Thread: Strange IE Behavior

Hybrid View

drbsr Guest

Default Strange IE Behavior

OS: WinXP Pro, no SPZone Alarm Pro v. 7.0.362.00Internet Explorer v. 6.0.2600.000
    The following
    problem occurs on a new HDD clean install of the OS and ZAP after an HDD crash.
    Several times each day I lose internet connectivity through Internet Explorer.
    The ZAP traffic indicators on both the Control Center and the system tray indicate data movement, but there is no indication of activity on my DSL modem.
    If I go to the ZAP Program Control window
    and toggle between "auto" and
    "custom" on the SmartDefense control several times, connectivity is restored.
    All other applications that access the internet are unaffected when this occurs.
    Does anyone know a fix for this?

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro

watcher Guest

Default Re: Strange IE Behavior

Dear drbsr:

Set the permissions for IE6 manually. First, though, make sure the IE program is closed first. Then, click Program Control, Programs tab, and find the entry, Internet Explorer, and right click it and click Remove. Now open IE and check to see that it is displaying again in the Programs tab. You can change the 6 permissions here manually, to your preference. Once changed, the SmartDefense column for that entry changes from Auto to Custom. SmartDefense Advisor will not change them even if its settings are different. Only by deleting the entry will SmartDefense Advisor give permissions again.

These are the settings SmartDefense Advisor gave Internet Explorer on my computer and it works fine on my computer but I only use it for Windows Update:

Trust Level: 3 green bars(Super)
    Access-Trusted: green checkmark(Allow)
    Access-Internet: green checkmark(Allow)
    Server-Trusted: green checkmark(Allow)
    Server-Internet: red X(Block)
    Send Mail: green checkmark(Allow)

Hope this helps.

WATCHER

drbsr Guest

Default Re: Strange IE Behavior

Watcher,
    Deleting the IE entry in control panel and re-establishing it seems to have solved the problem.
    ZAP was obviously confused!
    Thanks for your help.

Thread Information