner of your screen while you have an active connection, choose &quot;Status&quot;, the Support tab, then &quot;Details.&quot; And you will see the IP numbers for DNS and DHCP.

Also be sure your &quot;Generic Host&quot; (svchost.exe) settings in the Program Control area are configured correctly. Go to Program Control and choose the &quot;Programs&quot; tab. Look at the settings for &quot;Generic Host.&quot; Most people will want (in this order) 3 green bars in the first column for &quot;Trust level&quot;, green checkmark for trusted access, green checkmark for internet access, green checkmark for trusted server, ? or X for internet server and send mail. In other words, do not grant internet server rights. Most people will not have any program that requires &quot;internet server&quot; unless they need it for some highly specialized video or gaming function for a particular program. The average user should not have anything allowed in that column at all. And for many people Generic Host will be the only program that even needs &quot;trusted server.&quot;

Post back with your results or any further questions. Good luck.

Message Edited by Critterjoe on 12-25-200609:25 PM

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:6.1

cumby Guest

I added my ISPs DNS/DHCP and it appears to be working fine now.
    Thanks

skyguy Guest

Thanks for this tip.
    I've been having the same problem.
    I always have to reboot my computer after a period of inactivity.
    I'll try your recommended solution.

Thread Information