Thread: I require assistance with ZA & IE vs 7.0.5730.11 - Access / permission problems

megaman Guest

Default I require assistance with ZA & IE vs 7.0.5730.11 - Access / permission problems

On certain activities for example downloading zone alarm, after I have saved zapSetup_70_362_000_en onto my hard drive I then run the program and I receive the the following error message :
    "Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item."If I close zone alarm then I can access the item without error. The operating system is windows XP, IE 7.0.5730.11 and Zone alarm pro vs.7.0.337.00

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro

East Coast of Florida - Lightening/Shark Bite Capital of the World

Default Re: I require assistance with ZA & IE vs 7.0.5730.11 - Access / permission problems

Hi,

Welcome to the Forum!

I am sorry you are having problems and hopefully I will be able to find a solution for you.

PLEASE try the following, if you are interested, but remember you will LOSE your CUSTOMIZATIONS. This will bring the firewall back to the original settings.

I think is your Zone Alarm database has gotten corrupt and does not remember your Zones settings. Reset your database and see if that will fix it. Reset the database this way; you will lose your customizations and will need to reconfigure Zone Alarm.

1. Boot your computer into the Safe Mode.
    2. Navigate to the c:\windows\internet logs folder.
    3. Delete the backup.rdb and iamdb.rdb files in the folder.
    4. Reboot into the normal mode.

How Do I Boot Into Safe Mode?

http://www.laplink.com/support/kb/article.asp?ID=102

PLEASE keep me posted on your results, Thanks.

SlyFox
    "Politeness costs nothing and gains everything".

Click here for ZA Support

Avail. 24x7 - Excl. Holiday

3. Default Re: I require assistance with ZA & IE vs 7.0.5730.11 - Access / permission problems

Thanks SlyFox,
    The remedy you proposed appears to have solved my problem.I closed down zone alarm and installed the updated version.I performed a clean installation, which wiped out the database & customised details.This action has cured the problem I was experiencing.
    Once again, thanks for the help.

East Coast of Florida - Lightening/Shark Bite Capital of the World

Default Re: I require assistance with ZA & IE vs 7.0.5730.11 - Access / permission problems

Hi Megaman,You are Very Welcome, glad to hear your issue has been solved, thank you very much for posting back, and have a Great Day or Evening!SlyFox
    "Politeness costs nothing and gains everything".

Click here for ZA Support

Avail. 24x7 - Excl. Holiday

5. Default Re: I require assistance with ZA & IE vs 7.0.5730.11 - Access / permission problems

For the benifit of others, I would like to suggest the topic of this thread be renamed to to make this message easier to find
    "Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file"
    I would aslo like to vouch for the posted fix.Booting into safe mode and deleteing backup.rdb and iamdb.rdb resolved this problem for me as well.
    More informationI am using ZA security suite, 7.1.078, with Vista Premium on a brand new HP notebookI use Outlook Web Access to obtain e-mail from my job and every time I tried to open an attachment, be it Excel, Word, PDF or any other file type attached,
    I was getting a message "Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file". If I disabled Zone Alarm All attachments opened with no problem, if I re-enabled Zone Alarm and the problem returned.
    I tried the
    fix posted here
    and my problem appears to be resolved, at least I can now open attachments without having to disable Zone Alarm
    Thank YouUserTM

Thread Information