Thread: Problem with latest version of hotmail -- Windows Live Mail Beta

Hybrid View

jebe Guest

Default Problem with latest version of hotmail -- Windows Live Mail Beta

I am using ZoneAlarm Security Suite version 6.5.737.000 and have been using the Windows Live Mail Beta version of hotmail for years without incident. Microsoft recently made some changes to their software 2-3 weeks ago, and it now hangs intermittently about 25% of the time. I could be reading and sending emails just fine, but it will sometimes just hang. When I shut down Zonealarm, hotmail works fine. It also works fine on another machine that doesn't run Zonealarm. In the Privacy section of Zonealarm, I've configured the following sites to have complete access including animation, webbugs and private headers.
    -- hotmail.com, hotmail.msn.com, msn.com, login.live.com, by123w.bay123.mail.live.com
    Any help would be appreciated.
    jebe

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:6.5

billc Guest

Default Re: Problem with latest version of hotmail -- Windows Live Mail Beta

When you said you allowed "complete" access, did you put green checks across the Site List page or did you right click on each entry individually, select 'options', then go through each tab to confirm nothing is still blocked? If you haven't done that, try it and then clean your browser cache before you go back to the site.

jebe Guest

Bill,
    Two of the websites had the "Ads to Block" checked, so I unchecked them, cleaned the cache and rebooted, but Hotmail still hangs intermittently. Any other suggestions? I have to shutdown Zonealarm for hotmail to run reliably.
    Paul

billc Guest

Do you have any other security software that blocks cookies running along with Zone Alarm? If so turn it off and see if that helps. Another thing to try is to go to your Zone Alarm Privacy > Main panel and turn off all of your Main Privacy blocking then see if you can use Hotmail while Zone Alarm is running but Privacy is turned off. Let us know.

jebe Guest

I shut off Cookie Control, Ad Blocking,
    and Mobile Code Control
    located in the Privacy->Main tab, and hotmail now seems to be working much better. Do these global settings overide the specific settings in the Privacy->Site_List tab? If so, do you think there is another website that needs to be configured so hotmail will work with the global settings turned back on?

rmills Guest

I have same problem.Can
    login to
    windows livemail ok, navigate mail folders ok, but opening/reading mail takes 6 minutes.Have included the following in site list:

hotmail.com, hotmail.msn.com, live.com login.live.com, mail.live.com, msn.com, passport.comallowing all cookies and private headers.Have enabled "Show Privacy Advisor" and received about 4 'advisories, and added these to the privacy site list.But email still takes 6 minutes to read with either Privacy:cookie control or Privacy:Add blocking enabledIf I turn both to off...I can read my email in seconds.
    Any suggestions, or else I'll have to run with these turned off to use windows livemail.

Thread Information