Thread: Zonealarm Pro 7 and network games problem

Hybrid View

romana Guest

Default Zonealarm Pro 7 and network games problem

I have a problem with zonealarm 7 pro, network games like battlefield 2 and steam games like Counter-Strike and Half-life 2 deathmatch has some serious lag. for example, when viewing netgraph in HL2M it shows a lot of LOSS and CHOKE. This is Zonealarm problem because, when I tried **bleep** firewall, everything worked fine.. I like zonealarm better, so I hope I can solve this problem

I use AOL active antivirus and windows defender. I have just reinstalled windows so do not suggest that
    btw, english is not my native language, so forgive me my spelling.

Operating System: Windows XP Pro
    Product Name: ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version: 7.0

edit:
    And yes I have used "game mode" and without it.

Message Edited by romana on 03-01-200712:19 PM

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:7.0

naivemelody Guest

Default Re: Zonealarm Pro 7 and network games problem

<a target="_blank"></a>6. How does ZoneAlarm affect gaming?

Attending a LAN party or playing a game that is connected online? Although standalone games rarely create issues with ZoneAlarm, the new generation of connected games may attempt to open lines of communications with other PCs on your LAN or on the Internet. Since these connections are similar to the communication that Trojan Horses or other malware often attempt, they may not be allowed by ZoneAlarm. If you're connected to a LAN where you know the other players, you can add that LAN to your &quot;Trusted Zone&quot; and use a lower level of security. Alternately, review the user manual for your game and determine what ports need to be opened. Then, use the &quot;Expert Rules&quot; in paid versions of ZoneAlarm to allow the required communication.<hr>13. When should I give a program &quot;server rights&quot; and when should I deny a program server rights?

You may receive some alerts asking you if a certain program should act as a server and be given &quot;server rights&quot;. We recommend that you not give any program server rights unless one of the following is true for you:<ul>[*]You are hosting a Web site on your computer[*]You are sharing files with another person(s)[*]You are playing games that require point-to-point connections with other players across the Internet[/list]

If any of these situations apply to you, then you should give programs for the activity server rights. If none of the above examples applies to you, it is not recommended that you allow any program to have server rights. Allowing a program to have server rights means that an outside connection can access your computer through that program.

At any time in the future, you can always change the setting of the program to give it &quot;server rights&quot; by going to Program Control (left-hand column) &gt; select the Programs tab &gt; highlight the program you wish to give &quot;server rights&quot; &gt; click on the &quot;X&quot; under &quot;Server&quot; and click &quot;Allow&quot; in the little box that pops up.<hr>I have provided you with the Official Users Guide - big PDF files - uses Adobe - click on the right version - once you have the guide check in the back - index - there are several sections dealing with 'games ',
    'server - settings'
    - http://www.zonelabs.com/store/conten...amp;lid=ps_zap
    . So when your playing your games, open half of your pc screen to the ZA program control - see what program are active and needs - 3 green bars and green checks all the way thru except for ' ? ' = Mail. Check Windows Defender, in it's alerts/logs and make sure Defender is not preventing/blocking any of programs you need for the games; do the same for the AOL antivirus.If you have a friend who is more of a pc expert, you can get more help/advice.
    NaiveMelody NYC 3-2-07~12:33am e.s.t. - Tubthumping - Chumbawamba

http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...essage.id=8867

Oldsod

BTW Do not forget about about the game mode in the double click of the ZA icon in the tray.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

romana Guest

Thanks for the answers, I'll try them and report back for results.

Thread Information