Thread: Unable to use a game feature.

narcangel Guest

Default Unable to use a game feature.

Ok... I have tried pretty everything I can but it all leads to a failure.

ZA, any version 6.x and up.

Any OS, Win2k, XP

Any web browser.

All the same result, ZA is blocking something and I cannot find anywhere in the log it blocked something eventhough it did because if I shut ZA down, I can access the feature again.

My problem is this:

Go to www.runescape.com

Press on PLAY RUNESCAPE (existing user), don't worry you won't have to have an account to see the problem.

Chose High Detail

Chose any world, doesn't really matter which one as long as it's not full, any world will do.

Now wait, the game will load up, start it's engine.

In the log-in page, this is where my darn problem is. Look at the lower left corner of the page, you will see a small grey button it states the current world you are in "World xxx" is written below that is "Click to switch".

There exactly where my problem is, no matter how much clicking I do, nothing happens.

I install a fresh version of ZA, no previous settings, nothing I can do, the problem is that it will just say it's loading and eventually time out.

If I shut down ZA, wham! The second I press on this button, I get a list of worlds.

So people.. can anyone of you tell me what in heaven's name is going on here?

naivemelody Guest

Default Re: Unable to use a game feature.

Well you can try to set the firewall settings "trusted zone security"
    to medium, have the programs that are involved with your gaming set with Super trust level= three bars, >Access - two green checks, and just a few of the direct programs involved with gaming with> one green check in Server -'trust' /
    - ? - or green check for internet,
    -? - for mail. How do you
    find out what programs are involved with gaming? Open up your ZA program control board to half your screen, ok, something smaller but big enough so you can see the green dots appear
    in the Active column when you start playing, then re-set as prescribed; and remember after you finish playing, you can re-set them back to more restrictive settings, yes. Also, make sure your familar with all the settings for Game Mode - please right click your ZA icon in the system tray &gt; click Help &gt; Click Index &gt; look for Game Mode and games &gt; and read thoroughly, especially - games /using with Zone Labs security software.<hr>Make sure all of the following Programs have Trusted and Internet access (Green Check Marks):
    a.) All Microsoft wand Windows Programs have Green Check marks for Trusted and Internet Access..b.) Generic Host Process for win32 Services (svchost.exe)c.) IE Crash Detectiond.) Internet Explorer - (use this instead of Firefox)e.) Malicious Software Removal Toolf.) True Vector Service
    (If it is listed)g.) Zone Alarm Clienth.) Zone Alarm Updating Clienti.) Your Email Client needs Trusted, Internet and Send Mail all need Green check Marks..<hr>13. When should I give a program &quot;server rights&quot; and when should I deny a program server rights?

You may receive some alerts asking you if a certain program should act as a server and be given &quot;server rights&quot;. We recommend that you not give any program server rights unless one of the following is true for you:<ul>[*]You are hosting a Web site on your computer[*]You are sharing files with another person(s)[*]You are playing games that require point-to-point connections with other players across the Internet[/list]

If any of these situations apply to you, then you should give programs for the activity server rights. If none of the above examples applies to you, it is not recommended that you allow any program to have server rights. Allowing a program to have server rights means that an outside connection can access your computer through that program.

At any time in the future, you can always change the setting of the program to give it &quot;server rights&quot; by going to Program Control (left-hand column) &gt; select the Programs tab &gt; highlight the program you wish to give &quot;server rights&quot; &gt; click on the &quot;X&quot; under &quot;Server&quot; and click &quot;Allow&quot; in the little box that pops up.<hr>Specifically - some of the programs that may need server rights are: some Instant Messaging
    services like 'Skype' , Messenger Live 8.1,Voice-over-Internet, etc. / on-line gaming - XBox live, Playstaion 2-3, RPG PC games, etc.
    / if you listen to or view certain
    -streaming audio/and or video programs - like listening to PC radio(AOL,Napster,etc.) Real Player, QuickTime ,Windows Media Player to listen to music or download and watch video / some Chat rooms / Web meeting...

One of the great things about ZoneAlarm firewalls, is the precise program control - that a user has - For instance if you play on-line video games - you have those programs with server rights - but when your not playing - you can reduce privileges- RED X server rights, and internet access - which stops any attempts by hackers to get in thru those programs that had previously been granted server rights=easy access.<hr>Back to basics: what is your pc set-up - what ZA product, what version -the one you use most while your trying to game,? firewall, anti-virus, anti-spyware?? when your not trying to game,how is your pc -working? accessing the net for other things? the website you are trying to use seems safe and it has
    a bit of third party cookies, maybe - 'allow' cookies, sometimes ZA anti-virus or other brands of av's will inhibit gaming, add the game/website to IE safe sites, better to use IE instead of Firefox,etc. Also, installing and deleting ZA and other software too many times, leaves remnants that can cause problems; try to stick to one kind of set-up. If your using ZA with &quot;Privacy Protection&quot; -adjustments: mobile code, ad-blocking, pop-up blocking, cookies, etc. Right click ZA system tray icon, click &quot;Help&quot; read chapters, sections on 'games',
    troubleshooting games, entire Privacy Protection, and any other applicable sections you can think of, that can relate to allowing games. Read lots, know more, better at getting to solution.:8}NaiveMelody NYC 4-12-07 - Vertigo -U2

Hi!just tested it, please go to the ZA privacy tab and turn OFF everything (i.e. cookies control, ad blocking and mobile control)Now refresh www.runescape.com in your browser and it will work...You may want to add to the ZA privacy "site list" all sites that are used by the game and customise them (this way you will avoid turning OFF all privacy features).To do the above you need to activate "privacy advisor" (go the privacy tab--&gt; main --&gt; cookies control section --&gt; custom --&gt; check "show privacy advisor")Now connect to the game and take note of the site(s)+what is blocked, go the privacy site list and allow everything for those sites. See here how to do it: http://zonealarm.donhoover.net/privacy.htmlUnder certain circumstances the customisation may not work, if this is the case then just do what suggested at thebeginning of this message and remember to set the privacy features back when finished to play....Fax

Message Edited by fax on 04-12-2007 04:46 AM

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

narcangel Guest

Alright, the second reply was right on the dime, I'm afraid the first reply was totally generic and useless as the person didn't even go to the site and gave me useless info for a problem which not mine at all.

Now, I tried to catch as many URL as I could, I'm afraid that, even trying to catch as many, putting them in my Site List didn't do the trick. But, if I do put Cookie bar on OFF and Ad Blocking bar on OFF, that does the trick.

So it's obvious now that for a brief split second, that button opens up a Ad somehow or something related to an Ad. I could still manage to use this button by doing this, it's somewhat of a pain to set it like that and reset the privacy setting after that but it's a workable solution. If could catch that address that it opens, that would probably do it.

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>NarcAngel wrote:
    So it's obvious now that for a brief split second, that button opens up a Ad somehow or something related to an Ad. I could still manage to use this button by doing this, it's somewhat of a pain to set it like that and reset the privacy setting after that but it's a workable solution. If could catch that address that it opens, that would probably do it.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Well, one option is to clean your ZA site list (remove all sites) then with the ad blocking and cookies option activated go thegame site...This way you will get a list of all sites (in the ZA sitelist) contacted by the web page....Also note that it is not enough to have green check mark on the sites listed, you need to use the "options" (right click on the site, choose "options", uncheck everything on the 3 tabs)See here: http://zonealarm.donhoover.net/privacy.htmlAlso note that the ZA privacy feature uses a script to perform the privacy settings on the page. &lt;script language='javascript' src='http://127.0.0.1:2192/js.cgi?pca&amp;r=16827'&gt;&lt;/script&gt;
    Now some sites have another script running on their pages. The function of this script is to count the number of scripts running on the page. If the privacy settings are on, then there is 1 more script running than should be, thus the page fails to load. The only way around this is to turn off the privacy settings in ZA. There is another possible answer. Contact the webmaster and let him know the situation. It is possible they can program around this. Hope this helps,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

narcangel Guest

Well, at least your solution works, if not on a permanent basis, it still works on a temp basis. Keep in mind this is a fresh install so the site list is pretty empty.

Thanks again for the head's up on the privacy work around tho

Thread Information