Thread: Set your software to allow referring URLs to be sent to all sites

hankmorris Guest

Default Set your software to allow referring URLs to be sent to all sites

My library allows me to use many on-line databases. That is, if I can access them.
    I contacted them for information about why I wasn't able to do this.
    They provided the following information:
    1. If you are using a stand-alone software security program that includes privacy protection (for example, Norton Internet Security, Norton Personal Firewall, ZoneAlarmPro), you will need to adjust the privacy settings to allow referring URLs (called "information about visited sites" by Norton, "private header information" by ZoneAlarmPro) to be sent to our database providers. A few options for this are:

a. Temporarily disable the privacy features while you are using our databases. (Note that this must be done each time.)

b. Set your software to allow referring URLs to be sent to all sites.

c. Set your software to allow referring URLs to be sent to the domains of our database providers. Those domains are (as of June 2006):

anb.org
    ap.org
    epnet.com
    fofweb.com
    galegroup.com
    grolier.com
    heritagequestonline.com
    learningexpresslibrary.com
    oclc.org
    oed.com
    umi.com
    worldbookonline.com

I haven't a clue how to do this. None of the terms in the help file sound like anything mentioned above.

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:6.5

spperan Guest

Default Re: Set your software to allow referring URLs to be sent to all sites

To do c. (you may need to be connected to the internet while you do this):

Go to your Privacy Tab, choose the Site List tab and ADD each site the library gave you.

Right-Click on each site, in turn, and choose OPTIONS. Set the options so that referring is permitted. I'm not sure, but I think you do this by allowing private headers to be sent (in the Cookies tab) and allowing popups and maybe even banners (in the Ad-Blocking tab).

Hope this helps.

Thread Information