Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: All TCP/IP Connections unuseably slow

drmartin Guest

Default Re: All TCP/IP Connections unuseably slow

<blockquote><hr>fax wrote:
    Hi!
    may be killing processes with Task Manager is not the best way to troubleshoot, have you tried to start your machine clean from anything else then ZA and see if you still experience the problem?

1.) Click Start -&gt; Run
    2.) Type MSConfig in the run box and click OK
    3.) Once in MSConfig, click the Startup Tab
    4.) Remove the checks from everything except ZLClient
    5.) Click the Services Tab
    6.) Place a check in &quot;Hide All Microsoft Services&quot;
    7.) Now remove checks from everything other than TrueVector Internet
    Monitor and click OK.
    8.) Restart your computer

Fax

<hr></blockquote>

Yeah, you might be right. I've been using MSConfig for over a year now because I like tweaking the startup programs from time to time. I'm probably going to try some other stuff first though because, based on the symptoms, I think a conflict from another program is a long-shot.

drmartin Guest

BTW: Just thought I'd mention that I probably don't have more experience in the PC area than you. Almost all of my working experience has been on mini and mainframe computers/servers. PCs aren't my specialty. The only experience I have on them is from home use (and one brief foray into an assembly language modification of a terminal emulation program for the Z80A based micro-computer that CDC made back in the early 80's). Oh yeah, and I did some minor modifications of my last company's &quot;spooled file&quot; backup front-end in Visual Basic.

Three excellent freeware sites for freeware found here>

http://www.freeware-guide.com/dir/util/filedisk.html

http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/200...MUTILITIES.php

http://321download.com/LastFreeware/page10.html

These are safe downloads with no added spyware or trojans.

I have a few more sites, but I am in the laptop with different bookmarks in the browser, so the other links are not presently available.

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Hi Doc Martin, Dr Phil again.

Is is possible to do a bitmapped backup of your drive, store the backup on a tape or disk then scan the disk for errors then restore the backup?

My backup program is "Snapshot" - I think its brilliant because it can store and restore other OS partitions from within Windoze (eg LINUX etc), and you can backup your system then restore it to a bigger disk if you are upgrading.

Alternatively, you could use the disk tools available in LINUX (eg fsck, badblocks and e2fsck). If you don't run LINUX as an alternative OS already, get hold of a bootable LINUX distro (eg Knoppix or Ubuntu) and check out http://felipecruz.com/linux-disk-utilies.php for instructions.

alphabeta Guest

&quot;I refuse to let this stupid software beat me!&quot;

Famous last words.

Another thought .. does zonealarm work o.k. in &quot;safe mode&quot; after rebooting?

But .. I can't remember if Internet connections work in safe mode.

Best regards.
    oldsod

Internet connections will work in safe mode, if Safe boot with Networking is selected in the boot menu. Then the drivers for networking are loaded with the safe boot.

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

drmartin Guest

Sorry I haven't gotten back to you guys sooner. I had other things to do this weekend.

I finally got it working properly but I'm a bit disappointed by the solution. I un-installed Zone Alarm and re-installed it but I was really hoping to find a specific cause such as corrupt registry, bad disk, bad memory, conflicting program, etc. I hate it when the solution is to uninstall and re-install. Oh well, at least it's working.

The things I tried since I last posted were as follows:

1. Finally installed my half terabyte Maxtor OneTouch external drive that I bought a month ago and did a full backup of my system.
    2. Ran PC Mechanic and Eusing Free Registery cleaner to cleanup/fix the registry.
    3. Ran CHKDSK
    4. Disabled all possible services and all startup programs and re-started to see if it was a program conflict.
    5. Un-installed and re-installed ZA.

Thanks everybody for your help!

Thanks for the update.

Unfortunately uninstall/reinstall works for a lot of security software issues.

I'm glad to hear that things are right again.
    Best regards.
    Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information