Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cannot connect to Windows XP Update

aldenlanding Guest

Default Cannot connect to Windows XP Update

I am unable to connect to windows xp update. I receive an error message 0x80072F76 when I try and connect. I contacted microsoft and they suggested turning off Zone Alarm (latest version of zone alarm security suite). When I did, I can connect to update right away.How can I configure Zone Alarm so that I do not have to turn it off in order to connect to windows update?Any help would be greatly appreciated.Thank you.

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:6.0

ad_hock Guest

Default Re: Cannot connect to Windows XP Update

Hi aldenlanding
    Try what Guru Bill suggest in this post http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...d=20592#M20592
    Best regards

aldenlanding Guest

Tried your suggestions, did not help.Any other suggestions would be very much appreciated.Thank you.A.L.

zaswing Guest

May I also suggest to Enable Privacy on that site, and as soon as the error happens, follow the Microsoft instructions and in the IE tools menu permit ActiveX. Shutting down ZA should not be necessary. It works for me but it took a long time to realize to do all these steps I didn't know about that post at the time.Microsoft now has a policy about Validating your account by checking the KEY. That's where this ActiveX is needed. It's a whole separate process which certainly is NOT clear when all you want to do is check for updates. While looking for a solution to the error, I stumbled on that.

aldenlanding Guest

Thanks for your reply.Could you walk me through the steps you suggested. I am not sure how to do them.Thanks again.

ad_hock Guest

Did you try the suggestions i made in disabling everything in privacy?
    Best regards

zaswing Guest

Trial and error :8} It doesn't bite.Really, follow the Gurus' instructions, they know what they speak of.A bit from me:Start here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...p_current.mspxQuote with [my 5 cents in square brackets]:How to sign up for Microsoft Update
    There are two stages to this process that you'll follow in these steps. Set up the Microsoft Update program and Automatic Updates. (You only do this once.) Depending on your system, this may include installing two ActiveX controls, which are small pieces of software that help Microsoft Update talk to your computer.
    [my note: step 3 of this segment tells you on the screen exactly what to do in IE]

Direct Microsoft Update to check your computer and install any necessary updates.
    [my note: On the left side of this window I recall seeing some button about account validation. When you click it, this step flashes quickly and gets immediately covered by the ERROR window if ZA is not setup correctly. Don't exit MS site. Correct ZA and try again. Private headers, mobile code, I don't recall if webBugs needed to be enabled. Needless to say, for this to work you also must have a legitimate copy of Windows and you do not have to hunt for the key# because Bill Gates reads it out of your computer and you gotta let him do it this time.]

aldenlanding Guest

Thanks to everyone for their help. It was very much appreciated.

Unfortunately, I could not get most of the suggestions to work.

But, for what it is worth, I stumbled across a repair that might help others.

Start computer in safe mode.
    Open windows explorer.
    open c:\windows
    find subfolder "internet logs"
    delete all files that end in .RDB
    empty recycle bin.
    restart computer normally.

This seems to wipe out many zonealarm settings, but that is a minor problem. Answer a few questions and they are reset.
    Click on windows update and it worked.

I hope this helps someone else too.

ad_hock Guest

Hi aldenlanding
    So what you did was basically a reset of the data base. It was one of the further steps. Thanks for sharing the information,deeply appreciated.
    Best regards

zaswing Guest

This is interesting to say the least. So the deleting of that RDB file takes care of the upgrades instead of all that Microsoft stuff one has to wade through and follow?My upgrades went ok without the deleting (perhaps different ZA settings?), but I'm just curious what that RDB file has in it than has such a vast impact. Also I'd just would like to know what's in that file.My hacking skills are near zero

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information