Thread: Firefox Hangs when used with Zone Alarm

etherelreed Guest

Default Firefox Hangs when used with Zone Alarm

A major problem during the last week, everytime I used Firefox the browser would suddenly stop loading pages, and the proccess was unable to be ended in Task Manager.
    The only way to fix this so Firefox could work again, was to restart the computer, but whenever I shutdown windows after firefox hangs, it takes upwards of 5 minutes.
    Eventually I tracked the problem down to Zone Alarm.
    For some reason, whenever I have Zone Alarm running, and I'm using Firefox, zone alarm somehow breaks firefox.
    I am currently using Windows Vista SP1, and
    have the latest version of Zone Alarm Free, and have made sure that both firefox, and all microsoft programs have full access rights (4 green checkmarks).
    I have tried removing and re-adding Firefox to the list of programs under program control, but this does not work.
    I do not run any other firewall programs, and have windows firewall disabled.
    I have set Zone Alarm to not automatically load on startup, and instead is on a delayed startup (but still loads before any internet-access programs such as Firefox begin).
    I have heard some people say that its a privacy concern with scripts and cookies, and that they solved the problem by selecting Firefox from Program Control|Programs, and right-clicking to get to a privacy/options screen, however when I right-click I only get the options to Add or Remove.
    I cannot find anywhere in any of the options that brings up privacy options for programs.
    I really enjoy Zone Alarm, and have used it over 3 different computers for many years, but if it comes down to wether I want to be able to use Firefox, or wether I want to use Zone Alarm as my firewall tool, I'll have to choose firefox.
    But I'd really just like both programs to work.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Operating System:Windows Vista Home Premium
    Software Version:7.1 (Vista)
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

halmer Guest

Default Re: Firefox Hangs when used with Zone Alarm

Hi there

If it is version 8.0.020.000 that is giving you the problem I have an identical one. Firefox keeps hanging on me since I installed this version; I cannot stop the process in task manager and my laptop will not close down. I can only close down by holding the power button.

I have reverted to the previous Vista version to see if that helps. Interestingly enough this older version tells me that there is no update available.

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>Halmer wrote:
    Hi there

If it is version 8.0.020.000 that is giving you the problem I have an identical one. Firefox keeps hanging on me since I installed this version; I cannot stop the process in task manager and my laptop will not close down. I can only close down by holding the power button.

I have reverted to the previous Vista version to see if that helps. Interestingly enough this older version tells me that there is no update available.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Interestingly enough the "Check for Update" option has been turned off until a New Release is available..Please Read this Link..http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...ssage.id=81278---------------------------------------
    My Vista Configuration:

----------------------------------------------------------------
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:8.0.052.000 BETA (32-Bit)
    TrueVector version:8.0.052.000
    Driver version:8.0.052.000
    Anti-virus engine version:6.0.2.678
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:959933788
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.202.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200809.4655
    AntiSpam version:5.0.61.9957
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    Second Computer Vista Home Premium SP1 (32-Bit)
    ZoneAlarm Pro version:8.0.015.000
    TrueVector version:8.0.015.000
    Driver version:8.0.015.000
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.202.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200809.4655
    A Vast 4.8 Anti-Virus Home Edition
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

halmer Guest

Just to confirm that dropping back to the previous version of ZA has sorted my problem fingers crossed.

Your Welcome..
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

darke_one Guest

I am having these same issues but when I try to download the last version I have it tells me it's not compatible with Vista. Can someone tell me where to get the latest update before 8.0 for ZAPro that does work with Vista? And hopefully before I lose my connection again...hehe. Thanks so much in advance for any help!!

darke_one Guest

Found the update and loaded it, worked great for about an hour then the web pages stopped loading again. I currently have loaded 7.1.254.0 for Vista, but it is not running so that I can actually access my web pages. I know the Windows update KB951748 is not supposed to affect those on Vista but I went in to look for it anyway and could not find it, so that should not be affecting me. Can someone please help as to what I should do to clean this mess up so that I can access the web and have ZAPro running to protect my computer. If not, I will have to find another firewall.

mirtma Guest

Same problem here. But not only Firefox. Also IE, Chrome... Already reported in other thread and sent ticket to ZA Tech. support.

Thread Information