Thread: Repeated address blocked

curlyjon Guest

Default Repeated address blocked

I keep getting a warning that "ZA ISS blocked NetBIOS 169.254.055.019 (TCP Port xxxx) TCP Flag S". The port number varies, and I get a new warning about every 30 seconds to one minute. I suspect that address is part of my network, but I cannot figure out what. The More Info button yields a blank page that hangs about 1/2 way through loading. My network is three Win XP Pro systems, D-Link router and a network printer/scanner/fax (Brother MFC610CN).Should I add this address to my trusted list, or is it an intruder?
    Thanks,

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:7.0

Default Re: Repeated address blocked

Hi

This is a local address and not internet. Nobody is attacking you.

Defined as LinkLocal by IANA...

http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/whois....69.254.055.019

A quick run down of LinkLocal by Microsoft, starting with Wins ME...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307287

Basically it is a UPnP address and often Windows will assume an address from the range of 169.254.0.0 to 169.254.255.255 as a default "can't find an address, but I need to have one, so I picked one that is harmless and hopefully it will work (never does)"

Turn off the BIOS attacks/warnings in the Alerts in the Alerts and Logs. No harm in doing so, since the router is in front with a SPI/NAT firewall and protecting the LAN. With your D-Link router, there should be no intrusions seen by the ZA, since the LAN is completely stealthed (or should be).

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

curlyjon Guest

Default Re: Repeated address blocked

Thanks, oldsod,I suspected as much, but I wanted to be sure what was going on.

Thread Information