Thread: Browsers won't connect after unlocking Internet Lock

peg Guest

Default Browsers won't connect after unlocking Internet Lock

If I engage ZAP 6.5 Internet Lock for only a few minutes (? 5 min or so), there's no problem accessing the internet after turning Internet Lock back off.

If Internet Lock is locked for maybe 15 - 30 min or more, neither Firefox 2 or IE 6 can access any pages - just get error msg, like 'server not found' or 'not available'.

Closing / reopening the browsers doesn't make any difference.

Closing & immediately reopening ZA restores internet access - instantly. What gives? I'm on DSL w/ a 2Wire gateway.

Is Zone Alarm putting a Vulcan Sleeper Hold on the gateway, or vice versa?

Thanks.

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:6.5

billc Guest

Default Re: Browsers won't connect after unlocking Internet Lock

What is happening is your DHCP server is being blocked from renewing your IP. Closing and opening your browser will not tell your IP you're there. What might work is for you to grant your browser and 'Services and Control app' "pass-lock" rights. On the other hand I really don't see any additional benefit to engage your lock if you are comfortable with your Program permissions and you are the only one who uses the machine. Your firewall will block any intrusion attempts and no rogue program can gain access without your permission. I think it sound nice to "lock down" your machine but I'm unclear as to any additional safety it yields. Any way, that's just my view.

peg Guest

<blockquote><hr>BillC wrote:
    What is happening is your DHCP server is being blocked from renewing your IP. ...What might work is for you to grant your browser and 'Services and Control app' &quot;pass-lock&quot; rights. ...
    <hr></blockquote>

Thanks Billy,
    What would be the actual name of that &quot;services and control app&quot; in XP home? Would it be this file:
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs, which in Windows Services screen is called DHCP Client. Besides it, I'm not sure which one(s) you're referring to.

Thanks again for service above and beyond the call of duty!

billc Guest

In my Program Control it's called just that "Services and Control app" and is the executable services.exe . Are you running XP? I don't believe it is a svchost.exe application, but I'm not 100% sure....Generic Host Process For Win32 Services is used for so many things depending on your machine. You could give it a go and see if that one makes it work; no harm done in trying.

entelechy Guest

I realize this is response is nearly 2 years later. It is sad that the same problem persists. I bought the ZASS and have been happy with it. However, I am disappointed with the &quot;Stop All Internet Activity&quot; and the &quot;Engage Internet Lock&quot; features. The same problem of not being able to reconnect with the internet after a prolonged lock period persists. It is mentioned that this feature may not be deemed necessary, given ZA's protection. I can assure you that it can be very necessary. Somebody got remote control of my computer despite ZASS, maybe because I had remote control features in Windows permitted. Various windows danced across my screen and it took me a few minutes to get control enough to engage the lock. Then I read about and disabled the remote assistance options, etc. in Windows.

So, now I cannot start my internet again without rebooting after the lock has been in place for a while. The feature is here and has good uses I think, but having to reboot after this problem has been around for 2 years is incredible! Any help out there or is ZA that remiss in getting this taken care of?

Hi!

is your DNS and DHCP set as trusted under ZA firewall zone tab?
    And is the DNS and DHCP corresponding to your DNS/DHCP?

These are usually the most common reasons for your system not been able to connect.
    Last but not least it may also depend on your ISP.

Cheers,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information