Thread: Accidentally pressed deny on a website, want to reverse

chris_frederick Guest

Default Accidentally pressed deny on a website, want to reverse

I have Zone Alarm Pro running on XP.
    My problem is when one of those alerts came up on a banking website I check frequently I accidentally pressed deny.
    Now when I try to access that site it will
    go to it and then shut down
    immediately.
    I have looked in program control and cannot find the actual site or program so I can try to allow access again. How do
    I reverse this
    or how do I find out which program it is?

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:6.5

critterjoe Guest

Default Re: Accidentally pressed deny on a website, want to reverse

<blockquote><hr>chris_frederick wrote:
    I have Zone Alarm Pro running on XP. My problem is when one of those alerts came up on a banking website I check frequently I accidentally pressed deny. Now when I try to access that site it will go to it and then shut down immediately. I have looked in program control and cannot find the actual site or program so I can try to allow access again. How do I reverse this or how do I find out which program it is?

Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name: ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version: 6.5

<hr></blockquote>

Hi, Chris:
    Sorry you're having trouble. I'm not exactly sure what process you denied by clicking on the alert, so one thing you might do empirically is to go to ZA control panel to Program Control list, and delete your browser program from the list. The next time it runs, ZA will re-insert it into the list and you can reconfigure the permissions for it.

Also, you can go to Privacy|Site list, and delete any URLs which reference your banking site in question--it may be one or more. Next time you access the website, ZA will give the site whatever default privacy settings you have configured at Privacy|Main, and you can refine the privacy permissions at the Site List if necessary to gain access to all the site's features. You could even delete all entries in the Privacy|Site List, but you would lose any customizations that you had done for any particular URL's. To delete multiple entries you click the top entry name to highlight, then release the mouse button and scroll down to the last entry and Shift-click (press shift and click at same time). All entries between the two click points should be highlighted. Press &quot;Delete&quot; on the keyboard and answer &quot;yes&quot; if confirming.

If it turns out that even after that you can't figure out which program(s) you denied certain permissions to, you can always do a &quot;database reset&quot; to restore all of the ZA control panel to a &quot;virgin&quot; state similar to a fresh install, but much easier. Of course, you lose all your customized security settings if you do that, and have to reconfigure your program permissions and ZA control panel options, and any firewall entries including loopback adapter. If you ultimately have to go this route, many here can tell you how, or you can search on &quot;database reset.&quot; It involves deleting two database files in WinXP Safe Mode.

Hopefully, just deleting your browser from the Program Control list and the banking URL's from the privacy site list will solve your problem. I'd at least try those things first if it were me.

Here's a tip for the future: Once you get all your program permissions configured like you like, use the &quot;backup settings&quot; option at Overview|Preferences, and this saves all your permissions to an XML file that can be restored at some point if necessary by using the &quot;restore&quot; button. Every week or two you can make a new backup of settings to reflect any new additions/modifications.

Please report back on your progress. Good luck.

Message Edited by Critterjoe on 02-20-200704:25 PM

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:6.1

chris_frederick Guest

Default Re: Accidentally pressed deny on a website, want to reverse

That worked.
    I just went and allowed all the internet explorer programs to access the internet and now I can run it again.
    I couldn't tell which one it was, but I just allowed a bunch of programs that were related to Microsoft.
    Thank you for your help.
    CF

Thread Information