Thread: Stanby prevents internet access, problem re DHCP and DNS

jonathanz Guest

Default Stanby prevents internet access, problem re DHCP and DNS

I've done a search and found suggestions for adding DHCP and DNS ip addresses to the trusted zone.
    However, my notebook is behind a wireless router and when I do an ipconfig/all the DCHP and DNS addresses is also the wireless router address.

So, if I add that address to the trusted zone will that not also then allow ALL internet trafic through Zone Alarm and thus eliminating zonealarm as an effective firewall?

BTW, I have tested that it is Zonealarm preventing my access because when it is removed I can access the internet from the affected notebook.

Thanks in advance!

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)
    Software Version:7.0

Default Re: Stanby prevents internet access, problem re DHCP and DNS

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>JonathanZ wrote:
    So, if I add that address to the trusted zone will that not also then allow ALL internet trafic through Zone Alarm and thus eliminating zonealarm as an effective firewall?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>No, not at all... there is no way that an internal IP is used... you can add your router to the trusted zone or better you can add all your internal network to the trusted zone (unless you share the wireless router with other unknown systems)... something like 192.168.1.0 /255.255.255.0 --&gt; TrustedI would recommendto change the default router password and using a strong encryptionfor your WIFI connection (ie. WPA/WPA2). WPA password more than 20 random characters / numbers (simple passwords with less than 20 characters have already been cracked with brute force).Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

jonathanz Guest

&quot;there is no way that an internal IP is used&quot;
    Could you explain what you mean?
    I think the issue is that I'm not knowledgeable enough on how the router passes internet connections to a given mac address on the network.
    I had assumed that the router address would be the address that packets are sent to.
    Does the router instead use a different address for internet connections or a different address for each computer/mac address it communicates with?
    Thanks!

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>JonathanZ wrote:
    "there is no way that an internal IP is used"I had assumed that the router address would be the address that packets are sent to.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Hi!no, the packets are sent to your real IP (see the number via IPCONFIG /all), your router then translate them (NAT) to be used in your LAN. So the routerIP (192.168.X.X) is different from your real IP, the router IP and your machine IPare just internal, reserved and there is no way that a PC can use that IP and enter in your system...You can find more info on NAThere: http://computer.howstuffworks.com/nat.htmOr Here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network...ss_translationOr just goggle it...Hope this helpsFaxP.S. having said this, its much more important you protect you router from chnages... and protect your wireless line by encryption.

jonathanz Guest

I'll look up NAT.
    I didn't miss your points on router security.
    I implemented those and other security measures when I first installed it.

Thanks again.
    Jonathan

You're welcome :8}Fax

Thread Information