Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: All TCP/IP Connections unuseably slow

Default Re: All TCP/IP Connections unuseably slow

Basic netsh command to reset the tcp/ip...

Open the command
    Enter netsh winsock reset
    Press ENTER
    Restart your computer.

How to reset Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) in Windows XP

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357

In some case, uninstalling TCP/IP and reinstalling will do the same fix.

http://www.petri.co.il/reinstall_tcp...windows_xp.htm

A nifty and easy to use GUI software that easily does the repair and reset for users is this>

http://www.majorgeeks.com/XP_TCPIP_Repair_d4521.html

Okay the ZA database is easily done....

Boot your computer into the Safe Mode

Navigate to the c:\windows\internet logs folder

Delete the backup.rdb and iamdb.rdb files in the folder

Clean the Recycle Bin

Reboot into the normal mode

The Zone Alarm will be cleaned of all previous settings and data and it will appear as when it was first installed

After the reboot into normal boot, the DNS and DHCP servers will have to be re-entered and as trusted.And do a new setup, if the previous settings have not be backed up.

Something off the topic, but of some interest...

How to troubleshoot TCP/IP connectivity with Windows XP

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314067

Since you have a lot more experience in the PC world than I do, the MS Knowledgebases may be of some interest to you, since they are the genuine thing.

Best regards.

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

drmartin Guest

Thanks for the info. I'll give it a try tomorrow although I may be on the track of something entirely different.

When I tried to run Process Monitor, it showed C:\Windows\System32\ntkrnlpa.exe maybe millions of times. It was hitting it so hard and often that it hung Process Monitor and I had to kill it.

I've been researching ntkrnlpa.exe and it might have something to do with the Windows Registry Repair function. So it might be a corrupt registry entry. But it's time for bed now. I'll do some more research tomorrow.

Thanks again for the info.

Hi DRMartin,

I hesitate to use the name Doc given your original post. LOL. I do have PhD and my name is Philip, so guess what I get!

On behalf of all the people who have tried to help you, I just wanted to say thanks for your patience and understanding. Many people get really upset when we can't solve their problems immediately. Remember, we are just users like you and we are doing our best. I'm sure you are very frustrted but your attitude and patience has been exemplary and we appreciate it greatly!

I really hope we can help you sort out your problems. We are doing our best so please bear with us. It will give us immense satisfaction if we are able to play even small part.

Have a great day, best regards

FrereOP

Hi!may be killing processes with Task Manager is not the best way to troubleshoot, have you tried to start your machine clean from anything else then ZA and see if you still experience the problem?1.) Click Start -> Run
    2.) Type MSConfig in the run box and click OK
    3.) Once in MSConfig, click the Startup Tab
    4.) Remove the checks from everything except ZLClient
    5.) Click the Services Tab
    6.) Place a check in "Hide All Microsoft Services"
    7.) Now remove checks from everything other than TrueVector Internet
    Monitor and click OK.
    8.) Restart your computerFax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Now I am curious what is actually happening. Please tell me about the findings and your solutions, both attempted and successful.

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

alphabeta Guest

Something very strange about those readings .. 400,000,000 ??

Topic: what is read delta and read byte delta ?

My static VSMON Performance .. for comparison ..

Reads: 356,865
    Read Delta: 0
    Writes: 21,519
    Write Delta: 0
    Other: 515,626
    Other Delta: 0

These do fluctuate. But nowhere near your figures.

You could try posting a question at the sysinternals / process explorer forum.

Or .. dare I say it here .. try a different firewall like **bleep**.

I have not tried **bleep** yet but I intend to, for comparison.

oops .. **bleep** has been censored! Sorry.

Message Edited by alphabeta on 04-19-200704:03 PM

I'm a little vague in this area. Can the Performance of the AdminTtools be used to help debug the vsmon.exe?

Just my extra two cents.

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

drmartin Guest

<blockquote><hr>FrereOP wrote:
    Hi DRMartin,

I hesitate to use the name Doc given your original post. LOL. I do have PhD and my name is Philip, so guess what I get!

On behalf of all the people who have tried to help you, I just wanted to say thanks for your patience and understanding. Many people get really upset when we can't solve their problems immediately. Remember, we are just users like you and we are doing our best. I'm sure you are very frustrted but your attitude and patience has been exemplary and we appreciate it greatly!

I really hope we can help you sort out your problems. We are doing our best so please bear with us. It will give us immense satisfaction if we are able to play even small part.

Have a great day, best regards

FrereOP
    <hr></blockquote>

Oh jeez! *smacks head* Well, nice to meet you Dr. Phil!

I've worked the helpdesk so I know how it goes. I used to sign my helpdesk tickets &quot;Dr. M&quot; when I closed them. Of course everybody there knew me and knew I wasn't a Doctor. I have gotten a little testy but I realize you guys aren't paid tech support so I understand. I would call tech support (even though they charge for it which really annoys me!) but I know it's going to be some guy in India or China who I can barely understand and who doesn't even know a bit from a byte or the difference between ram and rom who walks me through some script like I'm a computer user who thinks that his computer has 200 gig of &quot;memory&quot;.

I thought maybe if it was a corrupt registry entry, doing a system restore from even farther back (3 weeks) would solve it. No luck. And the system restore took forever.

I'm going to try that ZA database reset next. I'm also wondering if it's a bad disk sector in the registry. I've run a disk scan but I know that when a disk is going bad, it can often get extremely slow but still read successfully and I've never known of a disk scanner that would check for that.

We had a similar problem in the last company I worked for. We had some backup software that had a strange bug where disk sectors would get duplicated on the tape. I tracked it down to a bug where it was interpreting a &quot;soft read&quot; error (that was where the operating system of the IBM System/36 had to retry the disk read but eventually successfully read it) as a &quot;hard read&quot; error and going back and re-reading the disk and, even worse, appending each read to the buffer. It was a rather embarrassing bug because it was customers whose disks were starting to go bad who were the users who couldn't restore their systems from our backups! Though that wasn't as bad as the bug that caused our optical &quot;jukeboxes&quot; to wipe out backed up data! It's no wonder that company went out of business! *sigh*

Anyway, enough nostalgia. You guys wouldn't happen to know of any software that can scan the disk and detect when it's getting &quot;soft read&quot; errors, would you? Preferably free. I'm getting really sick and tired of buying software that they keep charging you to upgrade and then it becomes so bloated and overly complicated that it's impossible to use any more so I'm trying to use open source software as much as I can these days. It may be quirky and slow and difficult to use (usually) but at least I don't have to pay for quirky, slow, difficult to use software

drmartin Guest

<blockquote><hr>Oldsod wrote:
    Now I am curious what is actually happening. Please tell me about the findings and your solutions, both attempted and successful.

Oldsod
    <hr></blockquote>

I'll do that. At this point it's become kind of a matter of principle. I won't let this stupid software beat me!

drmartin Guest

<blockquote><hr>alphabeta wrote:
    Something very strange about those readings .. 400,000,000 ??

Topic: what is read delta and read byte delta ?

My static VSMON Performance .. for comparison ..

Reads: 356,865
    Read Delta: 0
    Writes: 21,519
    Write Delta: 0
    Other: 515,626
    Other Delta: 0

These do fluctuate. But nowhere near your figures.

You could try posting a question at the sysinternals / process explorer forum.

Or .. dare I say it here .. try a different firewall like **bleep**.

I have not tried **bleep** yet but I intend to, for comparison.

oops .. **bleep** has been censored! Sorry.

Message Edited by alphabeta on 04-19-200704:03 PM
    <hr></blockquote>

Yeah, I pretty much figured 400,000,000 was a little off the charts. By the time I shut down last night it was over 700,000,000! I may end up switching to another firewall but at this point it's a matter of principle. I refuse to let this stupid software beat me! Besides, I renewed my subscription recently so it would be kind of like throwing away my money (not like I don't do that in a million other areas of my life anyway *sigh*).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information