Thread: Work Around Loss of Connectivity

frozencookie Guest

Default Work Around Loss of Connectivity

HELP!!!
    I have been so pleased with Zone Alarm over the 4 years that I have had it installed on several computers, but I AM PULLING MY HAIR OUT now.
    I (think) I have tried every suggestion in the Forums to ensure that my ZA is configured with my correct Default Gateway, NHCP Server, DNS Server... I still can only access IE 1 in 5 logon attempts.
    Typically I receive the error Cannot Display Webpage.
    I run Network Diag.
    Sometimes it finds no problems, and then I can log in.
    Sometimes I receive an error that I need to switch off my router, wait 3 minutes and try again.

I almost always end-up rebooting my entire system.
    Usually, on reboot I can get out the first attempt, but not always.
    When I look at the Error Report, typically I receive Error 12007.
    On occassion I have "successfully connected to hotmail.com", or "successfully connected to Passport.net", but always receive "FTP.Microsoft.com - Server name or address could not be resolved ."
    Is it safe to say that if I shutdown Zone Alarm, then boot IE, then boot ZA (which is about the only way I can get on to IE the first time), that I basically am operating in an unsafe environment, without ZA protection?

Or, conversely, what I'm asking is Can I boot ZA after booting IE for firewall or anti-virus/spam, etc. protection?
    Any help is GREATLY appreciated.
    Susan
    PS - I am running ZA Internet Security Suite
    (ver. 6.5.737) on XP Home

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:6.5

billc Guest

Default Re: Work Around Loss of Connectivity

You say you have your DNS and DHCP server IP's in the Trusted zone. It's your DHCP server that is likely being blocking which will cause your connection to drop. You may actually have the wrong IP or your ZASS database is corrupt. Either way, I'd suggest you reset the database and start anew. Reset the database this way; you will lose your customizations and will need to reconfigure Zone Alarm.

1. Boot your computer into the Safe Mode. {Instructions if needed}
    2. Navigate to the c:\windows\internet logs folder.
    3. Delete the backup.rdb and iamdb.rdb files in the folder.
    4.Reboot into the normal mode.

Thread Information