Thread: Problem listening to streaming Internet after installing ZA Pro

odyssey Guest

Default Problem listening to streaming Internet after installing ZA Pro

For years I have been listening to austinriffs.com. One clicks on "To The Shows" which takes you to a list of the shows and then one clicks on a show. At this point a blue "Apple Quicktime logo thingy" shows up then turns into a typical little music slider bar.

But recently instead of playing the approximately one hour show, the slider moves across very quickly (plays with sound for 3 or 4 seconds) then stops and no more sound.

I recently installed Zonealarm Pro and I think that the problem surfaced afterwards. I have ZA Pro, Norton AV, and Firefox NoScript extension. I have attempted to give that URL full clearance in each one of these. What is perplexing is that it plays at all even if for only a few seconds. I would think that it would either play normally or not at all.

I have the same problem with any site using the Quicktime thingy.

What gives? TIA

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:6.5

Default Re: Problem listening to streaming Internet after installing ZA Pro

In the NAV, make sure the web intrusion or worm guard or network guard is turned off. This is a mini firewall and it could be interferring.

In the FF, make sure the NoScripts is set to allow all from the site and that all cookies are allowed for the site as well.

In the ZA, open the Privacy and open the site list and click the site shown (or add the site manually) and in the Custom, allow all web content. The site should have all green checks after doing this.

In the ZA, open the Program Control and click the FF and in the Options, select the first two items.

vlean the browser's cache and clean the disk and reboot and it should work now.

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

odyssey Guest

OS, Thanks for yours. I have done all of that (I think), but no cigar.

To complicate, or facilitate this solution, I have just tried my somewhat dated version of DeepNet Explorer (which piggy backs onto IE and provides a better interface) and the QT player worked just fine. Does this tell you anything?

Open the OSfirewall tab and make sure the StartUp Programs and the ActiveX component has two flat bars. The OSFirewall could be blocking these.

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

odyssey Guest

OS, Hope I'm not being impossibly dense here, but what is the osfirewall?

odyssey Guest

Also does the fact that the QT will work for a few seconds indicate something out of the ordinary? Most of what was suggested in your first post seems to me to be things that will allow (or not) full functionality, not partial. No?

Some of the mistakes made are people see the javascripts must be allowed, but they fail to realise that web bugs, animation, allowing links, sounds, some plugins, some Jpegs and Gifs, and some ads are all using some form of javascripts. By blocking these, the player could be not neccessarily get all the javascripts and this could be the problem. The usual advise is allow all for the filtering and click the sites in the list, use the Custom and allow all in the tabs.

Often the alerts for the blocked content can be allowed and the ZA poups will show the blocked content. That can help trace what was blocked and what still must be allowed.

Private headers is important to be allowed. This is commonly called "referer". Some site interactions will not work properly without it.

The VBScript are similar to javascripts and are needed for some sites. The IE/IE clones are some of last ones to still use VBScripts. Ditto for the ActiveX components.

Basically the Privacy was designed for the IE/IE clone browsers. The users of FireFox and Opera don't find the Privacy filtering that neccessary to have.

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information