Thread: Cannot access external hard drive

gi_dan Guest

Default Cannot access external hard drive

I appreciate any help on this problem even though it may not be ZA-related. I recently purchased a new computer and am running Windows XP. I saved the hard drive from my previous computer and hooked it up to my new one using an Adaptec USB enclosure. Initially I was able to access it. I would power it on and plug it in to a USB port, the drive would be read and it would show up as drive J. I managed to transfer all of my files, so I am in good shape in that regard. Today, I can no longer access it. I also have a Western Digital USB-connected external hard drive that I had been using as a backup with my old system and which I will continue to use with my new one. When I plug the WD into a USB port, I can access the drive (it becomes drive J and shows up as such on the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon in the system tray). Previously, the same thing would happen when I plugged the Adaptec drive (it would show up as drive J). Apparently, I can't have both of them connected at the same time. Today when I pluuged in the Adaptek, I got a new network detected message from Zone Alarm. I think I should have said to allow it into the trusted zone, but I did not. Now, I can't seem to get it to work (again, the Western Digital will work). Can anyone provide some advice as to how I can get it functioning again?
    Thanks.

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:6.5

critterjoe Guest

Default Re: Cannot access external hard drive

<blockquote><hr>GI_Dan wrote:
    I appreciate any help on this problem even though it may not be ZA-related. I recently purchased a new computer and am running Windows XP. I saved the hard drive from my previous computer and hooked it up to my new one using an Adaptec USB enclosure. Initially I was able to access it. I would power it on and plug it in to a USB port, the drive would be read and it would show up as drive J. I managed to transfer all of my files, so I am in good shape in that regard. Today, I can no longer access it. I also have a Western Digital USB-connected external hard drive that I had been using as a backup with my old system and which I will continue to use with my new one. When I plug the WD into a USB port, I can access the drive (it becomes drive J and shows up as such on the &quot;Safely Remove Hardware&quot; icon in the system tray). Previously, the same thing would happen when I plugged the Adaptec drive (it would show up as drive J). Apparently, I can't have both of them connected at the same time. Today when I pluuged in the Adaptek, I got a new network detected message from Zone Alarm. I think I should have said to allow it into the trusted zone, but I did not. Now, I can't seem to get it to work (again, the Western Digital will work). Can anyone provide some advice as to how I can get it functioning again?Thanks.

Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name: ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version: 6.5

<hr></blockquote>

Hi, Dan:
    An obvious thing to check is to try the external drives in different USB ports in case one of the ports is bad for some reason. Use the ones in the back of the PC if you can. If your PC has a front hub, then experiment a bit--plug one ext drive into the back, one into the front.

If that doesn't change anything, this could be a problem with the known issue of ZA version 6.5 changing drive letters. Since your USB drive is called J:, that implies to me that you have manually configured the drive letters at some point. Can you provide a list of what all your drive letters are, what drive letters (partitions) do you have on your C: drive, and what letters are on any ROM drives (CD and/or DVD). When you have both USB drives connected and running and bootup your system, what drive letters do the two USB drives get when they are running simultaneously? You can click on &quot;My Computer&quot; to see all the drive letters of your system.

What is a bit confusing above is how plugging in a USB drive would cause you to get a &quot;new network&quot; notice in ZA. If wireless, could you have picked up a neighbor's network serendipitously? If you're worried that you allowed the network into the &quot;internet zone&quot; by mistake, that happens to be a safer choice than the &quot;trusted zone&quot;. However, if you do want to share files/printing with other computers on your network, then it does preclude that. It depends on what you ultimately want to do with/without other computers. How do you connect to the Internet--DSL/cable through a router or &quot;gateway&quot; device, or directly to a modem? Wireless or wired?

It is possible to get conflicts between USB ports and network adapters in the form of IRQ conflicts, especially if they were to use a shared slot. Are your USB and network adapter integrated into the motherboard or in a PCI slot(s).

Message Edited by Critterjoe on 12-29-200606:12 PM

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:6.1

gi_dan Guest

Default Re: Cannot access external hard drive

Thanks for the timely and thoughtful response. I finally managed to solve the problem and I can now access both external drives. I uninstalled Zone Alarm, then re-installed it. When I powered on the drives and connected them using the USB ports, I got the message that a new network was detected. This time I allowed it into my trusted zone, and it has worked fine since. Thanks again.

Thread Information