Thread: ZA CHANGES NETWORK

lexaustralia Guest

Default ZA CHANGES NETWORK

Hi, I have one internet connection. My son and I share this via a Belken switch, which we activate so that one person can use the internet and then later we switch the connection so that the other person can use it. Usually switches ok, but occasionally ZA will say that it has found another network, no chance to ignore this, it demands an answer and installs this new setting. Original working setting is 10.0.0.0/255.255.255.0.,
    new setting which renders the internet inaccessible is 169.254.0.0/255.255.0.0.
    The only way I know to get things to work again is to do a Restore Point reset in Windows XP. This is a life saver but I am getting sick of it. Can I edit the setting back by correcting the numbers in the edit option of Internet and Trusted areas of ZA. The new network overwrites the old one , or appears to, no original setting is there. Next step is Window One Care.
    Many thanksLex.

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Antivirus
    Software Version:7.0

critterjoe Guest

Default Re: ZA CHANGES NETWORK

<blockquote><hr>LEXAUSTRALIA wrote:
    Hi, I have one internet connection. My son and I share this via a Belken switch, which we activate so that one person can use the internet and then later we switch the connection so that the other person can use it. Usually switches ok, but occasionally ZA will say that it has found another network, no chance to ignore this, it demands an answer and installs this new setting. Original working setting is 10.0.0.0/255.255.255.0., new setting which renders the internet inaccessible is 169.254.0.0/255.255.0.0. . The only way I know to get things to work again is to do a Restore Point reset in Windows XP. This is a life saver but I am getting sick of it. Can I edit the setting back by correcting the numbers in the edit option of Internet and Trusted areas of ZA. The new network overwrites the old one , or appears to, no original setting is there. Next step is Window One Care.Many thanksLex.

Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name: ZoneAlarm Antivirus
    Software Version: 7.0

<hr></blockquote>

Gidday, Lex:

A restore point sounds a little drastic. Until you get the problem solved, have you tried just a simple reboot of your PC to see if that restores the normal network connection as a temporary fix?

The 169.254.0.0 from what I know as a fellow user, is a default network that anyone running WinXP will get if their normal network fails; i.e., if their PC fails to get connected to a DHCP server. I believe it defaults to this local 169.254 network so that people with multiple PCs and printers, etc. on their LAN can still communicate on a local level even though they can't reach the internet. Again, I'm no expert in this area, but this is my understanding. So the fact that you are getting a 169.254 network to show up just tells me that your normal network connection is not working, so WinXP defaults to that local one as far as I know. You cannot edit the IP numbers of an active network in ZoneAlarm. This network 169.254 arises from WinXP through what is called APIPA (Automatic private IP addressing).

I have a lot of questions to ask, but they will help people give you advice if they know more about your situation.

How do you connect to the internet? Dialup or cable/DSL? If the latter, do you use a router or a modem that contains a &quot;gateway device&quot; that does NAT? If your normal network starts with a 10.0.0.0, then I suspect that you have *something* that uses NAT. Are the IP addresses for your PC and your son's PC something like 10.0.0.x and 10.0.0.y?

Do both your and your son's computers have their own copy of ZA installed? Or do you use &quot;internet connection sharing&quot; with ZA installed only on your computer and your son's computer then goes through your gateway PC to reach the internet? What kind of Belkin switch are you using--do you have the type and model name? I'm not sure I understand what you mean when you say you have to switch the connection later; what steps does that involve?

Thanks for the additional info, and hopefully fellow users will be able to help you. In the meantime, if you lose your network, instead of doing the restore point, see if you can just reboot to get it back. Even that is not a good permanent fix, however, and once everything is properly configured you shouldn't even have to reboot. Good luck.

Message Edited by Critterjoe on 02-12-200712:22 AM

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:6.1

Thread Information