Thread: Feb 13 - Black Tuesday

hobbesotr Guest

Default Feb 13 - Black Tuesday

Add me to the growing list of ZA users having problems since the big MickeySoft Tuesday updates.
    Since doing that I'm having frequent intermittent internet connection problems.
    Reading recent posts, it seems like most users are finding prob's w/IE.
    In my case, it's anything which connects to the internet.
    As it happens intermittently in the background there's no knowledge of it until the internet needs to be accessed.
    One peculiar prob that occurs is 2 Outlook 2k3 email accts report consistent send or receive problems.
    Then, as suddenly as the connection is lost, pop - it's back.
    I've been able to confirm the problem by have absolutely no prob's after uninstalling ZA.
    I hope ZL will come up w/an answer real soon.
    Until then, I'm going to have to settle on NAT to the extent it provides protection.

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:7.0

critterjoe Guest

Default Re: Feb 13 - Black Tuesday

<blockquote><hr>hobbesotr wrote:
    Add me to the growing list of ZA users having problems since the big MickeySoft Tuesday updates. Since doing that I'm having frequent intermittent internet connection problems. Reading recent posts, it seems like most users are finding prob's w/IE. In my case, it's anything which connects to the internet. As it happens intermittently in the background there's no knowledge of it until the internet needs to be accessed. One peculiar prob that occurs is 2 Outlook 2k3 email accts report consistent send or receive problems. Then, as suddenly as the connection is lost, pop - it's back. I've been able to confirm the problem by have absolutely no prob's after uninstalling ZA. I hope ZL will come up w/an answer real soon. Until then, I'm going to have to settle on NAT to the extent it provides protection.

Operating System: Windows XP Pro
    Product Name: ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version: 7.0

<hr></blockquote>

Hi:
    Sorry you're having problems. First of all, if you elected to turn off ZA, why not re-enable Windows Firewall so you at least have *something* besides your NAT router.

In any case, hopefully you can get ZA reconfigured soon so that you don't turn it off. Have you tried the following? --

You might want to remove IE and Outlook from the program list and let ZA reconfigure them.

Go into ZA's control panel to your program control list. Find entries for your Internet Explorer and your MS Outlook 2000. Click on one to highlight it, then you can press your Delete key on your keyboard, and choose &quot;yes&quot; to confirm. Or you can right-click the entry name and in the menu popup choose &quot;remove&quot;, then &quot;yes&quot; to confirm. Then do the same for the other program entry. ZA should reconfigure those programs the next time they run. I'd probably reboot after deleting them, but that may not be necessary.

A more involved and complete, although not difficult, means of resetting everything in ZA is with a &quot;database reset.&quot; This will erase all program entries and permissions, security settings, and will return program options, etc. to defaults in the control panel screens, so it's a bigger reset; similar to the status after a fresh install, and you will have to customize all your ZA control panel options again. I can give you the instructions for that if you don't know how to do it.

If your connectivity remains a problem even after reconfiguring the program permissions in the control panel or a database reset, it could be a problem with reaching DNS/DHCP servers, whose IP addresses some people have to add to the Trusted Zone.

Please report back with your progress, or lack of, for further suggestions from fellow users. Good luck.

Message Edited by Critterjoe on 02-18-200708:22 PM

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:6.1

hobbesotr Guest

Default Re: Feb 13 - Black Tuesday

thanx for the suggestions...

Thread Information