Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One Web Site Blocked

webworker Guest

Default One Web Site Blocked

I'm trying to help a ZoneAlarm user access a web site that I manage and I'm looking for some expert help.

He is using ZASS 6.5.737.00 with the current version of Firefox. His default global privacy settings are set to block everything and when he wants to work with a specific site, he'll create a site-specific privacy profile and modify the settings until they work.

He cannot load our site at all. The browser status shows "transferring data from...", but nothing ever comes up. IE7 exhibits similar behavior. I've downloaded and installed the same version he's running and after simulating his configuration, I'm not seeing the same issue.

Everything works fine with ZASS shut down, so it appears ZASS is causing this behavior. I had him go to the site by IP and the same thing happened, so not a DNS issue. We went to the Privacy entry for the site in question and enabled access for every option (Cookies allowed, mobile code allowed, etc.) and the problem continued.

It seems as though ZASS is ignoring the Privacy settings when we open everything up for the site or it's just blocking the data transfer.

Any ideas or recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks

Chris

Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:6.5

billc Guest

Default Re: One Web Site Blocked

You've done the right things but let's try something. Tell your user to go to his ZASS Privacy > Site List, locate the entry for your site, right click on it, then click to delete it from the list. Now ask him to manually add the site back to his list by clicking on the 'add' button, entering your URL, then clicking 'ok'. Now locate the site you just entered on the Site List, right click on it and select 'options'. Next go through all three tabs to uncheck everything and click 'apply' as you go through each tab. Now clean your browser cache and try the site again. Did that work?

kvadi Guest

This mirrors the situation I am experiencing with a website (forum) that I had no problems accessing before the last major version upgrade to ZoneAlarm. I am now unable to access the site using Opera 9, IE6 or Firefox 2 on two seperate PC's behind ZASS (fully up to date). I have taken the action detailed in the reply above with no success. I have not experienced this problem on any other website to date.

Any further ideas would be gratefully received.

Jim

ps Here are the messages I receive from the respective browsers:

OPERA
    -----

Error!
    Could not connect to remote server

You tried to access the address http://elisabeth-flamingred.be/forum, which is currently unavailable. Please make sure that the Web address (URL) is correctly spelled and punctuated, then try reloading the page.
    Make sure your Internet connection is active and check whether other applications that rely on the same connection are working.
    Check that the setup of any Internet security software is correct and does not interfere with ordinary Web browsing.
    If you are behind a firewall on a Local Area Network and think this may be causing problems, talk to your systems administrator.
    Try pressing the F12 key on your keyboard and disabling proxy servers, unless you know that you are required to use a proxy to connect to the Internet. Reload the page.

IE6
    ---

The page cannot be displayed
    The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please try the following:

Click the Refresh button, or try again later.

If you typed the page address in the Address bar, make sure that it is spelled correctly.

To check your connection settings, click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options. On the Connections tab, click Settings. The settings should match those provided by your local area network (LAN) administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).
    See if your Internet connection settings are being detected. You can set Microsoft Windows to examine your network and automatically discover network connection settings (if your network administrator has enabled this setting).
    Click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options.
    On the Connections tab, click LAN Settings.
    Select Automatically detect settings, and then click OK.
    Some sites require 128-bit connection security. Click the Help menu and then click About Internet Explorer to determine what strength security you have installed.
    If you are trying to reach a secure site, make sure your Security settings can support it. Click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options. On the Advanced tab, scroll to the Security section and check settings for SSL 2.0, SSL 3.0, TLS 1.0, PCT 1.0.
    Click the Back button to try another link.

Cannot find server or DNS Error
    Internet Explorer

Firefox
    -------

The connection has timed out

The server at elisabeth-flamingred.be is taking

too long to respond.

* The site could be temporarily unavailable

or too busy. Try again in a few
    moments.

* If you are unable to load any pages, check

your computer's network
    connection.

* If your computer or network is protected

by a firewall or proxy, make sure
    that Firefox is permitted to access the

Web.

Message Edited by Kvadi on 12-31-200603:10 AM

Operating System:Windows XP Pro

billc Guest

It seems your updates did not go so well. I'd first reset your database and then reboot. Reset the database this way; you will lose your customizations and will need to reconfigure Zone Alarm.

1. Boot your computer into the Safe Mode. {Instructions if needed}
    2. Navigate to the c:\windows\internet logs folder.
    3. Delete the backup.rdb and iamdb.rdb files in the folder.
    4.Reboot into the normal mode.

kvadi Guest

Thank you for the reply (whichever of us you were replying too!).

I followed the instructions to the letter on one PC. No change, still unable to access the site.

p.s. To thread starter, apologies if I appear to have hi-jacked your thread. Perhaps I should have started a new thread but as the problem seemed identical I hoped my situation might help throw some light on things for both of us.

billc Guest

Kvadi ... Try this. Go to your Zone Alarm Privacy > Main panel and turn off all your Main Privacy blocking..cookies, ads, & mobile code. Now clean your browser cache and see if you can get to the site. It could be you're seeing a 'cached' page?

If the site is not adult, could you post the URL?

kvadi Guest

Tried it and still no success. The URL is:

http://elisabeth-flamingred.be/forum

It's not an adult site, it's a PHP forum. I'm assured by friends who also use it that it's up and running without problems.

I'm grateful for your help.

Jim

ps Happy New Year

billc Guest

I'm not sure Zone Alarm is the problem but to double check, right click on the Zone Alarm icon in your system tray, select 'Shutdown Zone Alarm', clean your browser cache once again, and then try the site. If you still can not get there, ten I think Zone Alarm is not the problem. Do you have any other security software that blocks cookies? Did you say you could get there before you installed Zone Alarm?

I can get there so the site is up. Just for kicks, try a proxy server . Any chance you're blocked from the site?

kvadi Guest

Have tried what you suggested and hit problems accessing ANY web site after that. This is what is returned in Opera:

HTML>
    HEAD>

META HTTP-EQUIV="Refresh" CONTENT="0; URL=http://linksys.zonelabs.com/8081file.html">

TITLE>Zone Labs

/HEAD>
    BODY bgColor=#ffffff>

/BODY>
    /HTML>

(read above as html, I've taken out initial angle brackets to prevent post being edited due to invalid tags).

Does this suggest some issue with the router or the way ZA was setup in the past? I used a gateway license in the past and the router is still setup like that, though each of my two ZASS installs now has its own license key. This was quite a recent change (3 months or so ago?) when I upgraded to the full ZASS suite (previously I had used a different AV product).

I don't have any security software other than ZASS running at the moment. I could previously access the site without problems while using ZA. Something changed with ZA to cause this I feel sure, either related to the upgrade from ZA5 to ZA6 or my move to ZASS as I have never had cause to amend anything in the router config since the day I set it up.

Tried the proxy server link you provided without success. Also, I've been assured by the admin for the forum that I have not been blocked and should be able to access the site without problems.

Thanks for your continuing help.

Jim

Message Edited by Kvadi on 01-01-200712:57 PM

Operating System:Windows XP Pro

billc Guest

Forgive me but help me make sure I understand. The ZASS you have installed is on your computer, correct? If so, try a 'clean' uninstall (directions below) and see if you can get access without ZASS being installed. If you can, then install a fresh copy of ZASS. Also, have you tried rebooting your router?

<fieldset>
    <legend>Clean Uninstall</legend>Go into the start menu locate the zonelabs entry and right click on the uninstaller and select properties. Now in the target box you must add a space and then /clean to the end so that it looks something like this "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zauninst.exe" /clean click apply and then OK. Next open ZA and turn off the load on boot option, then reboot and then run the uninstaller.This should get rid of all of ZoneAlarm. Now go to your windows temp folder and delete everything. Find the folder named Internet logs and delete it then empty your recycle bin.</fieldset>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information