Acer Aspire M3100 Vista Home Premium Service Pack 1
    AMD Athlon 64 x 2 dual core processor 5600+ 2.80 GHz, 32 Bit
    RAM: 3.00 GB
    ZoneAlarm Free 8
    AVG Anti-Virus Free 8
    SpyBot Search & Destroy w/Tea Timer
    Ad-Aware Free 8

Background:
    I upgraded from ZA version 7 to 8 on or about January 15, 2009. I was having major problems upgrading and came here for help:
    http://forums.zonealarm.org/zonelabs...d=54797#M54797

The problem:
    Since upgrading, Firefox would stop responding after a few hours. I thought this was a Firefox issue and went to their forum for help. Nothing came of it after disabling add-ons and what not, so I installed Opera and Chrome and temporarily stopped using Firefox. It wasn't long (a few hours) when all browsers would stop responding. Going to their forums, I still was not able to resolve the issue. I did several ping tests (0 lost), updated my network controller, scanned for viruses and adware, updated all my programs, called my internet company who said the router is up to date.

When I disconnected Vista from the router and connected XP to the router, I tested whether browsers stopped responding. After two days of testing, the browsers had no problem. XP SP3 also has ZoneAlarm 8, SpyBot, AVG, Ad-Aware.

When the browsers in Vista fail, I see messages such as the two below when attempting to go to any website:
    1) This webpage is not available. The webpage at ... might be temporarily down or it may have moved permantently to a new web address.
    2) Error! Could not connect to remote server. You tried to access the address ... which is currently unavailable. Please make sure that the Web address (URL) is correctly spelled and punctuated, then try reloading the page. Make sure your internet connection is active and check whether other applications that rely on the same connection are working.

The Goober chat program still worked when the browsers were down. Goober uses a different port.

The only way to make the browsers work again is to shut down and reboot. This gets old after 3-4 times a day.

So I've narrowed it down to Vista being part of the problem, and possibly Zone Alarm contributing to the problem.

Questions: How do I tell if Zone Alarm could be blocking my internet? And if internet is blocked, why does it work for a few hours then suddenly quit?

I've seen other reports on this forum where programs/internet fails after inactivity. My problem is different because I'm actively using the computer when internet goes out. The computer goes black after inactivity of over an hour and stays that way all night. When I jiggle the mouse to restart it in the morning, internet is working fine until a few hours later.

Someone at the Opera forum suggested removing Zone Alarm: http://my.opera.com/community/forums...comment2889735
    I'd rather keep Zone Alarm because it worked good until recently. Maybe someone at Zone Alarm should be checking into this problem.

Thanks

Operating System:Windows Vista Home Premium
    Software Version:8.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

Default Re: ZoneAlarm Free 8.0 may be causing my browsers to stop responding

<blockquote><hr>Stencil wrote:
    Here's what I've got:

ZoneAlarm Free version 8.0.065.000
    TrueVector security engine version 8.0.065.000
    Driver version 8.0.065.000
    Acer Aspire M3100 Vista Home Premium Service Pack 1
    AMD Athlon 64 x 2 dual core processor 5600+ 2.80 GHz, 32 Bit
    ZoneAlarm Free 8
    AVG Anti-Virus Free 8
    SpyBot Search & Destroy w/Tea Timer
    Ad-Aware Free 8

Background:
    I upgraded from ZA version 7 to 8 on or about January 15, 2009. I was having major problems upgrading and came here for help:
    http://forums.zonealarm.org/zonelabs...d=54797#M54797

The problem:
    Since upgrading, Firefox would stop responding after a few hours. I thought this was a Firefox issue and went to their forum for help. Nothing came of it after disabling add-ons and what not, so I installed Opera and Chrome and temporarily stopped using Firefox. It wasn't long (a few hours) when all browsers would stop responding. Going to their forums, I still was not able to resolve the issue. I did several ping tests (0 lost), updated my network controller, scanned for viruses and adware, updated all my programs, called my internet company who said the router is up to date.

When I disconnected Vista from the router and connected XP to the router, I tested whether browsers stopped responding. After two days of testing, the browsers had no problem. XP SP3 also has ZoneAlarm 8, SpyBot, AVG, Ad-Aware.

When the browsers in Vista fail, I see messages such as the two below when attempting to go to any website:
    1) This webpage is not available. The webpage at ... might be temporarily down or it may have moved permantently to a new web address.
    2) Error! Could not connect to remote server. You tried to access the address ... which is currently unavailable. Please make sure that the Web address (URL) is correctly spelled and punctuated, then try reloading the page. Make sure your internet connection is active and check whether other applications that rely on the same connection are working.

The Goober chat program still worked when the browsers were down. Goober uses a different port.

The only way to make the browsers work again is to shut down and reboot. This gets old after 3-4 times a day.

So I've narrowed it down to Vista being part of the problem, and possibly Zone Alarm contributing to the problem.

Questions: How do I tell if Zone Alarm could be blocking my internet? And if internet is blocked, why does it work for a few hours then suddenly quit?

I've seen other reports on this forum where programs/internet fails after inactivity. My problem is different because I'm actively using the computer when internet goes out. The computer goes black after inactivity of over an hour and stays that way all night. When I jiggle the mouse to restart it in the morning, internet is working fine until a few hours later.

Someone at the Opera forum suggested removing Zone Alarm: http://my.opera.com/community/forums...comment2889735
    I'd rather keep Zone Alarm because it worked good until recently. Maybe someone at Zone Alarm should be checking into this problem.

Thanks

Operating System:
    Windows Vista Home Premium
    Software Version:
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm (Free)

<hr></blockquote>
    The events described in the mentioned Opera thread I have seen myself.
    The ZA and the Opera are butting heads - the ZA is controlling and the Opera does not give up.
    The result is as decribed in the Opera thread - Opera locks up and can not be closed either in the task manager or in the Opera itself.

When this event happens just close the ZA and then the Opera is closeable.
    Simple to remedy - just close the ZA and the Opera is then controllable.
    (hopefully there is a hardware firewall such as a router or nat enabled dsl modem in front to still provide protection)

Usually the Opera is misconfigured in the ZA and if it seen by the ZA as doing some action not allowed, the ZA will attempt to stop the Opera while at the same time Opera will continue to try to do what it was doing.
    I have seen this often in the Opera 9.2 (oddly enough the 9.1 was better then 9.2 in my experiences) and in the Opera 9.5.
    However have yet to see in the Opera 9.6x versions.

Opera or Firefox when upgrading should be removed from the ZA's program listing and then the first instance of opening the new browser, the ZA will see the new file (and the old file is removed and then disregarded).
    Also often the Program Control slider in the ZA can be an issue - if the previous events did not include some new event AND the program control slider is at the high level or settings, then the new and unseen events will be blocked.
    Usually if the browsers get locked up OR is installing new programs OR updating the windows, then always pre-set the ZA program slider to the middle level (not the highest level). This way the ZA gets trained to the new events and newer programs.

Also at fault could be the default settings of the ZA for the dns and dhcp and loopback addresses in the Zones of the Firewall of the ZA. Make sure these are included and listed as Trusted.

Also make sure the windows firewall of the Vista is turned off not just by itself but also in the services.

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

stencil Guest

Thanks for your reply, Oldsod.

I'm seeing butting heads with 4 browsers (Opera, Firefox, Chrome, Internet Explorer). This started after an upgrade to ZoneAlarm 8.
    I closed Zone Alarm and opened the Windows firewall, but that didn't help restore the browsers. After Firefox fails, it often can't be restarted after closing it. When I try to reopen it, it says there are other instances running and I should close those or restart the computer. The only think that cleared the problem was restarting the computer.

So you're thinking that all my browsers are misconfigured in ZA?

You said &quot;Opera or Firefox when upgrading should be removed from the ZA's program listing and then the first instance of opening the new browser, the ZA will see the new file (and the old file is removed and then disregarded).&quot;

Do you mean I should be removing them, or the upgrade should be doing this behind the scenes?

How do I remove the browsers from ZA's program listing?
    Under Program Controls &gt; Programs, I see Firefox, Google Chrome, 2 Internet Explorers, and Opera Internet Browser.
    Would I right click and &quot;Remove&quot;?
    Would I remove these while the browsers are closed or open?

Under Program Controls &gt; Main, the Program Control slider was already at Medium. What do you mean by &quot;always pre-set the ZA program slide to the middle level&quot;? Once it's at the Medium level, doesn't it stay there? Or do I have to go in there more often to see if it's at Medium?

You said, &quot;Also at fault could be the default settings of the ZA for the dns and dhcp and loopback addresses in the Zones of the Firewall of the ZA. Make sure these are included and listed as Trusted.&quot;

Is that under Firewall &gt; Zones? I see the DNS Server and DHCP Server (IP Address) are in the Trusted Zone. I don't know what Loopback is. But the other item on that page is the Ethernet Controller (Adapter Subnet) in the Internet Zone. Should the Ethernet Controller be in the Trusted Zone instead of Internet Zone?

Windows Firewall is turned off.

I'm hoping you'll explain in more detail what I should do.
    Thanks.

Close the browsers after they are installed, upgraded (either manually or through themselves, open the ZA open the Program listing and remove the browser's program listing.
    Close the ZA and turn it off.
    Restart the ZA, wait a minute then open the browser.
    The ZA will have a new alert for now Asking for the browser's access and permissions. Yes all and use Always.

But before doing this, make sure the Program Control slider is set to the Medium level!

Extra for the ZA Pro versions ... after this is finsished, then open the ZA Programs, right click the browser file in the list, open the Options, check the first two items listed and Apply and OK.
    This will give more network and component rights and control to the individual browser(s).

The loop-back address is 127.0.0.1 - this should definitely be included as Trusted in the Zones of the Firewall of the ZoneAlarm.

"Should the Ethernet Controller be in the Trusted Zone instead of Internet Zone?"
    ONLY if the computer is in an untrusted network such as public wifi or public library or in a public access point such as in a hotel or restaurant.
    OTHERWISE it should always be set as Trusted - such as at home or in a secure business network.

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

thedudeman Guest

I have exactly the same problem with intermittent web lock outs and I know what you mean about it getting old after the 3-4 time a day. As a web developer its a complete nightmare! After using the internet for a bit sometimes 10 mins sometimes an hour - all browsers updated or not, added to ZA program list before or after the net stops working, just stop working - IE7, IE8 standalone, FF2, FF3 standalone, Chrome, Safari windows, Opera etc :0). My outlook, Warcraft, newsleecher, utorrent all continue to work as normal though. This was happening on my old install of VISTA, but now i have reinstalled vista fresh and it still keeps doing it. It also seems as though a lot of other people have this issue as well and it seems that thr problem mainly occurs with VISTA

see http://winvistaforums.com/windows-vi...r-while-9.html - a guy halfway down says uninstalling ZA fixed it for him

However, I am not blaming Zonealarm as i think its probably microsoft's fault with an update clash or something

see http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/...cle4304820.ece for a portential fix) though i dont really want to unistall a ms update if it leaves my pc vunerable!

So there is also a chance it may be AVG 8 free that is causing the problem if you are using that.

But thank you for the info regarding ZA itself. my ZA is always on medium anyway and I have now made sure windows firewall service is completely disabled and i have added 127.0.0.1 ip to trusted zone and my current pc ip to the trusted zone. I will see if that fixes the problem. If not then i will nee to uninstall ZA to see if that fixes the problem. And if that doesn't I shall try unistalling AVG separately as well.

I shall keep you guys posted with my findings, and maybe more people will find this thread and the other and everyone can knock heads together to figure it out

Extra - just in the time it took me to type this message it did it again!!!! :0( I'm getting used to copying every form i fill in to clipboard before submitting now thats for sure lol

Oh forgot to add my setup is as follows:

ZoneAlarm Free version 8.0.065.000
    TrueVector security engine version 8.0.065.000
    Driver version 8.0.065.000
    Philips PC (forget model name/number) Vista Ultimate SP 1
    Intel Quad Core 2.40 GHz, 32 bit
    AVG Anti-Virus Free 8.0.233
    Javacool SpywareGuard
    Javacool SpywareBlaster

Message Edited by Thedudeman on 02-09-2009 08:11 AM

<blockquote><hr>Thedudeman wrote:
    I have exactly the same problem with intermittent web lock outs and I know what you mean about it getting old after the 3-4 time a day. As a web developer its a complete nightmare! After using the internet for a bit sometimes 10 mins sometimes an hour - all browsers updated or not, added to ZA program list before or after the net stops working, just stop working - IE7, IE8 standalone, FF2, FF3 standalone, Chrome, Safari windows, Opera etc :0). My outlook, Warcraft, newsleecher, utorrent all continue to work as normal though. This was happening on my old install of VISTA, but now i have reinstalled vista fresh and it still keeps doing it. It also seems as though a lot of other people have this issue as well and it seems that thr problem mainly occurs with VISTA

see http://winvistaforums.com/windows-vi...r-while-9.html - a guy halfway down says uninstalling ZA fixed it for him

However, I am not blaming Zonealarm as i think its probably microsoft's fault with an update clash or something

see http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/...cle4304820.ece for a portential fix) though i dont really want to unistall a ms update if it leaves my pc vunerable!

So there is also a chance it may be AVG 8 free that is causing the problem if you are using that.

But thank you for the info regarding ZA itself. my ZA is always on medium anyway and I have now made sure windows firewall service is completely disabled and i have added 127.0.0.1 ip to trusted zone and my current pc ip to the trusted zone. I will see if that fixes the problem. If not then i will nee to uninstall ZA to see if that fixes the problem. And if that doesn't I shall try unistalling AVG separately as well.

I shall keep you guys posted with my findings, and maybe more people will find this thread and the other and everyone can knock heads together to figure it out

Extra - just in the time it took me to type this message it did it again!!!! :0( I'm getting used to copying every form i fill in to clipboard before submitting now thats for sure lol
    <hr></blockquote>

This thread discusses the Vista SP1 and the Service Pack 2 for Vista fixed many of the earlier issues that Vista was experiencing.

http://winvistaforums.com/windows-vi...r-while-9.html

Your windows is using SP2?

This article does not apply ...http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/...cle4304820.ece... as ZoneLabs immediately issued a new version to remedy this problem.
    The MS update should not be a problem.

You are using the ZA Free or Pro??
    Your dns servers are entered as Trusted into the Zones of the Firewall of the ZoneAlarm?
    The ethernet adapter or the regularly used dhcp is entered as Trusted into the Zones of the Firewall of the ZoneAlarm?

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

thedudeman Guest

Wow, thanks for the swift reply! Muchly appreciated as I was not expecting one so quickly.

In answer to your questions:

I am using Service Pack 1 as I do not wish to install Service Pack 2 while it is still in Beta as I have heard that it causes more problems than it fixes at the moment. On a side note though, I kind of see Vista as a beta in itself anyway hehe.

I use Zone Alarm Free as it is more than adequate for my needs and until recently has been great.

I use a WLAN connection to the internet so my router IP is in trusted zone, DNS is in trusted zone, my PC manually entered ip on ipv4 is in the trusted zone and my localhost 127.0.0.1 is in the trusted zone.

My program control is on MEDIUM and automatic lock is set to OFF

My internet zone security is set to HIGH and trusted zone security is set to MEDIUM - which is what i have always had in the past

Also on another note, when the internet stops working, I can still ping the ip addresses of sites ok. And when it stops connecting, i can't even connect to my router web interface through the web browser.

Thanks again for your time

thedudeman Guest

Ok so update, I may be calling this early but its been working without a problem all day

I shall post again in a couple of days or if it breaks again, but it seems as though something oldsod suggested that i changed has done the trick!

Fingers crossed :0)

OKay maybe it is fixed.
    But also consider the other security applications such as the antivirus and antispyware running along side of the ZA - if any of these do any kind of cookie or site blocking, scripts or web content filtering, port control or worm intrusion control, IM or Email filtering, phishing filters, etc these can interfere with the software firewall and with the browser regular connections.

Best regards.
    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

stencil Guest

Oldsod,

I'd like a few more details please.

1) You wrote: &quot;Close the browsers after they are installed, upgraded (either manually or through themselves, open the ZA open the Program listing and remove the browser's program listing.&quot;
    Question: Do I need to wait until a browser has an update/upgrade, or can I remove them from Program Control &gt; Programs (right-click &quot;remove&quot at any time, such as now?

2) You wrote: &quot;Close the ZA and turn it off.&quot;
    Question: To close ZA, I'd right click the icon in the lower right corner toolbar, then click &quot;Shut down Zone Alarm&quot;?

3) &quot;Restart the ZA, wait a minute then open the browser. The ZA will have a new alert for now Asking for the browser's access and permissions. Yes all and use Always.&quot;
    Question: During the time ZA is shut down, and before I restart, is my computer safe? Will Windows' firewall take over automatically?

4) &quot;The loop-back address is 127.0.0.1 - this should definitely be included as Trusted in the Zones of the Firewall of the ZoneAlarm.&quot;
    Question: Under Firewall &gt; Zones, I see 3 things (all are in the Trusted Zone): Ethernet Controller, DHCP Server, DNS Server. So to add the loop-back, what are the steps?
    Click &quot;Add&quot; - then what's next. I see 4 choices: Host/Site, IP Address, IP Range, Subnet. Would I give this the name &quot;Loopback&quot;?

Thanks for you help

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information