Thread: Synchronize with a time server stopped working after installing ZAISS 7.

wstern Guest

Default Synchronize with a time server stopped working after installing ZAISS 7.

Hi,

If you have admin rights, and double click on the clock on the lower right hand part of the taskbar, and then click on the internet time tab, you'll notice that Windows XP by default is setup to synchronize your PC's clock with the time server time.windows.com every week. You can also press the update button to update on demand.

The problem is that this feature is being blocked by ZAISS 7. I set up an expert rule to try to fix this,
    by allowing My Computer's port 123 to have outgoing access to host name: time.windows.com using UDP protocol.
    But the time update is still being blocked by ZAISS 7. My assumption is that I need to add more expert rules,
    perhaps to enable network time protocol (NTP).

Could anyone tell me the exact expert rule(s) needed to unblock the automatic Windows time syncronization?

Bill

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:7.0

jdoliver Guest

Default Re: Synchronize with a time server stopped working after installing ZAISS 7.

Use the firewall/zones panel. Add time.windows.com as a host/site to the trusted zone.

wstern Guest

Default Re: Synchronize with a time server stopped working after installing ZAISS 7.

Yes, I thought of that - but I was concerned that that solution would less secure.
    A more secure solution might be to add expert rules with an exact port number and network protocol.

unclebuck Guest

I tried adding time.windows.com to the trusted zone. I got the following error message when I tried to update the time: "An error occurred while Windows was synchronizing with time.windows.com. The time sample was rejected because: The peer's stratum is less than the host's stratum."

BTW, I'm running ver#6.5.737.00

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Thread Information