Thread: Accessing PDF files

johncertalic Guest

Default Accessing PDF files

I am a new user. I cannot open PDF files from safe tusted sources that I used to open freely before I installed Zone Labs sofware. What am I doing wrong? How can I correct this problem?

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:

billc Guest

Default Re: Accessing PDF files

To load .pdf files you need to turn off Mobile Code control in your ZASS > Privacy > Main panel. Once you do that, clean your browser cache and try again.

johncertalic Guest

Thanks, Bill. When I checked the Mobile Code control it already is set to Off. I cleaned the cache, anyway. But I still cannot open any .pdf files.
    Do you have any other suggestions?
    I am using Internet Explorer 7.0. Is there something I should check here?
    Thanks!John

billc Guest

See if Zone Alarm is the problem. Right click on your Zone Alarm icon in the system tray, select 'Shutdown Zone Alarm ', then try to open the .pdf file. Can you open it now?

johncertalic Guest

Hi Bill. Thanks for your help and reply. I shut down Zone Alarm as you suggested, then tried to open a .pdf file. But I still cannot open it. So I assume Zone Alarm is not the problem. Do you have any other suggestions?

John

billc Guest

You said in your first post that these files could be opened before you installed Zone Alarm. So I'm thinking Zone Alarm may still be the culprit. When you shutdown Zone Alarm then tried to open the file, did you first clean your browser cache? Even with Zone Alarm shutdown, if you have a 'cached' page with the Zone Alarm blocking in it, you'll not be able to open it.

The other suggestion would be to reset your Zone Alarm database to make sure the Privacy feature is recognizing you have Mobile Code control turned off when you try to download. Here's how you do that. Reset the database this way; you will lose your customizations and will need to reconfigure Zone Alarm.

1. Boot your computer into the Safe Mode. {Instructions if needed}
    2. Navigate to the c:\windows\internet logs folder.
    3. Delete the backup.rdb and iamdb.rdb files in the folder.
    4.Reboot into the normal mode.

johncertalic Guest

I realized that at about the same time I installed Zone Alarm I had also downloaded Internet Explorer 7.0. So I spent some time checking into that and found that my .pdf problem was with IE and not Zone Alarm. The site I wanted to access a .pdf file from needed to be listed as a "trusted site" in the Security menu. Once I did that, I was able to open the .pdf file just fine.
    Thanks for all your help, Bill. In the future I will be sure to check the Zone Alarm settings first if this problem comes up again.
    Happy New Year,John

billc Guest

Thanks for letting me know John. Glad it's fixed.

Thread Information