Thread: MS Word's "Help" Cannot Connect to MS....

teslawriter Guest

Default MS Word's "Help" Cannot Connect to MS....

Hi all:
    We have a brand new Toshiba Quosmio and are using the 60-day trial version of Word, which we registered with MS.
    When I try to use "Help" in Word, and I
    use the "Search" function,
    the dialogue box opens up, with the blue-bolded subheads,.

So far, so good.
    But when I try to click on any of the subheads, it doesn't work.
    It trys to connect--this I know because the Zone Alarm box would come up, asking whether we wanted to "Deny" or "Allow" the communication with Word.
    We click "Allow" but all we get is this:
    [img]res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\shdoclc.dll/pagerror.gif[/img]Action canceledInternet Explorer was unable to link to the Web page you requested. The page might be temporarily unavailable.<hr>

Please try the following:<ul>[*]Click the <a target="_self">[img]res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\shdoclc.dll/refresh.gif[/img]</a><a target="_self">Refresh</a> button, or try again later.[*]If you have visited this page previously and you want to view what has been stored on your computer, click File, and then click Work Offline.[*]For information about offline browsing with Internet Explorer, click the Help menu, and then click Contents and Index.[/list]

Internet Explorer

Actually, we used to get a longer message, indicating we should change IE's &quot;Connection&quot; in the &quot;LAN Settings&quot; to &quot;Automatically detect settings,&quot; which I did--that stopped the second part of the message, leaving us with the above &quot;Action Cancelled&quot; message.
    I've added &quot;office.microsoft.com&quot; to Zone Alarm's &quot;Trusted Sites&quot;.
    I've added http://office.microsoft.com and http://www.zonelabs.com to IE's &quot;Trusted Sites&quot; field--in fact, until I did the latter, I IE couldn't even find this forum! LOL
    We're using IE 6.0 with Service Pack 2.
    NOW... I CAN connect to MS Word's online help manually, if I go to &quot;Help&quot; and click the drop down menu for &quot;Microsoft Online Help,&quot; and I can get my answers that way.
    But that's not very convenient and I would like the program to connect from it's Help search results window, the way it's supposed to.
    Any ideas?
    Has anyone else had this problem?
    Also, my g.f. told Zone Alarm not to ask us anymore, whether to &quot;Allow&quot; or &quot;Deny&quot; contact with MS.
    Consequently, we no longer even know if the computer is trying to connect or not.
    Can anyone tell me how make Zone Alarm ask us, every time, whether to allow it to talk with MS again, as it used to do?

Thank you in advance for any help with these problems.
    Sincerely,
    Peter

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:

Default Re: MS Word's "Help" Cannot Connect to MS....

In the application that are in question, right click these in the Program Control. Select the Options. Do this for the word and the IE and the windows/microsoft email client.

Check the first two item and if the enable Privacy is showing, then check that also.

The sites mentions should be listed in the Privacy of the ZA in the site list. If they are not, then add these manually. Give it all green check marks. Ot click the site and in the Custom , allow all to enter.

As for the ZA to ask every time, just change the green check marks to the blue question mark in the Program Control list.

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information