Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lose partial connectivity after periods of non-use

longlac Guest

Default Lose partial connectivity after periods of non-use

I've just started using ZA free version 6.5.737, and have noticed that after periods of non-use I lose the ability to access the internet with IE. Firefox, my browser of choice, is not similarly affected. I rarely use IE, per se, but I often use Google Earth, which will not work if an IE connection cannot be established. I have added DHCP and DNS IP addresses to both trusted and internet zones in Firewall>Main>Advanced. IE has the same permissions that Firefox does (two green checks in the Access columns, two blue question marks in the Server columns). When I initially turn on the computer, IE works fine.
    I am running IE6 on a Dell Dimension 5100 with WinXP Home SP2, and have a DSL connection.
    Does anyone know what might be amiss, and is there a way I can fix this glitch without having to reboot each time?
    Thank you!

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

longlac Guest

Default Re: Lose partial connectivity after periods of non-use

I don't know if this info is of any relevance, but when I ran "Network Diagnostics for Windows XP" (after trying, unsuccessfully, to access the internet using IE), I received the following message:
    "Windows cannot connect to the Internet using HTTP, HTTPS, or FTP. This is probably caused by firewall settings on this computer. Check the firewall settings for the HTTP port (80), HTTPS port (443) and FTP port (21)."
    Does this imply that Firefox uses different ports than IE?

critterjoe Guest

<blockquote><hr>longlac wrote:
    I've just started using ZA free version 6.5.737, and have noticed that after periods of non-use I lose the ability to access the internet with IE. Firefox, my browser of choice, is not similarly affected. I rarely use IE, per se, but I often use Google Earth, which will not work if an IE connection cannot be established. I have added DHCP and DNS IP addresses to both trusted and internet zones in Firewall&gt;Main&gt;Advanced. IE has the same permissions that Firefox does (two green checks in the Access columns, two blue question marks in the Server columns). When I initially turn on the computer, IE works fine.
    I am running IE6 on a Dell Dimension 5100 with WinXP Home SP2, and have a DSL connection.
    Does anyone know what might be amiss, and is there a way I can fix this glitch without having to reboot each time?
    Thank you!

Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name: ZoneAlarm (Free)

<hr></blockquote>

What are your permissions for &quot;Generic Host&quot; (svchost.exe)? Some people require:

trusted access - checkmark
    internet access - checkmark
    trusted server - checkmark (some people get by with a ? here, but with connection problems, usually a checkmark is required)
    internet server - ? or X

Do you use a router or &quot;gateway device&quot; that does NAT? What zone do you have your network in?

I'm a bit confused by your statement that you have added the DNS and DHCP servers IP addresses to both the Trusted and Internet Zones. You can only MANUALLY add them to one zone. For connectivity problems, they do need to be in the Trusted Zone. By the way, that's not done in Firewall|Main|Advanced area, but in the Firewall|Zones tab|&quot;Add&quot; button. Please report back with the above info.

Message Edited by Critterjoe on 01-20-200709:51 PM

critterjoe Guest

<blockquote><hr>longlac wrote:
    I don't know if this info is of any relevance, but when I ran &quot;Network Diagnostics for Windows XP&quot; (after trying, unsuccessfully, to access the internet using IE), I received the following message:
    &quot;Windows cannot connect to the Internet using HTTP, HTTPS, or FTP. This is probably caused by firewall settings on this computer. Check the firewall settings for the HTTP port (80), HTTPS port (443) and FTP port (21).&quot;
    Does this imply that Firefox uses different ports than IE?
    <hr></blockquote>

Both browsers should use the same ports according to standard internet protocols; 80 for HTTP:, 443 for secure (encrypted) HTTPS, 21 and 20 for FTP.

longlac Guest

My permissions for &quot;Generic Host&quot; are as you suggested, three checkmarks and one X.
    No, I do not have a router; I don't know what NAT is, and I'm not aware of having a &quot;gateway device&quot;. My computer is connected to a DSL modem, which in turn is connected to a phone jack.
    How do I find out what zone I have my network in? This is a single home computer, which I thought meant I don't have a network, but maybe that's not the same kind of network you're asking about.

&quot;I'm a bit confused by your statement that you have added the DNS and DHCP servers IP addresses to both the Trusted and Internet Zones. You can only MANUALLY add them to one zone.&quot;
    Maybe I didn't explain myself right. When I go to the Firewall|Zones tab, there used to be two items there; now there are four (my DNS and DHCP addresses are one and the same):

(Name)Inter(R)PRO/100 VE Network Connection (Entry Type)Adapter Subnet (Zone)Internet
    (Name)DNS and DHCP -added manually (Entry Type)IP Address (Zone)Internet
    (Name)Loopback adapter (Entry Type)IP Address (Zone)Trusted
    (Name)DNS and DHCP -added manually (Entry Type)IP Address (Zone)Trusted

&quot;For connectivity problems, they do need to be in the Trusted Zone.&quot; So should I NOT have added the Internet zone entry?

&quot;By the way, that's not done in Firewall|Main|Advanced area, but in the Firewall|Zones tab|&quot;Add&quot; button.&quot;
    My mistake - you're obviously right about how to access those settings. What I did in Firewall|Main|Advanced was to put checkmarks in the boxes to &quot;Allow Outgoing DNS/DHCP in Trusted [and Internet] Zone on High setting&quot;.
    Are those settings okay? I used to lose connectivity altogether after not using the computer for even short periods of time, and I read somewhere that that was the way to solve that problem - and, with the exception of Internet Explorer, the fix HAS seemed to work. But I don't know if maybe I've created a leak in the firewall or something by doing that...

If both IE and Firefox are use the same port by default, why do I only lose IE connectivity, and not Firefox?

Thanks for the help!

critterjoe Guest

Even with a single PC, all your components are considered a &quot;network.&quot; It's just that your network consists only of 1 PC instead of 3,15, or 100.

Looking at the info you provided your network is in the Internet Zone, which is good. The name of your network is &quot;Intel(R)Pro VE Network Connection....&quot;. Loopback adapter is correctly in the Trusted Zone. You don't need to put the DNS/DHCP addresses in both the Internet and Trusted zone. For connectivity problems, you place them in the Trusted Zone.

I'm not sure why your network shows up as entry type &quot;adapter subnet&quot;. You didn't set your network up as an ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) did you? I use the same &quot;Intel(R)Pro VE Network Connection&quot; but my entry type says &quot;network&quot;, not &quot;adapter subnet.&quot; But you may have set your network up differently than I did when you ran the Network Configuration Wizard in Win XP or whatever network installation software you used.

Here is how to get the addresses of the components of your network, which you may already know:

Start|Run; in the command line type &quot;cmd /k ipconfig /all&quot; (without the quotes). People who use a router or a &quot;gateway&quot; or a modem that has a builtway gateway that does NAT, will get results similar to:

Physical Address: XX-XX-XX-XX-XX-XX
    DHCP Enabled: Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled: Yes
    IP Address: 192.168.x.x.
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway: 192.168.x.x
    DHCP Server: 192.168.x.x
    DNS Servers: 192.168.x.x (There may be 2 numbers here if the actual DNS numbers from your ISP are used)

The actual numbers will vary according to whether a router/gateway is used, and also varies by router brand. Some start with 172, some with 10, etc.

If your modem has no gateway/NAT function,then the above numbers will likely look all different and random instead of all starting with 192, 172, or 10. The fact that your DNS and DHCP are the same number, however, makes me wonder if your DSL modem does have some NAT capability (NAT assigns hidden IP addresses to your IPCONFIG so that your REAL IP address from your ISP does not have to be used on the LAN side of your network and remains hidden). Some modems are actually combination modem/gateway devices; some are just plain old modems.

You can read about NAT at:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network...ss_translation

Most people will not need to do any advanced firewall configuration beyond placing the DNS/DHCP server address in the Trusted Zone at the Firewall|Zoones tab. &quot;Allow Outgoing DNS/DHCP&quot; is kind of redundant; since you are already allowing that by placing the DNS/DHCP permission into the Trusted Zone anyway, which already has that permission by default when set to Medium. I really don't use those custom settings, so I can't really advise you on that. Most people can get by with just using the manual entries into the Trusted Zone. If it still doesn't work after that, you'll have to get someone else on here to advise you on setting up any deeper customized settings.

If your DNS and DHCP numbers are the same, they don't have to be listed twice, since the program goes by the IP number.

So in my opinion, the only thing you need in that tab is your network (which already shows up there by default, although not sure why it is called &quot;adapter subnet&quot;--ICS?) in the internet zone, your loopback adapter in the trusted zone, and one entry for the number for your DNS/DHCP (which is the same number in your case) in the trusted zone. At the Firewall|Main tab, the Internet zone should be set on High, and the Trusted Zone set on Medium.

I can't tell you why IE and Firefox might handle something differently. They are two different programs written by two different organizations. So they work with different code in different ways. Each can also be configured with multiple options, permissions, javascript, Active X (in IE), etc.

I'm not sure why you can't use Google Earth via Firefox; that's probably either a Firefox setting or ZA setting that can be overcome. If certain images won't display, it could be due to a Privacy Settings issue in ZA that can usually be customized to allow use of the problem website. Since Google Earth is not a Microsoft website I would think it should work with any browser, and I would think there would be a way to configure ZA to allow its view. I'm not a member of Google Earth so I can't test it. Have you contacted Google Earth to see if it works with Firefox, or asked in the Firefox online forum about using Firefox and Google Earth together? The Firefox forum gives very quick answers and is viewed by many users; you can ask anonymously without registering. If you ask them, be very specific about what happens when you try to use Firefox to access the Google Earth; also tell them you're using ZA.

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewforum.php?f=38

Good luck!

Message Edited by Critterjoe on 01-21-200706:52 PM

donvanhalen Guest

Same exact problem. Have a Dell 8100 (year=2000). Also shows up as Adapter subnet in za. I have had this problem for over a year now. I swapped out my Microsoft nic card for a 3com card, thinking the card was timing out. I had the DSL company swap out my modem two months ago thinking the modem had a time out I could not find in the config. For a while you could right click on the local network icon, click repair twice, and the connection came back. Now it takes a reboot every time. Have search forums for a while. This is the first post I ran into that exactly describes my problem. It is frustrating to my family and myself to reboot after a period of non-use. My daughter also has a Dell (around a year 2004 model) that this also occurs on.

I also have my program control with three checks and an X. I have tried many basic things, but have not had anything work. Tonight, I found if I end za, hit recyle on firefox or ie, my connection somehow reconnects to my home page. Then I restart za and it is good to go until it sits unused for a while. &quot;Rebooting&quot; za is better that the pc reboot, but it still is frustrating.

critterjoe Guest

<blockquote><hr>DonVanHalen wrote:
    Same exact problem. Have a Dell 8100 (year=2000). Also shows up as Adapter subnet in za. I have had this problem for over a year now. I swapped out my Microsoft nic card for a 3com card, thinking the card was timing out. I had the DSL company swap out my modem two months ago thinking the modem had a time out I could not find in the config. For a while you could right click on the local network icon, click repair twice, and the connection came back. Now it takes a reboot every time. Have search forums for a while. This is the first post I ran into that exactly describes my problem. It is frustrating to my family and myself to reboot after a period of non-use. My daughter also has a Dell (around a year 2004 model) that this also occurs on.

I also have my program control with three checks and an X. I have tried many basic things, but have not had anything work. Tonight, I found if I end za, hit recyle on firefox or ie, my connection somehow reconnects to my home page. Then I restart za and it is good to go until it sits unused for a while. &quot;Rebooting&quot; za is better that the pc reboot, but it still is frustrating.
    <hr></blockquote>

Hi, Don:
    More info is needed. First, which ZA product and version are you using?

Secondly, I see you use DSL to connect to the Internet. Do use a router that does NAT between your PC and the modem? If there is no router, does your modem have any advanced features like a combo modem/router or what is sometimes called a &quot;gateway device&quot; that does NAT?

Thirdly, how is your network set up? Are you a single PC on a network connected to a router or to a modem? Or do you have several PC's connected to the same router or modem/gatewy, each with a version of ZA? Or are you using ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) where one of your PC's serves as a &quot;gateway&quot;?

Fourthly, in the ZA Control Panel, your network appears in &quot;entry type&quot; as an &quot;adapter subnet&quot; instead of the word &quot;network&quot;, correct? &quot;Adapter Subnet&quot; makes me suspicious you use ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) as your type of Network Connection. What zone is it in--Internet Zone or Trusted Zone? In fact, in the interest of time, tell me everything you see listed in the columns at Firewall|Zones Tab. The columns will be name, IP address/site, entry type, zone.

Usually, connectivity problems can be improved by adding the DNS and DHCP servers into the Trusted Zone. Have you tried this in the past? Before deciding if that might help you, you need to answer the questions above.

You also stated you have &quot;3 checks and an X&quot; in program control. But you didn't say for which program. Did you mean for your browser? or were you talking about Generic Host (svchost.exe) or what??

Sorry to ask so many questions, but they are all important. Good luck.

Message Edited by Critterjoe on 01-26-200711:38 PM

donvanhalen Guest

Hi Joe,

za-6.5.737

I have a Westell Dual Connect DSL modem. model=NAT combo. From there, I go to a D-Link DSS-8+ switch.

We have two desktops and two laptops connected to the D-link, all are home runs with their own copies of za. The DSL modem install was only installed on the &quot;main computer&quot;, mine Hence, I don't think I am using ICS, because my computer can be off and the rest still have access. But maybe it is setup as ICS, how can I tell?

The 3com card is in the Internet zone. The details are:
    Name = 3com 3c905tx-based ethernet adapter(Generic)-Packet scheduler miniport
    ip address=192.168.1.40/255.255.255.0
    Entry type= adapter subnet
    zone = Internet

I was talking about the Generic Host having the three checks and an x. Firefox and IE have two checks in Access and question marks in Server.

Thanks for the quick response!

Don

critterjoe Guest

<blockquote><hr>DonVanHalen wrote:
    Hi Joe,

za-6.5.737

I have a Westell Dual Connect DSL modem. model=NAT combo. From there, I go to a D-Link DSS-8+ switch.

We have two desktops and two laptops connected to the D-link, all are home runs with their own copies of za. The DSL modem install was only installed on the &quot;main computer&quot;, mine Hence, I don't think I am using ICS, because my computer can be off and the rest still have access. But maybe it is setup as ICS, how can I tell?

The 3com card is in the Internet zone. The details are:
    Name = 3com 3c905tx-based ethernet adapter(Generic)-Packet scheduler miniport
    ip address=192.168.1.40/255.255.255.0
    Entry type= adapter subnet
    zone = Internet

I was talking about the Generic Host having the three checks and an x. Firefox and IE have two checks in Access and question marks in Server.

Thanks for the quick response!

Don
    <hr></blockquote>

I'm no ICS expert and have never used it, but what makes me think you have ICS set up on your main computer is the fact that you are showing &quot;adapter subnet&quot; as entry type in Firewall|Zones tab instead of &quot;Network&quot;. One way you can tell is to do this. Go to Windows XP's Start|Control Panel|Network Connections. See how many entries are there--if 2 that's suspicious of ICS. One may be called &quot;Local Area Connection&quot; with type &quot;LAN or Hi-speed Internet&quot;. Another one may be called &quot;gateway&quot;. If the entries there only show icons, to see the full details at the very top of the toolbar click View|Details. Or you can click on the multicolored button in the top toolbar that is usually just to the right of the button called &quot;folders&quot;. This will make your network connections display several columns such as name, type, status, device name, etc. If you have more than one connection showing up, see if one says &quot;gateway&quot; anywhere. If it does, that implies ICS, and I think either your WinXP came configured that way already, or you accidentally set up ICS when you ran the Network Setup Wizard.

You say you are using ZA 6.5.737. More info is needed. Is that free or paid? And does that mean you are using just the simple ZA plain firewall, or are you using ZA PRO or ZA Internet Security Suite? Is your Internet Zone security set to HIGH (the slider at Firewall|Main), and your Trusted Zone set to medium? (both of these are ZA default values)

Even if you are set up with ICS on your main computer, you may not be using it(and doesn't sound like you want to), and the other three computers may or may not be set up as ICS. You'll have to check the Firewall|Zones tab on each of them and see if they also have &quot;adapter subnet&quot;. And check each one's XP &quot;Network Connections&quot; to see if they have 1 or 2 entries.

I'm not familiar with all different brands of modems and routers, but it sounds like your modem/NAT combo has only a single ethernet port on the network side (as opposed to multiple) which is why you use a switch so you can connect several computers to the one port of the modem via the multiple ports on the switch, is that correct? Then the modem (you say it does NAT) will assign each of your 4 computers an IP address that begins with 192.168.x.x. or something similar (different brands use different starting numbers). Some use 172.x.x.x. or 10.x.x.x I believe.

I'll go ahead, in the interest of time, tell you how most people solve connectivity problems when they have their network or subnet adapter in the Internet Zone. They add the IP addresses of their DNS and DHCP servers into the Trusted Zone, which is set to medium. You may know how to get the addresses of your DNS and DHCP servers, but here's how:

Go to Start|Run. In the command line type &quot;cmd /k ipconfig /all&quot; (without the quotes). People who use a router or a &quot;gateway&quot; or a modem that has a builtway gateway that does NAT, will get results similar to:

Physical Address: XX-XX-XX-XX-XX-XX
    DHCP Enabled: Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled: Yes
    IP Address: 192.168.x.x.
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway: 192.168.x.x
    DHCP Server: 192.168.x.x (This could be different)
    DNS Servers: 192.168.x.x (There may be 2 numbers here if the actual DNS numbers from your ISP are displayed)

First check and see if DHCP and autoconfig. are showing up as &quot;enabled&quot; as above.

So once you have the DHCP and DNS server numbers (which may be the same), do a manual entry into the Trusted Zone at Firewall|Zone tabs by clicking the &quot;add&quot; button. If they are the same, just one entry is needed since ZA goes by the number. If they are different, enter both. Sometimes there are even 2 DNS servers, but often just one since your modem does NAT. Did yours start with 192.168.1.x?

OK, that's a lot for you to check. Report back on what you find. Good luck.

Message Edited by Critterjoe on 01-28-200701:32 AM

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information