Thread: Why is it Necessary to Add DNS/DHCP to the Trusted Zone?

cirs Guest

Default Why is it Necessary to Add DNS/DHCP to the Trusted Zone?

Hi, Im a new Zonealarm user. I installed the free version 2 days ok. So far I havnt had any problems but Im just trying to make sure I have it configured correctly.

Ive seen advice in other posts which says I need to add the DNS and DHCP addresses to my trusted zone. Why is this necessary? I havnt done this yet but I dont seem to be having any problems, not that I know of anyway!

I did receive an alert saying that Zonealarm had blocked G.H.P. for Win32 services from accessing a DNS server. What are the consequences of this? I havnt noticed anything serious?

Cheers for the help.

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)
    Software Version:6.5

Default Re: Why is it Necessary to Add DNS/DHCP to the Trusted Zone?

Check this out and then reply with any further questions...

http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...essage.id=8962

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

cirs Guest

Thanks for the reply, appreciate it.

I've posted a screencap of my zones below. Have I set it up correctly? Should I set my wireless adapter to 'Trusted'?

Finally, is there anything else you would recommend adding to the trusted zones?

Thanks again for your help.

>

It will work the way it is set now.

"Have I set it up correctly? Should I set my wireless adapter to 'Trusted'?"

If the PC is a laptop or sektop is the question. The ZAFree will by default place all new networks as Trusted. Regardless of the type of network- wireless or wired. The ZA paid versions have an option to select whether the new networks are set as Trusted or DisTrusted and this options applies to wireless networks.

If the PC's adapters are MAC'ed to the router and these ones only (plus the other adapters on your home LAN), and either WEP or WPA is used, then the wireless connection could be left at the Trusted Setting. But it is not required. The chief concern for the home wireless network, which could be snooped or attacked by wardrivers or by warring neighbors. Security for wireless is more of a concern than the wired betwork.

The wired ethernet adapter itself could be set as 192.168.1.0 with the subnet, instead of 0.0.0.0

Anything to add to the Zones, would be the IP(s) of the other PC/laptop/printer/scanner/video game on the home LAN. Including their individual IP(s) in the Zones would eliminate intrusion alerts and help with the sharing of the PC.

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information