Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ZA blocks smtp/outbound emails

mikerain Guest

Default ZA blocks smtp/outbound emails

ZoneAlarm has been working fine for years, and all of a sudden I can't send emails. When I try to send an email in Outlook Express, nothing happens. When I try to send an email in Thunderbird, it says it's contacting the smtp server, but never contacts it, never sends the email, and never stops to tell me it couldn't send. I can receive emails just fine.

When I shut down Zonealarm, I can send emails just fine.

In ZA's Program Control, the settings for OE and Thunderbird are:
    Trust Level = III
    Access, Server, and Send Mail = Allow (green checkmark)

ZA's Inbound and Outbound Mailsafe Protection are turned off.

This all started happening on Feb 19 when I returned from a weekend away. During the weekend, my computer was powered on and received several Windows updates. I don't know why that would cause this problem, but I mention it just in case.

Thanks for any light anyone can shed on this.
    - Mike
    Windows XP Home SP2
    ZoneAlarm Pro 6.5.737.000
    Mozilla Thunderbird 1.5.0.9
    Outlook Express 6.00.2900.2180

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:6.5

Default Re: ZA blocks smtp/outbound emails

Hi!have you already tried to add the smpt server address to the firewall trusted zone?Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

mikerain Guest

<blockquote><hr>fax wrote:
    Hi!
    have you already tried to add the smpt server address to the firewall trusted zone?

Fax
    <hr></blockquote>

I just tried that and it seems to be working so far, so that's good. Thank you!

I've had the same smtp server for years (smtp.comcast.net) and I've had Zonealarm for years. I never had to put the smtp server in the trusted zone. Why do I have to do it now all of a sudden?

- Mike

You're welcome...No idea Probably ZA got some corruption by the MS updates... or comcast changed something....When you have free time you could try a clean uninstall/re-install:http://www2.nohold.net/noHoldCust542...n_install.htmlCheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

mikerain Guest

I spoke too soon. It did work for a couple of emails and then stopped working. I guess I'll have to do the uninstall/reinstall. Boy that's a pain, though, and I'd rather find a different solution.

I had to uninstall and reinstall ZA a couple of months ago when I upgraded to a new version of McAfee antivirus. Mcafee's idiotic install program said it was incompatible with Zonealarm Pro and refused to install itself. I finally had to uninstall ZA, install Mcafee, then reinstall ZA. After that, Mcafee and ZA worked fine together (of course I turned off Mcafee's firewall since ZA was doing perfectly fine as a firewall).

But I hate to reinstall ZA because then I have to endure several weeks of flurries of popup questions asking if this or that is to be allowed or denied. I'd rather avoid going through that again if I can.

critterjoe Guest

<blockquote><hr>mikerain wrote:
    I spoke too soon. It did work for a couple of emails and then stopped working. I guess I'll have to do the uninstall/reinstall. Boy that's a pain, though, and I'd rather find a different solution.

I had to uninstall and reinstall ZA a couple of months ago when I upgraded to a new version of McAfee antivirus. Mcafee's idiotic install program said it was incompatible with Zonealarm Pro and refused to install itself. I finally had to uninstall ZA, install Mcafee, then reinstall ZA. After that, Mcafee and ZA worked fine together (of course I turned off Mcafee's firewall since ZA was doing perfectly fine as a firewall).

But I hate to reinstall ZA because then I have to endure several weeks of flurries of popup questions asking if this or that is to be allowed or denied. I'd rather avoid going through that again if I can.
    <hr></blockquote>

Hi:
    Before uninstalling, try this. This could very well be due to windowsupdate, since a lot of people have been having similar trouble the past week, and there were updated components of both IE7 and IE6. I don't know if it will help, but it's easy enough to try first. Go to ZA's Program Control list and remove the entries for Internet Explorer and Outlook Express. I guess you could remove the entry for Thunderbird, too, if you want. Reboot. The next time you launch those programs, ZA will put them back into the Program List and ask you if you want them to access the internet. Check the configurations in the program list to see they are like you want.

To remove a program from the Program Control list in the ZA control panel, there are 2 ways. You can click on the program name to highlight it, and press &quot;delete&quot; on your keyboard, and answer &quot;yes&quot; to the confirmation. Or you can right-click the name and select &quot;remove&quot; in the popup box. Reboot.

This should &quot;reset&quot; the permissions for the two programs.

BTW, you report above in your first post that you've given your email programs &quot;server&quot; permission. I doubt that they need server permission at all, but certainly shouldn't need &quot;internet server&quot; permission, which lowers your protection and is dangerous.

Please post back on the results. Good luck.

Message Edited by Critterjoe on 02-21-200710:57 PM

Software Version:6.1

mikerain Guest

<blockquote><hr>Critterjoe wrote:
    <blockquote>Go to ZA's Program Control list and remove the entries for Internet Explorer and Outlook Express. I guess you could remove the entry for Thunderbird, too, if you want. Reboot. The next time you launch those programs, ZA will put them back into the Program List and ask you if you want them to access the internet. Check the configurations in the program list to see they are like you want.</blockquote><hr>

Thanks Critterjoe,

I did as you suggest, but it didn't work. After removing the program entries for IE, OE, and Thunderbird and rebooting, I fired up OE and clicked Send and Receive. OE said it was checking for incoming messages. And checking, and checking... ZA didn't pop up the dialog asking if it was OK to allow OE to access the internet. I looked at ZA's program permissions and OE had the proper permissions, including a trust level of III.

I finally tried to close OE by clicking the X. It then said &quot;(not responding)&quot; in the window title. I tried using Task Manager to shut down OE, and even that didn't kill it. I tried to restart the computer from Task Mgr and that failed. I finally had to press the computer's reset button.

I guess my next step is to uninstall ZA and then reinstall it.

- Mike</blockquote>

critterjoe Guest

I did as you suggest, but it didn't work. After removing the program entries for IE, OE, and Thunderbird and rebooting, I fired up OE and clicked Send and Receive. OE said it was checking for incoming messages. And checking, and checking... ZA didn't pop up the dialog asking if it was OK to allow OE to access the internet. I looked at ZA's program permissions and OE had the proper permissions, including a trust level of III.

I finally tried to close OE by clicking the X. It then said &quot;(not responding)&quot; in the window title. I tried using Task Manager to shut down OE, and even that didn't kill it. I tried to restart the computer from Task Mgr and that failed. I finally had to press the computer's reset button.

I guess my next step is to uninstall ZA and then reinstall it.

- Mike</blockquote>
    <hr>

Hi, Mike:
    Sorry you're still having problems. Before doing an uninstall, you might try resetting the full ZA database. It's relatively quick and easy. Do you know how? I'll print it here anyway just in case, in the interest of time.

Remember, a database reset will erase all program permissions, firewall settings, preferences, and program options, etc. It sort of returns the Control Panel to a &quot;virgin state&quot; like after a fresh install. So you will have to configure all your security settings over, but it's still faster than an uninstall/reinstall in which files might get corrupted or other problems could crop up.

I always unplug from the internet first; it may or may not be necessary, but I'm kinda paranoid I guess .

1) Reboot into Safe Mode (tap F8 key a couple times during the earliest phase of bootup before Windows starts; from the menu select Safe Mode)
    2) Locate the folder C:\windows\internet logs.
    3 Delete two files: iamdb.rdb and backup.rdb (these will be rebuilt on next bootup)
    4) Empty the recycle bin.
    5) Boot up into normal mode.
    6) Open the ZA control panel and put a checkmark back in &quot;Load ZA at startup&quot; (The reset will have removed it.)
    7) Look through all the ZA control panel screens and reconfigure your preferences/options back like you want
    8) Hook back up the internet.

ZA will now identify your network as a &quot;New Network&quot; and ask you what zone you want it in, etc. If you had any manual additions into your Firewall Zones previously, you'll have to add them back. Especially if you had &quot;loopback adapter&quot; 127.0.0.1, which is placed into the Trusted zone by default at installation, but after a database reset it is no longer there, and has to be replaced manually if you desire.

Good luck!

TIP: If everything works OK, once you have all your program permissions optimized, save your settings using OVERVIEW|PREFERENCES backup tab. This saves your settings to an XML file. If you develop any troubles later on, you can use the &quot;restore&quot; button to go back to your last-saved state. Periodically update the &quot;backup&quot; as you add new programs and permission changes, etc.

Message Edited by Critterjoe on 02-22-200709:16 PM

Software Version:6.1

mikerain Guest

Delete two files: iamdb.rdb and backup.rdb (these will be rebuilt on next bootup)
    </blockquote><hr>

Hey Critterjoe, thanks for the new instructions.

I saw similar instructions here:
    http://www2.nohold.net/noHoldCust542...rruptlogs.html
    which say to delete all *.RDB, *.LDB, and *.TMP.

In my case, I have a file called (my computer name).ldb. Should I delete that in addition to iamdb.rdb and backup.rdb?

Thanks,
    - Mike

critterjoe Guest

Delete two files: iamdb.rdb and backup.rdb (these will be rebuilt on next bootup)
    </blockquote><hr>

Hey Critterjoe, thanks for the new instructions.

I saw similar instructions here:
    http://www2.nohold.net/noHoldCust542...rruptlogs.html
    which say to delete all *.RDB, *.LDB, and *.TMP.

In my case, I have a file called (my computer name).ldb. Should I delete that in addition to iamdb.rdb and backup.rdb?

Thanks,
    - Mike
    <hr></blockquote>

For a simple database reset, one doesn't necessarily have to delete the .ldb file, but it won't hurt. It, like the .rdb files, can only be deleted in Safe Mode. It is recommended to delete the .LDB file when someone forgets their password so it shouldn't hurt here.

As I understand it, the iamdb.rdb and backup.rdb contain all your ZA settings, and during each ZA session, the .ldb file (the first part of which is the name of your computer, such as MYCOMP.LDB) is a locking database file that uses the info contained in the .RDB file, so in my understanding, resetting the iamdb.rdb should reset the .ldb file, too, but if there's a question of corruption can't hurt to delete it, and it's easy enough to do while there. If you want, you could, before deleting, copy it to another location (different folder) somewhere on your drive and name it &quot;mycomp.OLD&quot; or something. But I don't know if that's such a good idea though, since if you restore it, it may or may not sync back in with iamdb.rdb correctly (unless you saved both and restored both). If it were me, I'd just delete the 3 files and not worry about it

Here is Guru BillC's list of all file types in the Internet Logs file and what can be safely deleted. As Bill states at the bottom of the list, the .LDB (and some other files) &quot;cannot be removed&quot;, he means they are locked and can't be removed in Normal Mode, but can in Safe Mode because ZA should not be running.

http://forums.zonelabs.com/zonelabs/...ssage.id=32787

Good luck!

Message Edited by Critterjoe on 02-22-200709:54 PM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information