Thread: Unable to access log-on Web Page (www.commsec.com.au)

peterhm Guest

Default Unable to access log-on Web Page (www.commsec.com.au)

I switched to ZoneAlarm Security Suite in December 2006 & have had trouble-free Internet access, with one exception. www.commsec.com.au is an on-line stock trading site which I log-on with an ID and password. With my previous security (Trend Micro) I would then go to my personal page. Unfortunately this doesn't happen with ZA - the screen goes blank and the page just wont load. Tech support at commsec tell me the problem is related to ZA firewall - they can't help. I think I need to set an"expert Firewall Rule", but
    I don't really know what to do. Unfortunately, because of my location I have a very slow dial-up connection (37 kb/s) & I wonder wether this is compounding the problem, but I must stress that all other web sites that I
    log onto,
    load
    perfectly well. Any help out there?

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

critterjoe Guest

Default Re: Unable to access log-on Web Page (www.commsec.com.au)

<blockquote><hr>peterhm wrote:
    I switched to ZoneAlarm Security Suite in December 2006 &amp; have had trouble-free Internet access, with one exception. www.commsec.com.au is an on-line stock trading site which I log-on with an ID and password. With my previous security (Trend Micro) I would then go to my personal page. Unfortunately this doesn't happen with ZA - the screen goes blank and the page just wont load. Tech support at commsec tell me the problem is related to ZA firewall - they can't help. I think I need to set an&quot;expert Firewall Rule&quot;, but I don't really know what to do. Unfortunately, because of my location I have a very slow dial-up connection (37 kb/s) &amp; I wonder wether this is compounding the problem, but I must stress that all other web sites that I log onto, load perfectly well. Any help out there?

Operating System: Windows XP Pro
    Product Name: ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

<hr></blockquote>

Gidday, Peter:

I have no problem displaying the website you mention without any kind of special firewall rule. However, I'm using broadband and not dialup, so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it. I doubt it.

This *MAY* be a problem with your Privacy Settings in the ZA control panel. Do this quick test to prove whether it is or isn't. Go to Privacy|Main and you will see 3 controls: two sliders for cookies and adblocking and a radio button for &quot;mobile code&quot;. Turn all 3 OFF.

Now important: clean your browser cache and refresh your browser. Now try to access the problem website again. See if you can log in and access all features. If so, you have proven that the problem is a privacy setting issue. When you finish your business at the website, turn the controls back ON. Then also click on &quot;custom&quot; while you are there to be sure the underlying settings are back like you want them.

Now, having done that, let me tell you a bit about Privacy controls. When you turned off the 3 controls at the Privacy|Main tab, you turned off privacy for all future websites. i.e., those are global controls. Obviously, you wouldn't want to leave it this way for all websites. If you want to lower or turn off privacy settings for one particular website without affecting all the others, you do it at Privacy|Site List. There you will be able to place checkmarks in various columns until you can get a website to display. Usually with log-in troubles at a website, you can place a checkmark in &quot;mobile code&quot; and the first cookie column (or two) and &quot;private headers&quot;, and often that will be enough to allow that site to work. If not, you can Right-click the name in the site list, and choose &quot;options&quot; in the popup box. A 3-tab box will popup for cookies/adblocking/mobile code, where you can fine-tune each problem website and lower privacy for the specific things that is causing any blocking. Sometimes you have to turn off everything in the 3-tabs except &quot;web bugs&quot; option. Remember, any time you make changes in the Site List permissions or options, that in order for the change to take affect, you must clean your browser cache and refresh your browser. Otherwise, you might mistakenly think your change didn't do anything--your browser would just load the cached page with the old privacy setting.

Occasionally, no matter how much you try to individualize the privacy settings for a website, you still can't display or access all features there. This is usually due to a complex website that gets its images and content from multiple servers at multiple URL's, redirects, etc. In that case, to keep from pulling your hair out and in the interest of time, for such a website you might have to turn the 3 main privacy controls off, do your business on the site, then turn them back on. I have 2-3 websites that I visit where I have to do that.

Please post back your results. Good luck.

Message Edited by Critterjoe on 02-20-200708:48 PM

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:6.1

peterhm Guest

Thanks for all the useful tips Critterjoe.The problem
    was just as you suspected,
    a privacy setting issue, which was resolved by adjusting the settings as described. Unfortunately it seems that if I add this Web-site to Privacy/Site List and edit by checking all the boxes, then I still can't access it. I will just have to turn Privacy settings off each time I want to enter this site. No major drama!
    As an aside, this was my first use of the forum, and you have resolved my problem promptly. Cheers

critterjoe Guest

<blockquote><hr>peterhm wrote:
    Thanks for all the useful tips Critterjoe.The problem was just as you suspected, a privacy setting issue, which was resolved by adjusting the settings as described. Unfortunately it seems that if I add this Web-site to Privacy/Site List and edit by checking all the boxes, then I still can't access it. I will just have to turn Privacy settings off each time I want to enter this site. No major drama!As an aside, this was my first use of the forum, and you have resolved my problem promptly. Cheers
    <hr></blockquote>

You might be able to customize it. Did you try the following? Instead of adding and editing your single website by checking the columns, once it's added, then RIGHT-click on its name and choose &quot;options&quot;. A 3-tab box will pop up. Clear the entries in all three tabs, except I think you can leave &quot; block web bugs&quot; checked if you want. (Clicking &quot;default&quot; in each tab will also clear all entries.) And when you save those options it will save only for the one website.

In any case, you now know the principles of how to work around a site like that. Good luck!

Message Edited by Critterjoe on 02-21-200701:54 AM

Thread Information