Thread: Lost Access to Thunderbird 1.5.0.9

delevy Guest

Default Lost Access to Thunderbird 1.5.0.9

I am using ZA Pro 6.5.737 and Thunderbird 1.5.0.9 under WinXP Pro(SP2) and through a Linksys Router and CableModem to Road Runner. I had no difficulty accessing E-mails through 25 Dec, but on 28 Dec, after seeing "looking up server . . ." at the bottom of the Tbird window, I was presented with options to connect via dialup and "could not connect to server . . ." messages. When I disable ZA, I have no difficulty, and with ZA on, I have not problems with Firefox or Quicken access to the internet. I tried uninstalling Tbird, disabling and re-enabling ZA, and clearing all instances of it from ZA | Program Control | Programs. That did not help. I tried adding my DHCP and DNS IPs into the Trusted zone in ZA | Firewall | Zones. That didn't help either. (Although not obviously related, I have noticed for several months, that with most re-boots, ZA appears to recognize anew my LAN and ask me to deterine whether it is in the Trusted or Internet zone.) What else can I do?

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:6.5

billc Guest

Default Re: Lost Access to Thunderbird 1.5.0.9

Try adding your mail server's IP to the Trusted zone. Also you say that on reboot Zone Alarm "sees" a new LAN? Is it the same LAN as before a reboot? If so, it could be your Zone Alarm database has gotten corrupt and it doesn't recognize previous settings which also could very easily be the root of your Thunderbird problem as well. If adding your mail server IP doesn't work, then try resetting your Zone Alarm database.

<fieldset>
    <legend>Database Reset</legend>Reset the database this way; you will lose your customizations and will need to reconfigure Zone Alarm.

1. Boot your computer into the Safe Mode. {Instructions if needed}
    2. Navigate to the c:\windows\internet logs folder.
    3. Delete the backup.rdb and iamdb.rdb files in the folder.
    4.Reboot into the normal mode.
    </fieldset>

delevy Guest

Default Re: Lost Access to Thunderbird 1.5.0.9

As it turns out, I uninstalled and reinstalled Zone Alarm, and notification of your message arrived by E-mail -- which is to say that the reinstallation appeared to fix things. Many thanks for your help. Have a wonderful New Year weekend.

Thread Information