Thread: Computer & web browser slowdown with Zonealarm Pro and not able to open e-mails.

sanguine Guest

Default Computer & web browser slowdown with Zonealarm Pro and not able to open e-mails.

Hi, I am typing this whole message again as I lost the long message with all nice details about my problems as soon as I clicked on the preview post link. Anyways, I am typing everything again.
    I have Trend Micro Internet Security 2007 and Zonealarm Pro 6.5.737.0 running in the background. I have AdAware SE Pro, Spywarebalster and AVG anti-spyware installed and none of them is running in real-time protection mode. I am facing the follwing problems with Zonealarm Pro and Trend Micro, both running:
    1. The web browsers, IE 7 and Firefox 1.5, both open very slowly and load pages at a snail's speed. I have three tick marks for both of them in the program control section in Zonealarm Pro, still the problem persists. I have read mostly everything that is there in this forum and tried it before posting.
    2. I can login my e-mail accounts on different websites but I can't open the e-mails (links). As soon as I click on an e-mail, the web browsers (IE 7 and firefox) try to open the e-mail but just in a few seconds, it shows an error like "connection timed out" and logs me out of my e-mail account. In firefox I had an error asking me to enable cookies and I know I have cookies enabled in Firefox, so I checked off the "block third-party cookies" option for Firefox in the Privacy section of Zonealarm Pro. I made sure Firefox and IE both had htree tick marks in the program control section. I also added the e-mail account websites to the trusted section and restarted the system. But the problem persists.
    3. My system's overall performance seems to be suffering greatly with Zonealarm Pro and Trend Micro both running. Applications open after a few seconds instead of just 1 or 2. I don't have Trend Micro's firewall installed. My OS is Windows XP Pro SP2. I keep getting a warning from Zonealarm for something called "Explorador de Windows" which is related to a file "sysact.exe" and I allowed it but I don't know what it is and whether it should be allowed or not.
    Any help for getting rid of these problems will be greatly appreciated. I know the experts are busy people but I have already spent a few days solving these problems myself by reading posts on this forum and several others over the internet, but without any success. Thanks.

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:6.5

sanguine Guest

Default Re: Computer & web browser slowdown with Zonealarm Pro and not able to open e-mails.

I forgot to mention in my earlier post that as soon as I turned off Zonealarm Pro and let only Trend Micro run in realt-time, everything was back to normal and faster.

Default Re: Computer & web browser slowdown with Zonealarm Pro and not able to open e-mails.

Does the TrendMicro have a firewall enabledor a web scanner or netwok protectopn or worm guard or a intrusion protection of some sort included?
    Sounds like running two seperate securities does not work. The best advice is pick one firewalling software and stick with it instead of using two at the same time.

Oldsod

Message Edited by Oldsod on 12-27-2006 06:09 AM
    Best regards.
    oldsod

sanguine Guest

Thanks for your prompt response. Today, for some reason, it seems to work fine with Trend Micro AND Zonealarm both running, but is it because I have shut down the "PcScnSrv.exe" from the task manager?

To answer your question if I have any firewall enabled in Trend Micro; no, I don't have the firewall of Trend Micro installed/enabled. I have installed Trend Micro with all the default features except the firewall. I want to keep running Zonealarm as I don't think there's any other firewall which is equivalent to it. I do have the Trend Micro antivirus and spyware protection eneabled. I have the "suspiciuos software alarm system" on in Trend Micro, which is quite similar to Zonealarm's warning system. In Trend Micro, my "Personal Firewall and Network controls" are all off. My Website filter in Trend Micro is off too. I hope this information will be useful in analysing it further. Once again, thank you.

sanguine Guest

I just noticed that after aloowing the 3rd party cookies and allowing banner ads in the privacy section of Zonealarm, I can open e-mails now. I did allow 3rd party cookies even yesterday but it didn't work then. Maybe it is a combination of the cookies and banner ads which had to be allowed.

Some banners ads do use javascripts. By blocking the banners ads or animated GIFs or flash, perhaps, inadvertly the javascripts for some of site interactions are blocked off. This could be the cause. Third party cookies may have been delayed by the cookies previous stored in the browser's cookie cache. The reboot or the browser's closure may have deleted the old cookies and the newer ones now worked. The javascripts are needed by default for many safe site interactions.

Usually if the changes are made to the Privacy content filtering, just clean the browser's file and it's cookie caches and then close the browser and re-open the browser- that fresh start usually does the trick.

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information